Earning experience against board specific monsters

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lordwoot877

lordwoot877

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:27 PM

OK fellow Talisman players, I have a question that I have never gotten a straight answer on. 

With the board having specific locations with monsters on it (Sentinel, Forest, Crags, Tavern) I have had several players argue that killing one of these provides experience.  I have a house rule that says you cannot earn experience off of these encounters, as it will break the game and since you cannot collect any of them as trophies they don't count.  So, I'm trying to put this to bed once an for all and would love to hear from the community…or a moderator.  What say you fellow gamers?!

#2 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,292 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:48 PM

Sounds like you once played the 3rd edition, none of the other editions have used experience (IIRC), it's always been trophies that you collect. In R4th, you can only get trophies from Adventure cards with the Enemy keyword, nothing else.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#3 Wooster Shooster

Wooster Shooster

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:56 PM

Though the official answer is as above, the way we play with my buddies is that if you roll for it (thus making the odds of actually fighting that battle really quite low) then it grants experience. Examples are in the tavern, forest, and also, say, the cave. And we do not allow experience to be gained from something that is always in that place and so easily repeatable, ex the sentinel, pit fiends, werewolf.

#4 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,292 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:52 PM

Wooster Shooster said:

Though the official answer is as above, the way we play with my buddies is that if you roll for it (thus making the odds of actually fighting that battle really quite low) then it grants experience. Examples are in the tavern, forest, and also, say, the cave. And we do not allow experience to be gained from something that is always in that place and so easily repeatable, ex the sentinel, pit fiends, werewolf.

But this doubles the odds of getting a stat gain (or close to it via XP) from Forest and Crags (1 and 6 now give you stats), which turns them from semi-annoying to very good in terms of potential gain, not something I see the point of.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#5 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:36 AM

Wooster Shooster said:

We do exactly the same! However the experience has to be used that turn (as there are no experience counters). If a player does not have enough experience + trophies to gain a stat, then the experience disappears at the end of the turn.

Dam that should make you feel a little better about it lol

Ell.

#6 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:56 PM

We play as El advises above. If you can't use up those S/C none card trophy points by the end of your current turn… POOF! They are gone. But I hadn't thought about the issue of "rolled" creatures vs. ones that are always present because our group does not exploit the latter.  Might be a good rules modification just the same.

#7 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:02 PM

Yes much better using randomly appearing creatures for experience rather than including the Sentinel, Werewolf, and Pit Fiends!

Ell.

#8 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:21 AM

I'd also imagine that the end-boss monsters on expansion boards should be excluded as well.

#9 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:41 AM

Well yes of course, they are fixed board creatures after all. Definitely no experience!

Ell.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS