Photo

No co-op…? Then how about this question.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 radioboyeric

radioboyeric

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:46 PM

Unfortunately with the news of star wars becoming PVP, does anyone think that FFG wil ever do another co-op LCG? IMHO, Star Wars would have been perfect, but obviously for their own reasons FFG couldn't make a solid version, so with that being said, what theme would everyone be excited to see come down the pipe? I personally would like to see a space theme or maybe even a Blood Bowl fantasy theme perhaps. 

Im just unhappy about the fact that they ditched the co-op version (and rightfully so if it was crap, props to them not releasing a crap game). Like many I was looking forward to it. 

#2 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:53 PM

I thought (and still do think) that the Star Wars theme is perfect for a co-op LCG, at least certainly the classic trilogy era is, so I am a bit saddened by the loss of the game-that-was. But how would they do another co-op LCG? I mean, LotR is pretty solid, I think, as a game design, and whether that is blinkering me to any other possibilities I don't know, but I can't see how they could do it that would make it sufficiently different that it wouldn't risk being called a clone. 

If they do decide to produce a co-op game, LCG or otherwise, I would like to see them try it in the Star Wars universe. Other than that, I have no real interest in any other theme. 

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#3 pomomojo

pomomojo

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 01:04 PM

radioboyeric said:

Unfortunately with the news of star wars becoming PVP, does anyone think that FFG wil ever do another co-op LCG? IMHO, Star Wars would have been perfect, but obviously for their own reasons FFG couldn't make a solid version, so with that being said, what theme would everyone be excited to see come down the pipe? I personally would like to see a space theme or maybe even a Blood Bowl fantasy theme perhaps. 

Im just unhappy about the fact that they ditched the co-op version (and rightfully so if it was crap, props to them not releasing a crap game). Like many I was looking forward to it. 

A co-op probably needs to have a dominant force of evil that the players have to overcome, so, yes, the Star Wars theme would work very well.  That being said, I'm not convinced that LCGs and co-ops are a good mix.  The main selling point of an LCG is the changing options for card building that come out each month.  In PvP LCGs any power creep is no big deal since both players have access to the powerful cards.  And if you choose to skip a chapter pack or two it might not hurt your deck very much. 

With a co-op, however, only one player is creating a more powerful deck with the new cards in each month's chapter pack.  The players get stronger and stronger because they have more and more options for fine-tuning their deck and creating powerful combos.  This means that the designers have to make the quests harder and harder.  But if the quests keep getting harder then it becomes impossible for new players to pick and choose a few random quests to try.  You almost have to buy all the chapter packs or else you end up playing against a quest that was made to be a challenge against fully realized decks. 

I like the LotR game system and think making it co-op was a good idea if only for the novelty.  Still, I don't think I will continue to buy expansions for it.  Already I feel like the challenge is beginning to wane.  Sure the first time I play a quest I might get destroyed, but once I see a few of the card interactions it's not that difficult to make a deck that specifically deals with that quest.  Now there are ways to make the game more challenging such as picking random quests or doing multiple quests in a row with the same deck, nevertheless the metagame aspect of deckbuilding is severely limited in a co-op.

But to get back to the original question, I suppose some sort of super hero universe would make for a good co-op LCG if they felt the need to do it again.  Or zombies or some post-apocalyptic world.  Maybe even Greek mythology.  Or they could stick with the Android universe and make a co-op version of Netrunner.    

#4 oDESGOSTO

oDESGOSTO

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:18 AM

Pomomojo said it all.

But another thing I have in mind is that the Evil side of the themes attracts you so much you want to play it.
That was the main reason people complained about the CoOp version of SW:LCG on GenCon'11. Even the LoTR theme offers so much rich diversity on their evil side as you see in the miniature game or the oldie Middle-Earth CCG.

To do a good CoOp, the company has to grab a theme with a strong Evil side, but a side that don't attract the players interest as well.
I'll give you two example of my own:
Zombies, I'm not that fan of Zombies that would make me wanna play them. (but also the market is saturated with against Zombies games)
Aliens: I see Aliens being a menace to planet Earth, but I also liked to play with them in other games, both boardgames or PC games as UFO.

It's really difficult to grab a cool theme for a CoOp game. LoTR is fine but I've passed that game since I disliked its mechanics and also the fact I would like to control a horde of Sauron's Minions.

Hey… wait a minute!! I just remind a cool IP that could give a cool CoOp LCG game: Supernatural (TV Series)
I'm not that interested in playing Demons or supernatural freaks as they are shown on that TV series, so I guess it would be a good theme, at least for me.

#5 aussiecossie

aussiecossie

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:39 PM

I have a game at home called Sentinels of the Multiverse in which you each control a super hero and defeat a super villain with default actions. It's a co-op card game that's a lot of fun to play. But I reckon it would make an awesome lcg if it was set in the Marvel universe. Imagine playing as one of the X-men or the avengers or the fantastic four (or any combination of marvel heroes) and take on a super villain like dr doom or Loki. It would even work as an asymmetrical 1 vs 4 game if done right.

#6 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:31 AM

aussiecossie said:

I have a game at home called Sentinels of the Multiverse in which you each control a super hero and defeat a super villain with default actions. It's a co-op card game that's a lot of fun to play. But I reckon it would make an awesome lcg if it was set in the Marvel universe. Imagine playing as one of the X-men or the avengers or the fantastic four (or any combination of marvel heroes) and take on a super villain like dr doom or Loki. It would even work as an asymmetrical 1 vs 4 game if done right.

But see, that suffers from the same problem because a lot of the Marvel bad guys are really popular and people will want to play as them. As has been said, I think that's a big reason why SW went PvP instead, much to my chagrin. 

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#7 Pvthudson01

Pvthudson01

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:03 PM

no co op no sale

#8 Davy Back Fight

Davy Back Fight

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:33 AM

Pvthudson01 said:

no co op no sale

Aw that's a shame!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS