Advanceable ICE

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DeathByLiche

DeathByLiche

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:57 AM

So for the new advanceable, I am assuming that they can be advanced both before and after they are rezzed. I haven't seen anything in the rulebook and since there was no advanceable ICE in the original I'm not quite sure on this point. Does anyone know for sure?

#2 hollis

hollis

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:22 AM

Pg. 14 of the rulebook says:

"For [click] and 1 [credit], the Corporation adds one advancement token to an installed card. Agendas can always be advanced while installed. Cards other than agendas can only be advanced if their text box allows it. There is no limit to the number of times a card can be advanced.

Note: If a card’s text box says that the card can be advanced, the card can be advanced even when the card is unrezzed."

#3 mkultra

mkultra

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

And if a card lets you "add an advancement token to any card that can be advanced" you could put them on the ice, rezzed or unrezzed.

#4 DeathByLiche

DeathByLiche

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:51 AM

mkultra said:

And if a card lets you "add an advancement token to any card that can be advanced" you could put them on the ice, rezzed or unrezzed.

I hadn't thought of that! That could be a good combo with both matrix analyzer and autoscript to prevent the runner from being able to make it in on a run.

#5 Anarchosyn

Anarchosyn

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:53 PM

DeathByLiche said:

mkultra said:

I hadn't thought of that! That could be a good combo with both matrix analyzer and autoscript to prevent the runner from being able to make it in on a run.

Not sure I follow. Advanceable ice can be advanced with credits during a run, and Agenda's can't be scored on a run. I guess Matrix Analyzer and Astroscript Pilot Program could be useful to advance ice if you're low on credits, but it seems a waste if you have them already. 

#6 Khudzlin

Khudzlin

• Members
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:12 PM

Advancing a card with a credit costs one click. Advancing it with AstroScript doesn't. That's the whole point of AstroScript, imo.

#7 DeathByLiche

DeathByLiche

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:25 PM

Anarchosyn said:

DeathByLiche said:

mkultra said:

Not sure I follow. Advanceable ice can be advanced with credits during a run, and Agenda's can't be scored on a run. I guess Matrix Analyzer and Astroscript Pilot Program could be useful to advance ice if you're low on credits, but it seems a waste if you have them already. 

No you cannot advance ICE with credits during a run EXCEPT with autoscript and matrix analyzer. Otherwise yes it would be a waste, but this way you can bluff the runner by beefing up the strength of a piece of ICE midrun when the runner didn't expect it.

#8 Anarchosyn

Anarchosyn

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:07 AM

DeathByLiche said:

Anarchosyn said:

DeathByLiche said:

mkultra said:

No you cannot advance ICE with credits during a run EXCEPT with autoscript and matrix analyzer. Otherwise yes it would be a waste, but this way you can bluff the runner by beefing up the strength of a piece of ICE midrun when the runner didn't expect it.

Ah yes, I was thinking they were paid for abilities like what appears on icebreakers. My bad, headcold. 

#9 Apophenia

Apophenia

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:21 AM

Anarchosyn said:

Actually, you can. Show me where you can't? You can use paid for abilities during that portion of the run, according to the timing diagrams. 

Advancing a card takes a Click and a Credit. Since it is the Runner's turn you have no Clicks…. so you can't Advance the card without a special ability. (Like Matrix Analyser)

#10 Penfold

Penfold

• Members
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:12 AM

Yes but both Matrix Analyzer and Astroscript let you place an advancement counter on a card that can be advanced. So the token gets there anyway, through a card effect rather than a game mechanic. Perfectly legal.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS