• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 01:39 AM

Hi everyone

Since it may be only days (WE HOPE!) til we get any actual info on specifics, a last chance to guess what features the landscape of the board will have.

Me: I keep thinking that the river on the main board seems to flow into what will be the new City (and Village too, actually) board. Will there be occasional bridges to cross over? Will there be a 'new' aspect of rafts or boats for conveyance?

I think it would be cool if this river coursed mostly around the outer edge of the board and you could possibly pay someone to travel the river and move faster or more efficiently towards the end or other spaces. Sort of like 2 or 3 'docks' spaces where you can get on or get off. A watery subway train?

Like some of you I'm wondering if the board will be like the 2nd, basically a square that you can go around and around, or one-way driven towards an end space and a possible Boss to defeat.

Maybe it could be a combination of both? An actual "square" in the center (with that fountain, natch!) but a route of City streets would mostly wrap around it. You could enter the square off of the route at four cardinal entrance points (and leave that way too).

Spaces to encounter?  How about a Grand Hotel. You pay minimum 2 or 3 gold, but have to stay 2 turns (lose these turns), …. but… you are refreshed and revitalized! (HEALED, 1 LIFE).   Additionally there could be a Hotel Physician who for extra gold could heal more seriously wounded characters. If it were possible to tie it into the day/night mechanic, neat, but some days and nights last quite a few turns…

A bank - to store either gold or special objects - for a fee!. Now I'm not sure how the dynamic would help you get access to these items, if you move on to another board, but maybe the bank employs special couriers, or carrier pigeons (at another fee) to wing these things to you when you need them. Again, the dynamic and timing would be important { Oh no! I'm encountering the Eagle King in the Highlands, and need that special magic object- hope the pigeon can fly it here NOW - L.O.L. ! }   Of course banks do other things to like loan money.  And of course banks can be robbed!

Maybe it could be possible to buy a house in the City, then you have your own storage unit for excess *and* a place to rest and heal. Store extra horses, followers you wouldn't use often etc.  [ and a negative caveat: the place you could be House Arrested at }

I still want to see a City sewer (space) that might accidentally or otherwise flush you down to the Dungeon. That would be cool! Or options: die roll 1: flushed to the Dungeon (should be some space within it, not the entrance) 2-3 fight an alligator in the sewer, strength 4?, 4-5: move that many spaces ahead (come out another "sewer". 6: Find 2 or 3 gold down below?

Of course I would like to see updates of the Magic Emporium (I think that was it) and Anarchists/Thieves/spell-caster guilds. a High Temple with slightly different options, a Teleport or passage to the Temple in the Middle, or being charged with a Holy Quest to provide safe passage for the High Priest to the Middle Temple?

Maybe there could be two end bosses, depending on paths taken; The God-Priest of the City (can upgrade your Craft and give spells or fate too).  The City Crime Boss who give you an evasion device, or new 'henchmen' followers.

Blah blah blah!

#2 Thee Forsaken One

Thee Forsaken One

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:15 AM

I kind of like the idea of their being a central place you go to but then you can either go back or explore the less 'safe' sides of the city. Maybe a rich and poor side like you mention? I'm not entirely sure but I think that could be interesting.

Could perhaps even (Going by the cover) be a city living in terror of what goes on in the streets at nigh (Or perhaps even in broad daylight!)t. Whether it uses Day/Night mechanics is another matter but it could be the City is no longer safe and so the adventurers go in to clear out the monsters/cultists/evil does and also get some loot while they're at it.

I don't see them making it possible to be flushed down into the Dungeon (At least not in the City expansion) but they could add it in for the big box after they've done their fourth corner.

#3 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:33 AM

TheeforsakenOne said:

I kind of like the idea of their being a central place you go to but then you can either go back or explore the less 'safe' sides of the city. Maybe a rich and poor side like you mention? I'm not entirely sure but I think that could be interesting.

Could perhaps even (Going by the cover) be a city living in terror of what goes on in the streets at nigh (Or perhaps even in broad daylight!)t. Whether it uses Day/Night mechanics is another matter but it could be the City is no longer safe and so the adventurers go in to clear out the monsters/cultists/evil does and also get some loot while they're at it.

I don't see them making it possible to be flushed down into the Dungeon (At least not in the City expansion) but they could add it in for the big box after they've done their fourth corner.

I like the idea of more Danger in the City, as the Cover with Water Demon/Elemental seems to show. Yeah, I get that about the sewer connecting to the Dungeon (keeping hope alive for future sets, as you suggest). 

and you're right, every City has rich/poor or good/bad side of it.  And although use of the Day/Night mechanic is 'game-wide' a specific mechanic in the City or other boards needs to be thought out.

Would it be too hard/wordy/etc to have optional rules for Day-Night per a board space:   The wording on spaces or cards would have to imply the mechanic without demanding it.  Tricky, but maybe not for a talented game developer.   "The sun is shining through the High Temple windows, revealing a renegade Cultist who attacks"   Sort of an event (and implying a change to Day, rather than opposite previous), and of course the Cultist is -1 'cuz its day.

"Dark clouds move, revealing the Full Moon and a Werewolf jumps out from the corners of the King's Square"  Again, sort of an event that changes the time to night. Optionally, if you are using the day night, then you can either move the NPC werewolf to that space or also use the card as a regular enemy 'Werewolf'.

These examples, in my mind could work with or without the specific day/night mechanic.  Its in the wording

#4 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:16 AM

If they were to make the new City board, longer, larger to fit up against the Dungeon board it would also have adjoining country side, similar to that area of the main board Outer region; fields, plains, woods and you could cross more or less freely from the main board to those areas. There could be a "back door" or secret way into the City from the back of that board - maybe you sneak in through Oberon's Omnipresent Sewer!

But more field spaces means more danger on the Night of the Pumpkin King too (right? or some other space?)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS