• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rsaintjohn

rsaintjohn

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:09 AM

I have some feature requests for the General/Standard Polyhedral dice:

1) Ability to change colors. I know from a UI perspective, this is tricky under the current layout. Perhaps a 4 or 6-square color strip under the dice themselves that set a global color. It would be useful to have, for instance, the ability to have same-dice types of different colors. For example, a black D10 and a white D10 on the same field. It would also better match the usage outlined in the EotE book, which illustrates percentile rolls performed with two different D10s. Finally, it would make the dice roller app more useful for other games.

2) Failing that, add an extra D10 into the General category of a different color than white.

I should add that, yes, I know there is a percentile die (00-90). It just isn't outlined in the EotE rules. If nothing else, you may want to coordinate with the book devs for more consistency between the app and the book itself.

Besides, I've often found the usage of percentile dice at the table confusing, counter intuitive and sometimes debated:

- 0 is always 10, and 00 is always 0.
- 00 + 0 equals "10"
- 00 + 1 equals "1"
- 90 + 0 equals "100"

In my mind, it's so much easier and faster to just generate and read percentile rolls with two different D10s.

3) Add a D6 Fudge die (+, blank, -). Nothing to do with EotE, but would make the app, again, more useful for other games.

Thanks for your consideration!

#2 BrashFink

BrashFink

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:44 PM

rsaintjohn said:

Besides, I've often found the usage of percentile dice at the table confusing, counter intuitive and sometimes debated:

- 00 + 0 equals "10"
- 00 + 1 equals "1"
- 90 + 0 equals "100"

Waitaminute… what are you talking about? "0" is never 10 in percentile rolls, this is the same whether there is the "EXTRA zero" (20, 30 40) die or not. You can chose to just omit the other zero.

00 + 1 = 1

00 + 2 = 2

10 + 2 =12

90 + 0 =90

90 + 1 = 91

00 + 0 = 100

Same as it woud be if the extra "0" is omitted.

0+1 = 1

0+2 = 2

1+2 = 12

9+0 = 90

9+1 = 91

0+0 = 100

Etc

#3 rsaintjohn

rsaintjohn

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:36 PM

Sorry, I see now that I left out a key word. How embarrassing! It was supposed to say…

Besides, I've often found the usage of percentile dice at the table confusing, counter intuitive and sometimes debated that:

- 00 + 0 equals "10"
- 00 + 1 equals "1"
- 90 + 0 equals "100"

I've never seen it done this way at a table, and I've never been confused about it. I mentioned it because of a thread years ago on RPGnet where a number of people asserted that the dice are supposed to be read like that.

And since the book just references two 0-9 d10s, I thought the app should better support it.

#4 BrashFink

BrashFink

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:21 PM

I am still missing something i think.

I have seen the kids who are under 20 debaiting this about the percentile dice in various places on forums and it baffles me. The bottom line is they are wrong if they are using the 0 as a 10 in percentiles.

d10… "0" = 10

d100 "0" (or 00) = ZERO

It has been since I bought my first edition book in 1982, will always be. That said I am not sure what you mean by the issue with the dice.

If you look at the 10 sideds in the app, there are 2 dice…

A) one that represents the TENs place (these have 2 digits: 00,10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90)

B) one that represents the ONEs place (these have only 1 digit: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)

For some reason, there was some great debate on if these new dice need to be read different for some reason. The TENs dice came be read same as the always were by OMITTING the second ZERO. The only reason these were written this way, was to assist in telling which die was first. This helped stop issues where players would say "oh the red die was supposed to be first?" and the GM going "Really? it was the black one last time"

00 + 1 = 1

00 + 2 = 2

10 + 0 = 10

10 + 1 = 11

10 + 2 = 12

20  + 0 = 20

all the way to.

90 + 8 = 98

90 + 9 = 99

00 + 0 = 100

In real numbers… there is no "10" digit in counting. You count 1-9… then you add a 0 and mark a place holder 1 in the tens slot to count how many times you have counted to 10. That is exactly how d100 works. When you get to 99… same thing… move a 1 to the hundreds place and continue. since there is not 3 dice (obviously) this 100 is represented by "0+0" (or 00+0).

I have been rolling the dice for 5 minutes and am not sure what you are meaning. Unless you are commenting that the ICON for the ONEs dice shows a 10 on the icon… but that would just be silly because if you had used the dice, you would see it is actually a "0" like all d10s

#5 rsaintjohn

rsaintjohn

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:42 PM

You're spending way too much time trying to train me in something I already know. I've been gaming since '78, I get it, believe me.

My point was only this: look at page 11 of EotE. It instructs the players to make percentile rolls with two d10s, specifically. It's even pictured. Now go replicate that in the app. You can't. In the app, you have to use the percentile die, which is not illustrated in the rules.

It was merely a suggestion for consistency between the app and the rulebook. Which I have clearly said 3 times now, so I'm done in this thread.

#6 BrashFink

BrashFink

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:56 PM

Yeah, I see that you get it. Sorry, was not trying to train you lol. I didn't understand on your first post, but understood on 2nd. I was just trying to make sure anyone who read this thread whom might have some confusion would understand clearly. There are SO many threads all over with these 15 year olds who were SO baffled by these dice when they were introduced. I was mind blowing to me. What was worse… they seemed to not understand the single digit ones either.

I was also trying to point out that I do not allow mixed colors. I have had a few "cheaters" that have ruined that for me over the years so I welcomed the Tens dice.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS