Jump to content



Photo

Aircraft compulsory move action question


  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lacrobat

Lacrobat

    Member

  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:51 AM

These questions have probably already answered but my gaming group needs a clarification.

The compulsory movement action is or is not one of the 2 actions a model has during the course of a turn?

  • During a unit phase a Mil Mi-45 (who did not take an action during the command phase) moves its compulsory 12", can it now march move a further 24" for a total of 36" of movement? By the same token can it do a sustained fire after its compulsory 12"
  • During a unit phase a Mil Mi-45 (who did not take an action during the command phase) moves its compulsory 12", can it now make a 0-90 degree turn prior to a march move?
  • During a command phase (if it is in command range) can it take an action (move/shoot) and after transistion into the unit phase can it take an action after the compulsory move? for example: a Mi-45 takes an action during the command phase and turn 0-90 degrees prior to a move of 12", in the following unit phase it takes its compulsory 12" forward and for its remaining action it turns 0-90 degrees and moves a further 12"

 

Is Hover a form of compulsory action interchangeable with the compulsory movement or does it cost an action



#2 blkdymnd

blkdymnd

    Member

  • Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:05 PM

Lacrobat said:

These questions have probably already answered but my gaming group needs a clarification.

The compulsory movement action is or is not one of the 2 actions a model has during the course of a turn?

  • During a unit phase a Mil Mi-45 (who did not take an action during the command phase) moves its compulsory 12", can it now march move a further 24" for a total of 36" of movement? By the same token can it do a sustained fire after its compulsory 12"
  • During a unit phase a Mil Mi-45 (who did not take an action during the command phase) moves its compulsory 12", can it now make a 0-90 degree turn prior to a march move?
  • During a command phase (if it is in command range) can it take an action (move/shoot) and after transistion into the unit phase can it take an action after the compulsory move? for example: a Mi-45 takes an action during the command phase and turn 0-90 degrees prior to a move of 12", in the following unit phase it takes its compulsory 12" forward and for its remaining action it turns 0-90 degrees and moves a further 12"

 

Is Hover a form of compulsory action interchangeable with the compulsory movement or does it cost an action

Your overthinking it slightly.  The compulsory move just means normally an aircraft must spend one action to move 12".  Choppers have Hover, so can ignore the compulsory move and stay put if they want or rotate up to 90 degrees.  I believe, and please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Hover still must use a move action?



#3 Lacrobat

Lacrobat

    Member

  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 01:22 PM

blkdymnd said:

 

Your overthinking it slightly.  The compulsory move just means normally an aircraft must spend one action to move 12".  Choppers have Hover, so can ignore the compulsory move and stay put if they want or rotate up to 90 degrees.  I believe, and please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Hover still must use a move action?

So I lost one action out of my 2 automatically due to the compulsory move? We just had a knock out drag out fight on this question and I was not one of the main combatants



#4 blkdymnd

blkdymnd

    Member

  • Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:00 PM

Lacrobat said:

blkdymnd said:

 

 

Your overthinking it slightly.  The compulsory move just means normally an aircraft must spend one action to move 12".  Choppers have Hover, so can ignore the compulsory move and stay put if they want or rotate up to 90 degrees.  I believe, and please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Hover still must use a move action?

 

 

So I lost one action out of my 2 automatically due to the compulsory move? We just had a knock out drag out fight on this question and I was not one of the main combatants

Duck the chair! :)

And yes, the compulsory move is a 'forced' move for all aircraft.  It represents the momentum of air travel and not being able to stop in mid air.  The thing with hover is you don't have to move, but still have to use a move action to stay in the same spot and are allowed the rotation.  So effectively, aircraft will not be able to perform a sustained attack.

Again, if anyone has a different interpretation, feel free to chime in.  This is how our group has always interpreted it.



#5 blkdymnd

blkdymnd

    Member

  • Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:35 PM

 Ok, after reading it again, we may be playing it wrong.  It's somewhat worded like a free action, but doesn't clearly say whether it is or not.  I will defer to another opinion and see if they agree with our interpretation or not.



#6 blkdymnd

blkdymnd

    Member

  • Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:45 PM

Lacrobat said:

These questions have probably already answered but my gaming group needs a clarification.

The compulsory movement action is or is not one of the 2 actions a model has during the course of a turn?

  • During a unit phase a Mil Mi-45 (who did not take an action during the command phase) moves its compulsory 12", can it now march move a further 24" for a total of 36" of movement? By the same token can it do a sustained fire after its compulsory 12"
  • During a unit phase a Mil Mi-45 (who did not take an action during the command phase) moves its compulsory 12", can it now make a 0-90 degree turn prior to a march move?
  • During a command phase (if it is in command range) can it take an action (move/shoot) and after transistion into the unit phase can it take an action after the compulsory move? for example: a Mi-45 takes an action during the command phase and turn 0-90 degrees prior to a move of 12", in the following unit phase it takes its compulsory 12" forward and for its remaining action it turns 0-90 degrees and moves a further 12"

 

Is Hover a form of compulsory action interchangeable with the compulsory movement or does it cost an action

Alright, got together with my group members, and we were pretty off base.  Here's answers to yours as for what we can see.

1. Yes and yes.  The air vehicle activation is Declare Altitude, Resolve Compulsory Move, Declare Actions, Resolve Actons

2.  Yes, it can do normal march move actions after resolving the compulsory move.

3.  Yes, I believe you're right there.

 



#7 Seblys

Seblys

    Member

  • Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:37 PM

Well I read it and play it as the compulsory move is completely separate and free/forced movement. So as far as I'm aware you can still take 2 actions in the unit phase.



#8 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:18 AM

Agreed, its an extra action if you read as written, but whether thats the intent or not, who knows?  If I was you I'd click the link at the bottom of the page and ask, Zac is pretty quick at responding.



#9 Wardemon

Wardemon

    Member

  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:20 AM

 As written, the forward momentum of the aircraft is taken into account by the compulsary movement.  Helicopters can choose to hover and turn up to 90 degrees instead.  This does not take away from your 2 actions during the unit's activation.  Note the compulsary movement can provoke a reaction just like any of the two actions a unit receives in the activation phase.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS