What next after the 4th corner?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Old Master

Old Master

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:40 AM

It’s getting hard to find a good general question as the most relevant ones have already been ask and answered.

So let me get ahead and ask what the general Talisman gamer would like to see after the 4 corners are released?

Would you like to see more small box expansion being release on a regular basis?

Small box expansion that would bring more interaction between regions, including trap doors or catapult or secret doors? (you’ve been catapult from a secret trap in the highland to the wharf in the city!).

Attempt to do more big box expansion?

Start working on the 5th edition?

Do a deluxe edition?

An anniversary edition?

Or maybe something I haven't mention here!

Talisman legion, let your voice be heard!

#2 Draii

Draii

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:38 AM

I'd like to see a nice book of rules, when all expansions is included with erratas and put together so they adress the basic rules and the alternative or expansion rules as sub-comments.

I'd also would like to see some real small expansions/add-on packs, they could just include 3-10 cards, or 1 extra character with miniature, or some extra markers/gold etc. I love those small expansions that Carcassonne has; Adding some new mechanic like the river. And the official tiles in some magazines.

A Talisman card-shuffler the adventure cards fit in.

Since the inner region already have three alternative versions, I think they will keep adding border expansions as alternatives to the ones we have, as long as the game is popular.

#3 Jimmythecritic

Jimmythecritic

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:34 AM

I have to say that i would love to see a box/pack/something that everything fits in. And, though this is no deal breaker, it could have a card tray that could be lifted out to sit beside the board and hold the cards/discard piles. It should definitely have a decent miniatures containment area…

#4 Tavicz

Tavicz

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:42 AM

I would like to see some extra or optional abilities for current characters. I mean lists of abilities for current characters which you can use instead of current ones.

I would like to see more enemy cards. Like zombies, werebear, lich etc., for instance.

I would like to see some more special items like "you can spend a fate and teleport anywhere you wish in this Region instead of your movement", or "you can spend fates and for every one you can increase your Craft for one point when you are in Mines", etc.

#5 Thee Forsaken One

Thee Forsaken One

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:13 AM

I'm not sure what I would like them to do, but I can guess at what the big box after the fourth corner probably will be. It will probably be an 'expansion expansion' ala Miskatonic Horror (For those who play or know about Arkham Horror). It's an expansion designed to give you content that integrates expansions together so they interact more meaningfully with each other. It was perhaps not the most exciting of ideas, but it was pretty cool. I don't see them releasing alternate corners, though.

#6 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:18 AM

I think that the small box expansions must keep going on.

I like to see more events,places and traps for the dungeon, because it has too many enemies.

More retro alternate endings. I am still waiting for the Pandora´s Box card!

I like to see a desert expansion with a lot of new raider cards. Camels who can act like mules, but maybe different etc

I also like to see more retro characters:)

#7 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:48 AM

Old Master said:

Small box expansion that would bring more interaction between regions, including trap doors or catapult or secret doors? (you’ve been catapult from a secret trap in the highland to the wharf in the city!).

Better watch it with this subversive thought!  When I speak to these things, the thread seems to DIE!

#8 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:51 AM

TheeforsakenOne said:

an expansion designed to give you content that integrates expansions together so they interact more meaningfully with each other. 

Now where have I heard this before?  Hmmmm, oh yeah me, but when I say it no one seems to notice?

#9 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:51 AM

Velhart said:

I think that the small box expansions must keep going on.

I like to see more events,places and traps for the dungeon, because it has too many enemies.

More retro alternate endings. I am still waiting for the Pandora´s Box card!

I like to see a desert expansion with a lot of new raider cards. Camels who can act like mules, but maybe different etc

I also like to see more retro characters:)

I agree with most of this.  I believe I've also mentioned a Desert expansion too.  Won't bother posting that idea again.

#10 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:20 PM

0beron said:

TheeforsakenOne said:

an expansion designed to give you content that integrates expansions together so they interact more meaningfully with each other. 

Now where have I heard this before?  Hmmmm, oh yeah me, but when I say it no one seems to notice?

I have seen it Oberon:)

About the secret passage from the Castle to the Dungeon:)

And the keys to the kingdom, so that a character must visit each region:)

#11 Thee Forsaken One

Thee Forsaken One

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:23 PM

0beron said:

TheeforsakenOne said:

You didn't post those sorts of ideas in this topic. *shrugs* Besides I was just throwing out what I thought might happen. I'm not so sure why you feel the need to get so huffy about it.

#12 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:43 PM

TheeforsakenOne said:

You didn't post those sorts of ideas in this topic. *shrugs* Besides I was just throwing out what I thought might happen. I'm not so sure why you feel the need to get so huffy about it.

If others think the same or similar ideas than I am happy and hereby retract my huffy statements.

I think I am very long winded and like to elaborate on *any* ideas about Talisman.  I would love to be able to discuss all ideas about an expansion that integrates the various regions or other sets.

Previously someone or two has indicated that FFG is not likely to do this, because so many people may not purchase or use all the sets.

So an integrated expansion set would not work for those folks.

But as the thread indicates, "what next"   I would like to think that FFG would have to do something along these lines.

Another thought or idea would be (after the 4th) would be small sets that have more of a scenario, a mystery or quest that either fits into the main board concepts, or possibly "is at home" with a corner.

Examples: "Mystery of the Witch Tree" (since there is line about this in one of the Warlock Quests) .  Since it revolves around the main board, vis a vis the Cursed Glade, this set 'should' be used with the Blood Moon set.  What is the mystery? Well in Talisman tradition, it could be a different variable in each game. An evil presence to be conquered by Good characters. A Talisman hidden in the branches, but so is something else…    A beautiful and powerful Good Witch trapped by her evil counterpart. Free her for some reward.  The Enchantress, or the Mystic now require the special fruit of the tree before they grant their usual gift, or to achieve some new special gift or ability.  Maybe there are Dragon Eggs buried beneath it and the Witch Tree will give them extra gifts if you can't stop them from being born. 

Of course the proper set would have other cards or characters that figure into this. A Witchy Gardener (he can also grow other helpful things?)

As far as a mystery/scenario for another corner: The Forgotten Prisoner.  The King has a brother or cousin, who *almost* inherited the throne. But now this person sits in the Dungeon Cell, alone and forgotten. Variables: was he put there because he's evil? Did he try to usurp the throne? Or… is he the rightful King and the one in the Castle is the usurper.  So many variables with that!

As with the Witch Tree, or any such idea, they would have to have some reason to make them important enough to delay the Crown, or the reward for solving, also advantages your quest to the Crown.

By the way I like the other Horror ideas that have been mentioned, I always liked zombies and what not showing up in D and D, back in the day.

#13 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:29 PM

Am I the only one hoping that after all corners are complete FFG stops puting out expansions?

Don't get me wrong, I love Talisman and happily purchase every single expansion, but enough is enough. There should be some line where there will be no more expansions, the game is complete so to speak :)

#14 Triple A

Triple A

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 05:55 PM

Now this I just can't agree with.

With each expansion, Talisman get wilder, crazier, more unpredictable and enjoyable.  I don't see any reason to stop creating new expansions, especially the small-box type that adds new cards, characters, and unique gameplay (I think the recent day / night dynamic is fantastic addition). 

Once the 4-corners are done, I think it will be harder to add extra boards (big-box expansions) - maybe an Island / Ocean, or (shudder) Timescape will appear, or something completely different like the Dragon Expansion.  People have suggested expanding individual squares such as the graveyard or desert.  Whatever FFG comes up with, I'll happily buy it.  Although I do strongly prefer something that adds to the overall game, instead of replacing existing components (such as the alternate Inner Region from the Dragon).  

As others have suggested, it would be nice to get additional cards for the expansion decks, and more lunar events.  And of course, I'd certainly support an expansion specifically designed to create greater interaction between everything that has come before. 

Like everyone else on this site, I'm very excited about the City.  I'd hate to lose this sweet thrill of anticipation that occurs whenever a new expansion is announced.  If it was up to me, Talisman will never be "complete".        

#15 JemyM

JemyM

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:09 PM

An expansion expansion may be an essential addon.

I do not know how solid the game will be with all boards integrated but 3rd edition with all expansions was a very solid game that felt like one product rather than a bunch of addons slapped onto it (which is how I feel about 2nd edition).

An Expansion Expansion could simply balance the game like a final patch;
* Quest cards in each corner expansion that makes it rewarding for the player to visit a place that they normally wouldn't in a playthrough, especially reasons to go to the inner region. This may also reward the player to visit another corner region. If the Forest expansion is wisdom-focused then it might make sense that the Dungeon gets a card that asks the player to go to the forest, while they have the quest they have +2 wisdom in the forest, the Forest gets a card that asks the player to go to the dungeon and while they have the quest they have +2 strength.
* The right frequency of gold in the adventure deck
* More cards for dungeon, highland and the other non-main "adventure" decks
* More relics
* Animal companions in the Stables Deck
* Special dragons or items in each of the corner regions that helps with the Dragon expansion
* Direct routes between corner regions
* Making sure good/evil/neutral and strength/wisdom is balanced
* Replacement cards with errata

#16 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:09 AM

JemyM said:

An expansion expansion may be an essential addon.

I do not know how solid the game will be with all boards integrated but 3rd edition with all expansions was a very solid game that felt like one product rather than a bunch of addons slapped onto it (which is how I feel about 2nd edition).

An Expansion Expansion could simply balance the game like a final patch;
* Quest cards in each corner expansion that makes it rewarding for the player to visit a place that they normally wouldn't in a playthrough, especially reasons to go to the inner region. This may also reward the player to visit another corner region. If the Forest expansion is wisdom-focused then it might make sense that the Dungeon gets a card that asks the player to go to the forest, while they have the quest they have +2 wisdom in the forest, the Forest gets a card that asks the player to go to the dungeon and while they have the quest they have +2 strength.
* The right frequency of gold in the adventure deck
* More cards for dungeon, highland and the other non-main "adventure" decks
* More relics
* Animal companions in the Stables Deck
* Special dragons or items in each of the corner regions that helps with the Dragon expansion
* Direct routes between corner regions
* Making sure good/evil/neutral and strength/wisdom is balanced
* Replacement cards with errata

You have very organized, specific thoughts here. I like them.

#17 Thee Forsaken One

Thee Forsaken One

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:08 AM

If we go on with what others have said and also what was in Miskatonic Horror then likely what would be included would be:

• Extra cards for every deck type in the game (These would not interact with other expansions)
  • Extra cards for every deck type in the game that integrate expansions together (For example, in Miskatonic Horror it adds cards for the expansion boards to interact with other expansion boards as well as mechanics included in the small box expansions.)
  • An extra mechanic (In Miskatonic Horror it was Organisations that were added (University, FBI and Mafia). I'm not sure what it would be in Talisman. I guess maybe different guilds or societies might be cool? Could add Churches and Cults for the various characters who are part of those. It could be fun.

I really don't see them introducing new boards, though. They could introduce variants for individual squares (or for the Inner Region), though…

#18 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:09 AM

Could you elaborate on the sections below?

TheeforsakenOne said:

• Extra cards for every deck type in the game that integrate expansions together (For example, in Miskatonic Horror it adds cards for the expansion boards to interact with other expansion boards as well as mechanics included in the small box expansions.)
  •  
  • An extra mechanic (In Miskatonic Horror it was Organisations that were added (University, FBI and Mafia). I'm not sure what it would be in Talisman. I guess maybe different guilds or societies might be cool? Could add Churches and Cults for the various characters who are part of those. It could be fun.

An example of how Miskatonic added cards that allow boards to interact with boards

in the last point, not so much about the types of mechanics, but 'how'.  For example I've mentioned Academies or Monasteries where either skill can be learned or craft/strength enhanced.

Since there are so many cultists (mostly Dragon oriented), I rather think this a cool idea.  Of course we like our cultist 'enemies', so maybe if they are defeated there is a roll, if they win, they are moved to their Temple for healing - and live to fight another day (in which case you don't get them as a trophy, but maybe get to rob them of some 'cult' weapon they have (Cultist Tool deck?)

#19 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:29 AM

To sum up my day/night integration theory,

As we had new event cards, "Lunar Event" that must change the day to night and vice a versa, perhaps new events (like I'm posting on some other threads) that imply without specifying, could  have "Day/Night Optional event" (where 'event' or 'lunar event' verbiage is place.

#20 Thee Forsaken One

Thee Forsaken One

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:11 AM

0beron said:

An example of how Miskatonic added cards that allow boards to interact with boards

in the last point, not so much about the types of mechanics, but 'how'.  For example I've mentioned Academies or Monasteries where either skill can be learned or craft/strength enhanced.

Since there are so many cultists (mostly Dragon oriented), I rather think this a cool idea.  Of course we like our cultist 'enemies', so maybe if they are defeated there is a roll, if they win, they are moved to their Temple for healing - and live to fight another day (in which case you don't get them as a trophy, but maybe get to rob them of some 'cult' weapon they have (Cultist Tool deck?)

I had to take a quick look through my box set to remind myself of some specific examples but here you go:

• You're asked to deliver a letter from a location in one board to another. (If you do it then you immediately get transported to the other board and receive an award.)
  • Another example is giving areas in the expansion board the ability to use mechanics from small box expansions (For example in Miskatonic Corruption was introduced in 'The Black Goat in the Woods' but in Miskatonic it added cards so Corruption could be used in the extra boards (Dunwich, Innsmouth and Kingsport).
  • Innsmouth Horror introduces the 'Innsmouth Look' mechanic. Miskatonic adds that Kingsport can also use this mechanic.

For Talisman you could maybe have things like:

• Your sewer in the City leading to the Dungeon idea.
  • A modified version of the magic portal at the end of the Dungeon that can teleport you to the other expansion boards.
  • Adding Day/Night interaction for expansion boards (Part of me thinks that the Dungeon would ignore Day/Night being underground. For the Forest I would check out the Hollow/Unhollow home brew so a cool idea of Day/Night there.)
  • Additional Alternate endings involving visiting the other areas. (Maybe the Lord of Darkness gets the Crown of Command?)

In Miskatonic the organisations did different things:

• For the FBI, you could feed it Clue Tokens to place FBI agents on the location you're standing in. If you had enough agents to overcome a Monster then it was killed and you lost on Agent. In effect, if you had enough agents they could clear an area out without you having to lift a finger. Also, they can protect allies from being killed by putting them into 'protective custody' which involved hiding them in an expansion board and allowing you to come find them if you were willing to spend the time and resources to get them back.
  • The University allowed you to gain degrees as well as ask them to fund 'research' for you.
  • The Mafia could help you out by giving you money (If you joined them), helping you out if you get arrested or hurt. Also they would sell you items if you could afford the premium (The advantage was you could buy anywhere and not just by visiting a store).

For Talisman it could maybe be something like:

• An 'Adventurers Guild' that could let you place adventurers on squares who you could spend to help defeat monsters who appear there. The guild could perhaps also sell you things if you were in the city.
  • There's already Academy adventure cards so not sure if there would be a University equivalent.
  • Mafia could be a thieves guild. You could perhaps hire thieves to steal from other players or they could sell you things from the Oasis?

That's just a few ideas of the top of my head. Perhaps it might get the ball rolling.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS