Misprint

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 NotAZombie

NotAZombie

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:35 PM

Someone may have already posted this before, but I just noticed a misprint. Both Eomund and West Road Traveller have collectors info of 30. Also Traveller should be Traveler :)

#2 John85

John85

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:25 PM

NotAZombie said:

Someone may have already posted this before, but I just noticed a misprint. Both Eomund and West Road Traveller have collectors info of 30. Also Traveller should be Traveler :)

Both Traveller and Traveler are correct, depending on what side of the pond you are on (Tolkien was British, hence the LL UK spelling). WRL ought to be numbered SoM 121 (it seems), while Eomund is correctly numbered SoM 30. This kind of misprint isn't terribly frustrating (it seems to me), what really bugs me is a when a (well-known) direct quote is misspelled. This is the case on Dwarrowdelf 132 which reads "O Elbereth! Gilthonial!" rather than "A Elbereth! Gilthoniel!" I mean it's a direct quote (that is repeated several times) from an Elvish hymn.

#3 NotAZombie

NotAZombie

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:39 PM

Ah, didn't know about the alternate spelling. I'll agree it isn't a big deal in the slightest. Just a curiosity.

#4 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:20 AM

This is actually something I have been quite angry about, the American spelling. I am neither British nor American but since Tolkien wrote in British English, I feel strongly the card text should follow suit. I really see no reason why it should not since Americans will surely understand - or they should when they read Tolkien. It also feels strange to have the same words written two different ways on the card, one way in the game text, the other in the quotation from the book.

Favor of the Lady for Tolkien's sake?

#5 John85

John85

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:07 AM

lleimmoen said:

This is actually something I have been quite angry about, the American spelling. I am neither British nor American but since Tolkien wrote in British English, I feel strongly the card text should follow suit. I really see no reason why it should not since Americans will surely understand - or they should when they read Tolkien. It also feels strange to have the same words written two different ways on the card, one way in the game text, the other in the quotation from the book.

Favor of the Lady for Tolkien's sake?

And it does.

#6 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:13 AM

No, it doesn't. 8)

Tolkien writes "favour," the game writes "favor."

I know this is nitpicking but since it was mentioned…

#7 richsabre

richsabre

Moby the Goldfish

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:25 AM

lleimmoen said:

No, it doesn't. 8)

never even noticed that…..you would have thought i would have being english. im going to look from now on to see which others are like this

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#8 John85

John85

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:36 AM

lleimmoen said:

No, it doesn't. 8)

I was talking about "west-road traveller" in the OP. I didn't even see what you were getting at with "Favor of the Lady" (although I do now).

#9 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:47 AM

Yeah, sorry I was not clear. I think there have been several times they "chose" the American spelling. It is then interesting, and I am glad, they went with traveller.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS