Monsters you want to see in Talisman?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 kain7th

kain7th

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:52 AM

Talisman has a lot of monsters, but what are some you'd like to see make it in future expansions?

Zombies: I'm surprised we haven't gotten any zombies yet, this would be my first pic. Maybe you could have a card with multiple zombies fighting you at once since they do typically come in packs.

Orcs: We got goblins, ogres, trolls, all the other humanoid creatures, but no orcs. We should have them

Naga: I like the idea of having a naga attack you, maybe have it where if there are multiple characters in one space and the character that fights loses, they all have to roll below their strength or something or lose a life

Skeletons: Seems odd we don't have these creatures in our game, they are common in vritually all fantasy-esque works.

Beholder: This is DnD but Talisman could make good use out of a beholder. if it wins a battle against you you roll a die and see what it's ray beam does to you: petrify, take another life, a strength, craft etc.

Troglodytes: Well i doubt we will see these, but troglodytes would be a neat addition imo

Gremlins: This would be awesome, before you roll a die you roll for each of your objects and if you roll an 1 or 2 the object is destroyed by the gremlin, the mischevious creatures they are!

Gorgon: Gorgons can be powerful creatures and in addition to killing you they petrify you for a turn

Treant: If a forest expansion comes out this would be a good enemy to have. maybe they could slow your movement down if they win a battle against you for a turn.

Behemoth: A fierce creature with like a strength of 10 or more.

What are yours?

#2 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:17 PM

2nd Edition had a band of zombies card, so I think that will come back. Zombies would be good. I think a Zombie Lord either as a boss or powerful enemy should accompany that.

More were-creatures. Reptile-men? 

Giant bugs, maybe not so super big, but swarms; scorpions (nice if we had a desert-scape).  And Insectoid hybrids, Humans with mandibles and an appetite to go with 'em!

Deranged human killers, that, not really monsters, immoral slashing Jack the Ripper types (for the City, of course).

Giant man-eating plants?  Slimy pools of mindless digestive juices. 

I'll get back to you when I think of more.

#3 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:31 PM

I am missing the skeletons, orcs and zombies too.

We have already medusa from the frostmarch which is a gorgon:)

#4 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:42 PM

A Behemoth & a Leviathan! We still need a Giant Lizard!

Ell.

#5 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:41 AM

I also like to see Ghast and the normal Vampire from talisman 2th edition.

#6 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:26 AM

Velhart said:

I also like to see Ghast and the normal Vampire from talisman 2th edition.

I always liked the normal Vampire, as you call it, from Edition 2. I thought, on balance, that Blood Moon could have used at least one more vampire.

We got a Prince of a Vamp in the Dungeon, and another Prince with Blood Moon. There is a board space in the Inner, Vampire's Tower, and I've always felt it was implied he was some sort of Master of all Vampires. (certainly more deadly than the Princes) . 

Maybe we'll get a City vampire - A City's population would be much better hunting grounds, don't you think?

#7 Draii

Draii

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:58 AM

I like monsters who do something more than just hurt you;

Blockers
More sentinels and constructs that blocks the way. So you can't walk past them without fighting them.
This could also be armies av something, which appear randomly at places, and march some spaces if not defeated.

Kraken/watcher in the water
Some water monsters who drag you down in the stormriver and you have to fight for your life. If you win, you always crawls up on the shores of the outer region, even if you where pulled in from the middle region.

Minions
I like the idea with the goblin king in the dungeon, that he summons all goblins to help him fight.
More enemies like this, summoning spritis, cultists, dragons etc. But for some of them to work. it would be nice if it's "minions" had a flee-ability like some monsters already have, so they try not to fight and be killed on their own, but will make a great threat in greater numbers.

Aspect of Death
Spectre who summons the Reaper to you when you lose or win against it (whatever works best)

Powerful stalker
Some kind of "end boss" that appears on the board when a player has reached 10, 12 or something in Strength or Craft:
This monster will stalk the most powerful character and will always be more powerful than him/her. If it catches the player and wins the fight, the player will lose powerful objects, or stats or a talisman or something like that. Thus forcing the players to try to reach the inner region and end the game when they are powerful enought. The stalker can be represented as a Elder god, Kings royal guards, The old wizards guarding spirits or something.

Teleporters
Creatures who will teleport to another space when defeated, unless they are defeated with high enough differance.

Oh, and I wan't skeletons too =D

#8 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:18 AM

0beron said:

Maybe we'll get a City vampire - A City's population would be much better hunting grounds, don't you think?

Indeed.

The City is a good place for a vampire to bite and drain lot's of blood in the neck of all those innocent people:)

#9 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:07 AM

Draii said:

I like monsters who do something more than just hurt you;

Blockers
More sentinels and constructs that blocks the way. So you can't walk past them without fighting them.
This could also be armies av something, which appear randomly at places, and march some spaces if not defeated.

Kraken/watcher in the water
Some water monsters who drag you down in the stormriver and you have to fight for your life. If you win, you always crawls up on the shores of the outer region, even if you where pulled in from the middle region.

Very cool, and cruel!Draii said:

Minions
I like the idea with the goblin king in the dungeon, that he summons all goblins to help him fight.
More enemies like this, summoning spritis, cultists, dragons etc. But for some of them to work. it would be nice if it's "minions" had a flee-ability like some monsters already have, so they try not to fight and be killed on their own, but will make a great threat in greater numbers.

Wow, that is great. I had a thought that there should be a Queen Vamp with a similar ability, drawing upon all other vampire's Craft to battle/psychic battleDraii said:

Aspect of Death
Spectre who summons the Reaper to you when you lose or win against it (whatever works best)
Wicked, kicking them when you're down.Draii said:

Powerful stalker
Some kind of "end boss" that appears on the board when a player has reached 10, 12 or something in Strength or Craft:
This monster will stalk the most powerful character and will always be more powerful than him/her. If it catches the player and wins the fight, the player will lose powerful objects, or stats or a talisman or something like that. Thus forcing the players to try to reach the inner region and end the game when they are powerful enought. The stalker can be represented as a Elder god, Kings royal guards, The old wizards guarding spirits or something.

I like the idea of tying into the old Wizard who started this all.Draii said:

Teleporters
Creatures who will teleport to another space when defeated, unless they are defeated with high enough differance.

Oh, and I wan't skeletons too =D

#10 Nioreh

Nioreh

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:08 AM

Im gonna give all of this thumbs up

As long as there are lots of new monsters, waaay too few at the moment imo.

#11 Nemomon

Nemomon

• Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:31 AM

0beron said:

Deranged human killers, that, not really monsters, immoral slashing Jack the Ripper types (for the City, of course).

Ditto. I would want to see some well known characters from the other media, like books, movies, fairy tales or folklore. Blood Moon brought us Mina Harker, Headless Horseman, Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde, The Phantom of the Opera, Red Riding Hood, Frankenstein's Monster and more. I think these cards can bring a smile to players who already know their origins. For others they will be just yet another cards.

Enter the Talisman Island!

#12 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:18 AM

Nemomon said:

0beron said:

Ditto. I would want to see some well known characters from the other media, like books, movies, fairy tales or folklore. Blood Moon brought us Mina Harker, Headless Horseman, Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde, The Phantom of the Opera, Red Riding Hood, Frankenstein's Monster and more. I think these cards can bring a smile to players who already know their origins. For others they will be just yet another cards.

Now that is a cool idea. Literary-based (and out of copyright!) characters. I think we've had some, without actually naming (The Bride, for example).

If we didn't limit to just literary, we could have ensouled/friendly vampires (Barnabas Collins, or Angel from Buffy). though these would be Strangers or Followers.

#13 evilmg

evilmg

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:51 AM

Nemomon said:

0beron said:

C'mon , who doesn't know Red Riding Hood or Frankenstein's Monster these days? ;)

As a horror fan, I would love to see more creatures from my favourite movie genre. And there's plenty of them. :)

#14 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:58 AM

evilmg said:

C'mon , who doesn't know Red Riding Hood or Frankenstein's Monster these days? ;)

As a horror fan, I would love to see more creatures from my favourite movie genre. And there's plenty of them. :)

As I age (56) I tend to not keep up. What's current?  Are you thinking Freddie/Nightmare types (slashers) ? From the more 'timeless' point of view, things like Lizzie Borden (took an axe, etc.), or 'Candyman' Urban legend types.

I know we have a Mina Harker type slayer, but how about a Slayer type Slayer (in every generation…) I guess the Mina could be that, no copyright issues, there (glances over to Joss Whedon/fans), LOL.

I personally (beyond Monsters) would like to see allegorical fairy tale memes added to Talisman; Sleeping Beauty (when you awaken her, she either gifts you with rewards or can help in some way - immunity to certain spells or witches or ?
Tom Thumb/Thumbelina… now size does matter, but hey, who needs a Key when you got someone to fit through a key hole, or other stealthy things. Mother Goose (a more benevolent Witch I'm never seen) who can solve riddles or puzzles (helps with Craft), Snow White, hmmmm, good housekeeping and maybe makes it easier to befriend Halflings, dwarfs, etc. The Beast (of Beauty and)…. okay, a were-type creature who probably is a kick ass soldier when not Were. The Prince will follow him when he's not a were, the Princess will, when he is?

#15 Wooster Shooster

Wooster Shooster

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:12 PM

I would like the idea of more monsters that grant magic objects. As the game is the adventure deck gets diluted by the magic items (which are necessary, I'm not saying contrary), and gets disappointing when my turn I fight a boar str 1, then the next players draws the skull wand, or lucky charm or some incredible magic item. I like the miser dragin, and the one where you raid the crypt and get to pick an item from the next five adventure cards, and would definitely like to see more enemies like that. Maybe a deck of cool items and a rule making creatures str 5 or higher loot-able (maybe that's a bit complicated).

#16 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:21 PM

Wooster Shooster said:

I would like the idea of more monsters that grant magic objects. As the game is the adventure deck gets diluted by the magic items (which are necessary, I'm not saying contrary), and gets disappointing when my turn I fight a boar str 1, then the next players draws the skull wand, or lucky charm or some incredible magic item. I like the miser dragin, and the one where you raid the crypt and get to pick an item from the next five adventure cards, and would definitely like to see more enemies like that. Maybe a deck of cool items and a rule making creatures str 5 or higher loot-able (maybe that's a bit complicated).

these don't have to be enemy cards either; they could be stranger/event cards. In some mythologies deities or monsters can possibly gift the adventurer. 

So Pandora's box could be this kind of encounter and various rolls may gift or not-so-much.

Off the top of my head, from Norse mythology the Goddess Iduna, who has Golden Apples that grant immortality; correct roll(s) could either heal a life, or totally restore all lives.

Apollo would bequeath lives, but possibly Fate as well. Ares/Mars some sword or battle-mace? Aphrodite or Eros could charm Followers, or soften up Characters or enemies.

All though God/desses, demi-Gods etc are not really Monsters, there are some in the mythos too. Perhaps I'll post some ideas on that too.

#17 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:12 AM

0beron said:

So Pandora's box could be this kind of encounter and various rolls may gift or not-so-much.

I want Pandora's box as a alternative ending:)

#18 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:15 AM

Giant Lizard & Sphinx would still be good!

Ell.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS