Thougs and Opinons on "The Koronus Bestiary" [SPOILER!}

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

• Members
  • 2,786 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:44 AM

Hi folks! What do you think about the creatures of the KB ? Here are my thoughts and opinions

!!!!!!!SPOILER WARNING!!!!!!!!
All of you players should leave this topic alone, otherwise you might spoil the suprises your GM worked and paid for to bring them to you

Overall: It is very obvious that the developers wanted to make sure that a lot of the creatures could be used no matter what planet the game takes place. The following creatures come equipped with reasons/excuses to place them wherever the Storytellers sees fit

Clawed Fiend; Creeping Stalker; Kyhmera; The Medusa;Razorwing; Thornmaw; Ur-Ghul

While I appreciate the intend to have beasts for every occasion (after all, this is why a lot of GM buy such books) I think that instead of making “everything possible everyware” a section about “more generic beasts” with some hints and tweaks to fit them into any given environment might have been an even better approach. But this might only be me.

The high number of Dark Eldar references is (put together with “Soul Reaper”) a clear indication that FFG will centre things in the Koronus on them. And perhaps somewhere else as well, the BC players are no strangers to them, too.

A good thing is the added pictures for Burnscour, Orn and Vaporious. It is alway good to become a better feel for a world a player might return to. Even if it is just tidd bits.

Clawed Fiend
I was surprised to see this one again. It was shown as a sketch in the third Edition of the WH40K Tabletop rules. Quiet defty beast although I am not sure how a tough hide and fur is able to provide as much armour as modern armour. Anyway, it comes with a fine amount of wounds and this is a good thing: after all, we do not want the “terror of today” to go down after the first volley of bolts, do we?

Creeping Stalker
The classic fantasy ambush beast, bursting forth from beneath the ground to maim as many of your group before your superior firepower safes the day. Excellent to cull those NPC troops any sane RT will have with them.

Kyhmera
The Warpbeasts of the DarkEldar turned into a phenomenon of their own. And a more powerful if I compare these to the first stats from Black Industries. A thing that feels odd is the size trait. Is such a beast really as big as a Sentinel Walker or a Krootox? Anyway, the Phase Trait turns them into a nightmare now. Not a chance in hell to shoot them before they are closing in for the kill….

Killian´s Bane
If you ask me, this is just the bigger and meaner version of the Creeping Stalker. The “Gulp Attack” is nice, so. But it has for to view wounds for its size. It is Immense and comes with 41 wounds will the hulking Clawed Fiend comes with 48 wounds. Yes, if you just take out one segment it will die, but I would go for the following house rule here

Cut it in two! Unless attacks are aimed (-20) to hit the same spot as before, the creatures wound total is treated as 100. While aimed attacks are counted separately for this purpose, they DO count against the total of 100 as well.

The Medusa is a treat I do not know if I like it or not. The head-attaching-parasite thing is tried & true since “Alien”, but somehow I cannot get warm with it. Of course, I have you use an Invasion of this things on a group of NPC the PC know and value you might have the fun of watching your killer-barbies pulling their punches.

Mukaali
Nice to have one simple herbivore here… but since they book is otherwise not giving a s**t about beasts or burden or utility, I wonder what this entry is doing here. Do not get me wrong, I would have loved to have some article about “complete eco systems” but one Mukaali simply isn´t doing the trick.

Razorwing
This is an entry I cannot like at all. All of the 40K-Monsters are “beyond real” in order to be a threat to warriors armed with loads of high-tech. But these are simply overpowered Avian Ueber-Predators. Scrawyn birds with a fighting prowess, strength and durability rivalling some human cult assassins. Luckily the book labelled them “genetically designed”.

Sand Tiger
A nice trap animal which comes with a luxury reason not to shoot it. But outside a hunting situation (where one is after the trophy) I doubt that it will last long. It is a semi-stationary target, after all.

Shadowkith
Somehow, FFG has not given up on Grace. Guess we will see somebody going there soon. But unless used in high numbers I do not see any danger for an RT here.

Species X-10198.rk is mainly useful because of the extra information added in the article (“Orn fumbles with your higher brain functions if you stay to long!”). Sadly, no rules for this effect where given.

Terrorax is another one from Burnscour and one we know about from the freebees. I would have liked to learn a little more about Burnscour. About the rain, about how the flora and fauna deals with it. A good thing that these creatures seem to act in small packs. One alone would not survive long enough. Again, some kinds of natural xenos armour seem to be as hard as steel (AP:6). But we are 40K, we are used to it. Still, this is something to spring from ambush, grab someone and retreat up a tree. Good for culling the NPC.

Thornmaw has a special rule that does not makes sense to me. If it is able to hover(4), how should it become “ground bound”? Is its supernatural ability to hover broken as soon as it touches the ground? Can it only hover at set height but never gain altitude? If so, how did it come into its position in the first place? Or is this meant as a “one round penalty” while it is lifting off again?
Otherwise, another creature to ambush your PC with from above.

The Unquenched but some more danger onto Vaporious. The psychic undead. Nice horror twist on the traditional zombie.

Ur-Ghul is one of my favourites. While it is still one of these Dark Eldar Toy things, it is a nice thing to let loose on the PC in an abandoned colony. I personally would at the FRENZHY Talent to take effect as soon as they were able to grapple somebody and use their bite to damage them in the following round.

#2 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:07 AM

I've been scouring book stores in the Portland area for over a month for this book, and can't find it anywhere. Not sure if Portland got skipped, or if stores just under-ordered and sold out immediately. I held off on ordering it from Amazon because I like the 'instant gratification' of being able to read it while sitting on the can the same night that I paid for it. D'oh!

I came up with home-brew stats for Clawed Fiends, Sslyth, and Ur-Ghuls which I posted over in the Dark Heresy House Rules Forum, well before KB came out; I'm curious to see how close I came…

Razor-Wings do seem kinda cheesy, but they date back to the very first edition of 40K, which buys them some leeway…

#3 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:15 PM

If you're willing to drive up to Olympia, there's at least one store that has a few copies in stock.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#4 Ferau

Ferau

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:59 PM

I snagged a copy from Guardian Games in PDX the week it came out. 

They're generally pretty good about getting FFG books on time.

#5 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

• Members
  • 2,786 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:11 PM

Adeptus-B said:

I came up with home-brew stats for Clawed Fiends, Sslyth, and Ur-Ghuls which I posted over in the Dark Heresy House Rules Forum, well before KB came out; I'm curious to see how close I came…

Razor-Wings do seem kinda cheesy, but they date back to the very first edition of 40K, which buys them some leeway…

As you wish :)

The Clawed Fiend…is a DarkEldar Beast as well?!? Well, from that point on it is safe to say that 2012 is the year of the Dark Eldar.

You are quiet close to what they did. The KO-Version is  stronger and much more resilent (Unnatural Toughness) and comes with Unnatural Trait (Perception) as well. The willpower of the KO-Beast is lower, so, and it comes with a special trait for its wounded fury.

The Ur-Ghul ends up a tat weaker then the TT-stats suggest and less agile then in your stats. While I did not compare the Talents/Traits on the claw-fiend it is worth to mention that the Ur-Ghul comes with a flurry of Talents that makes it menace in combat. Not to the point where it would a threat while outnumbered but in one-one close combat they to reckon with. The BLIND is included but countered by Unnatural Senses (Taste; Smell) with a range of 20m (good indicator; I would say).

EDIT: Would you ask me a question in turn, Adeptus-B? Are the new "Warp Beasts" really that huge (see above) now?

#6 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:58 AM

Ferau said:

I snagged a copy from Guardian Games in PDX the week it came out. 

They're generally pretty good about getting FFG books on time.

Already checked- they were sold out well before I got there…

Gregorius21778 said:

EDIT: Would you ask me a question in turn, Adeptus-B? Are the new "Warp Beasts" really that huge (see above) now?

'Khymerae' are a new type of 'elite' warp beast; the lesser types (as depicted in Shades On Twilight) are still around, too.

#7 Warmaster Picklehauber

Warmaster Picklehauber

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:07 AM

Amazon.com, still lists it as having a release date of "January 8, 2013". Although there is a linke gaming vendor who is selling new copies (for full price).

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS