• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

• Members
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:09 AM

I wonder, I wonder…

SPOILERS TO THE LATHE WORLDS! IF YOUR GM FORBIDS IT; DO NOT READ!!

you know…"the Lathe Worlds" introduced this death & flesh centred Tech-Cult. The Hippocrasian Agglomeration (tLW; p.104)… it has this sub-groups of sorts that nowadays focusses on fleshy constructs and gholams… and then their is this "Caste Necrosis Tech-Priest" whose stats list a side arm called a "Ripper Pistole"…like "Ripper Ray"? I begin to wonder…

#2 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:48 AM

I'm pretty sure Ripper Pistols have been canon and normal for awhile as simply a powerful handgun. Don't have a source for you, but I'm positive it's shown up elsewhere.

Plus, Orgryn traditionally use Ripper Guns and those are normal.

My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

#3 blackwell

blackwell

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:07 PM

There is a weapon known as a ripper pistol listed on page 112 of Rogue Trader: Into the Storm which is described as being a rare and particularly nasty pistol capable of firing special bullets which are not only armour piercing but toxic as well however I couldn't say whether or not it matches the one you describe in the lathe worlds book since my copy still hasn't arrived.

If my memory is correct this isn't the first time the ripper pistol has appeared in warhammer 40k though because the tabletop imperial guard character Sly Marbo is supposed to use one as well and given its description that wouldn't particularly surprise me.

#4 Zakalwe

Zakalwe

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:29 PM

Gregorious is specificially referring to a Slaught weapon, which is called somthing like 'ripper ray'.

If the Slaught have infiltrated the Mechanicus then it is time to purge them all.

Interrogator Z (possibly a recongregator).

#5 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

• Members
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:32 PM

blackwell said:

There is a weapon known as a ripper pistol listed on page 112 of Rogue Trader: Into the Storm which is described as being a rare and particularly nasty pistol capable of firing special bullets which are not only armour piercing but toxic as well however I couldn't say whether or not it matches the one you describe in the lathe worlds book since my copy still hasn't arrived.

Ah, I see. Thanks! Zalkawe got my intention right, but it was based on this Ripper-Weapon-Thing…which turns out to be just another murder device in a galaxy of gun. Thanks for the heads up! (it is called this way, right? "Heads up"?).

#6 Darth Smeg

Darth Smeg

Lord Nitpicker

• Members
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:28 PM

A Heads Up is when something is brought to your attention, like imminent incoming danger, etc. The meaning being "lift your heads from your book/whatever task it is you are concentrating on, because something unnoticed is coming".

I don't think it is appropriate in this situation, where you have something clarified.

Tarald - The Dark Lord of Smeg

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on

My House Rules for using Only War (and more) for Dark Heresy games

#7 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

• Members
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:20 AM

I see. It is more like "thanks for the warning!"

Well, then "thanks for pointing me towards the source material given" :)

#8 Ferau

Ferau

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:06 PM

Funny you should mention the connection between the two, did you notice that the artwork here is more or less recycled from the sketches of the Slaugth Infiltrator from MitM?

#9 Kiton

Kiton

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:29 AM

Ripper Pistols are probably the best SP Pistol weapon across all the books. That or the Carnodon, really. It just a matter of picking whether you prefer Accurate or Toxic and Tearing.

Integrate one to your Potentia Coil for extra fun. Though… What happens to an accurate-boosted Storm-shot? Both take the bonuses, or do/can you split it evenly, or can the weapon no longer benefit from extra damage because its not technically a "single shot" even in that mode any longer?

#10 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:12 PM

Zakalwe said:

Gregorious is specificially referring to a Slaught weapon, which is called somthing like 'ripper ray'.

If the Slaught have infiltrated the Mechanicus then it is time to purge them all.

Did someone say there was need for a…purge?

#11 Zakalwe

Zakalwe

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:03 AM

Gurkhal said:

Zakalwe said:

Did someone say there was need for a…purge?

Maybe.  It has been said that some 'scholars' have theorised that the Mechanicus are holding the Imperium to ransom, that they fail to serve the Emperor by holding up an idol as an excuse to do their own thing, and they actively work to surpress knowledge that would advance the Imperium and make it stronger.  Those very same scholars have postulated that if the Mechanicus will not get in line and share knowledge to the Imperiums greater benefit then it might be necessary to purge them.

And when that's done, so the 'scholars' say, the Ministorum should be next.

But that's just what the 'scholars' say…   …right?

Interrogator Z  (okay, more and more likely to be a Recongregator)

#12 Darth Smeg

Darth Smeg

Lord Nitpicker

• Members
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:53 AM

Zakalwe said:

I'm keeping an eye on you, Zakalwe!

--

Inquisitor Smeg

Tarald - The Dark Lord of Smeg

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on

My House Rules for using Only War (and more) for Dark Heresy games

#13 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:05 AM

Zakalwe said:

Maybe.  It has been said that some 'scholars' have theorised that the Mechanicus are holding the Imperium to ransom, that they fail to serve the Emperor by holding up an idol as an excuse to do their own thing, and they actively work to surpress knowledge that would advance the Imperium and make it stronger.  Those very same scholars have postulated that if the Mechanicus will not get in line and share knowledge to the Imperiums greater benefit then it might be necessary to purge them.

Well that's interesting, very, very interesting to hear such theories flourish like so much, or many flowers. You wouldn't know how I come come into, contact, with these scholars would you? I hear its terrible cold where they live and I'm sure they could use some fire to warm them in their scholarly work.

Zakalwe said:

And when that's done, so the 'scholars' say, the Ministorum should be next.

But that's just what the 'scholars' say…   …right?

And they say this of the Holy Church? Most interesting I would say. Most certainly a topic I would like to discuss in depth with them. Every last detail of it.

Zakalwe said:

Watch your steps carefully, my friend. You might slip and I might need to do something about it.

#14 Zakalwe

Zakalwe

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:32 PM

@Darth Smeg who said "I'm keeping an eye on you, Zakalwe!"

I wouldn't have it any other way m'Lord.

I am of course my Inquisitors most faithful servant in the name of The Emperor.

@Gurkhal:

I believe some of these, ahem, 'scholars', ahem, do indeed live in cold places.  Apparrently the group of err, 'scholars' preferring colder climes call themselves 'Spess Wolves' or something like that.  They claim to serve only The Emperor, putting them, I presume, in the same camp as loyal servants of His Inquisition. Ahem, it is also said that other sects of these learned indiviuals dwell somewhere named 'McCragge', and that they are all most devout servants of The Emperor who even refer to themselves as 'Angels' on occaision…  …so the rumor goes.

Of course my most magnificent Inquisitors, I am only relating these, ah, 'rumors' as it is my Emperor blessed duty to do so (glances furtively from side to side). Naturally I mean no offence to the ah, er, 'blessed' institutions of the mechanicus or ministorum (uncrosses fingers).

However I do not wish these ramblings to distract from the most dire of concearns raised by Gregorious, and that remains the possibility that the Mechanicus has been infiltrated by the Slaught.  If it is the case that would be just the pretext we nee… errrr, I mean a cause for the most grievous of worries.

Interrogator Z (What is a recongregator?)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS