R2 D2 the true hero of star wars

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:35 PM

I was just flipping through my cards building potential squadrons lists and I noticed a dot next to R2-D2.  I don't remember the dot being mentioned for upgrade cards, but I assume that it means that R2-D2 is unique an you can only take the upgrade once.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#2 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:36 PM

This leaves opens up some cool potential for later sets, perhaps chewy could be a unique upgrade.

#3 rhaak

rhaak

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:43 PM

R2-F2, R5-D8, R5-K6 and Squad Leader are also unique upgrade cards. 

Does this mean that only one team can have a Squad Leader ? 

#4 R2D2

R2D2

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:36 PM

R2-D2 is a total badass. I always amuse myself by imagining that between episodes 3 and 4, R2 is constantly trying to tell c3p0 about the events of films 1-3, but 3p0 just thinks hes being mental

"yeah sure r2… you were built by Darth Vader and used to roll with Jedi…"

#5 haslo

haslo

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:46 PM

rhaak said:

Would make sense, since there's just one squad when you're building a squad with the squad building rules

Imperials: 13 TIE Fighter, 5 TIE Advanced, 15 TIE Interceptor, 4 Slave I, 6 TIE Bomber, 5 Lambda Shuttle, 3 TIE Defender, 4 TIE Phantom

Rebels: 1 Tantive IV, 1 Rebel Transport, 7 X-Wing, 5 Y-Wing, 4 YT-1300, 6 A-Wing, 5 B-Wing, 5 HWK-290, 6 Z-95, 3 E-Wing

#6 rhaak

rhaak

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:49 PM

Ok, so unique cards count only for your squad ? If you have Luke Skywalker, your opponent can also use Luke Skywalker ?

#7 haslo

haslo

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:59 PM

rhaak said:

Ok, so unique cards count only for your squad ? If you have Luke Skywalker, your opponent can also use Luke Skywalker ?

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood you - yeah, unique cards are only unique per squad. You don't necessarily know what your opponent will field while building your squad, so you can't take their build into account, and there are no rules for resolving uniqueness conflicts between the sides. Two cloned Luke Skywalker can fight each other.

Imperials: 13 TIE Fighter, 5 TIE Advanced, 15 TIE Interceptor, 4 Slave I, 6 TIE Bomber, 5 Lambda Shuttle, 3 TIE Defender, 4 TIE Phantom

Rebels: 1 Tantive IV, 1 Rebel Transport, 7 X-Wing, 5 Y-Wing, 4 YT-1300, 6 A-Wing, 5 B-Wing, 5 HWK-290, 6 Z-95, 3 E-Wing

#8 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:35 AM

haslo said:

rhaak said:

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood you - yeah, unique cards are only unique per squad. You don't necessarily know what your opponent will field while building your squad, so you can't take their build into account, and there are no rules for resolving uniqueness conflicts between the sides. Two cloned Luke Skywalker can fight each other.

Yeah, it doesn't say it on the card, but one person is fielding Luke, and the other is fielding Luuke. And both have visions in their head of an old man saying, "You will kill Luke Skywalker!!!!!"

True, this unique bit sort of throws your immersion, and that's why I think the game should be restricted to Rebels vs Imperials. Then you'd never have this issue because there are currently no pilots on both teams, and the Imperials currently cannot use astromechs (right?). I don't have a problem with squad leader since that's a generic type of unique: each squad should get a squad leader, but no squad should have more than one.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#9 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:39 AM

rhaak said:

The rules do say that if you are playing with allies, then only one of you can have each of the unique cards, but you enemy can repeat cards.

In the tournament I played (and that everyone I played was Imperial) I, and every single player I fought, used Darth Vader. 

#10 spacemonkeymafia

spacemonkeymafia

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:00 AM

When I saw the thread title, I thought this was going to be about how R2 D2 is probably the best upgrade card in the game.  I think he is one of the main reasons why the rebels are competitive- making him the "true hero of star wars".

In a universe where people can and do clone often, I have no issues see a Vader on Vader confrontation.  I wouldn't want to experience it in every conflict as that would get stale but occasionally it is fine to me.  I think the game options aren't open enough yet to prevent you from constantly seeing Vader v Vader confrontations though.

#11 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:38 AM

I suspect Vader and R2 (and to a lesser extent Luke and Biggs) will always be hot. FFG is pretty good at including a few excellent cards in their starters that seem to always stay competitive. 

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#12 haslo

haslo

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:53 AM

Budgernaut said:

I suspect Vader and R2 (and to a lesser extent Luke and Biggs) will always be hot. FFG is pretty good at including a few excellent cards in their starters that seem to always stay competitive. 

Let's hope so, because they're what the OT is about…

#13 R2D2

R2D2

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:17 PM

Hrathen said:

rhaak said:

The rules do say that if you are playing with allies, then only one of you can have each of the unique cards, but you enemy can repeat cards.

In the tournament I played (and that everyone I played was Imperial) I, and every single player I fought, used Darth Vader. 

Now THIS is exactly why I think tournaments should require you to field both a rebel and an imperial squad! Playing with 2 Vaders or 2 Lukes on the battlefield seems odd and clunky and although it is technically possible in the star wars universe, it just doesnt seem to fit with the thematic flow of the game!

Not to mention that people have already said that imp v imp turned out long and boring, with few kills.

FFG spent a long time designing and playtesting this game so that both teams have distinct advantages and disadvntages and play well against each other. seems a real shame to break a well crafted mechanic and the thematic flow of the game…

#14 drkjedi35

drkjedi35

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:53 AM

R2D2 said:

Hrathen said:

rhaak said:

Now THIS is exactly why I think tournaments should require you to field both a rebel and an imperial squad! Playing with 2 Vaders or 2 Lukes on the battlefield seems odd and clunky and although it is technically possible in the star wars universe, it just doesnt seem to fit with the thematic flow of the game!

Not to mention that people have already said that imp v imp turned out long and boring, with few kills.

FFG spent a long time designing and playtesting this game so that both teams have distinct advantages and disadvntages and play well against each other. seems a real shame to break a well crafted mechanic and the thematic flow of the game…

They will never do this for tournaments simply because this game won't only be Rebels and Imperials.  With Lucas's focus on The Clone Wars right now we have to assume that at some point there will be other factions (Republic and Seperatists, as well as Sith, New Republic, Old Republic, Mando, etc.).  Then how would you do it?  I think the current tournament format is just fine and will prove to be fun for everyone.

Roy

#15 DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:44 PM

So it seems that for tourney play this is going to be run like any other wargame.  You bring a faction and you play whom ever you end up getting matched up with.  If you end up fighting your own faction, so be it.  That the Championship game at Gencon was Imp vs. Reb was never a given, unless FFG purposely totaled up the score based on faction (best Imp player vs. best Reb player).  

For scenario/campaign play, things would need to be more specific.

-DavicusPrime

#16 Prathin

Prathin

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:29 PM

I have no problem playing against the same faction.  With so few unique pilot/ship combinations due to this just getting started, I think it would be hard to avoid some duplicate squads right now anyway.

Plus I would not want to play in a tourney where I could not play my chosen squad every round.  Yes being adaptable and knowing how to fly multiple ships opens up a lot of play opportunities for a player, but I prefer possibly facing another Rebel or Imperial. On a side note I would be interested in mixed fleet builds, although thematically it doesn't fit until we get some other factions to unite against.

#17 bsmith13

bsmith13

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:03 PM

As a droid, R2 is definitely worthy of praise.

However, there is a small but vocal faction of Star Wars fans that insist that the entire series is REALLY about another droid:  The incomparable GONK power droid…

I wonder what he could do in an X-Wing.

#18 DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

bsmith13 said:

As a droid, R2 is definitely worthy of praise.

However, there is a small but vocal faction of Star Wars fans that insist that the entire series is REALLY about another droid:  The incomparable GONK power droid…

I wonder what he could do in an X-Wing.

You, sir or madam, are my hero.  As power droids are walking power supplies… shield recharge or super charged primary weapon sounds about right. 

-DavicusPrime

#19 kaffis

kaffis

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:53 AM

When it comes to the people suggesting that tournaments should require players to have both Imperial and Rebel squadrons so that "Mirror Matches" can be avoided, the ultimate argument against that is simply that it's a bad idea to force players to build full squadrons on both sides. $15 a ship isn't cheap when you can be talking 5-8 ships on the Imperial side, and that's assuming the tournament point level stays at 100 long term instead of drifting up to encourage players to keep expanding their forces with new expansions.

#20 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:08 AM

R2D2 said:

Hrathen said:

rhaak said:

Why is it the assumption that FFG wrote their Tournament Rules with out testing the game with those rules (same faction matches)?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS