What to Expect from the Rest of the Hobbit Saga

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:50 AM

Out of the 13 Dwarves we got three of them as heroes and four of them as allies, seven done six to go one might think. Of course we had seen some of the party before but then Bofur surprisingly, one of the least memorable of Thorin's Co., got another ally version of himself. And with his brother Bombur, and the corresponding ally card which must be among the worst cards in the entire game, there could be hope for a repeat. We might see another four heroes for each "basic" sphere, but out of the six remaining Dwarves only Balin will probably make it among those. It would only feel right to get other races included, especially we may be looking forward to Bard and Thranduil, I'd go far as calling the two sure bets for two hero slots, and I would be guessing Tactics for Bard and Leadership for Thranduil. Balin may get Lore or more likely Spirit but who then? Will it be another surprise hero like Nori and Ori - who in terms of game mechanics seem super powerful, or shall we see Gwaihir as a hero? It would then take the Tactics slot most likely. And what about some generic allies, in the first part we only got uniques, which makes sense. The second part could hold a spot or two for a Mirkwood Spearman, Swordsman or Archer. As a wish, I hope Beorn shall see a card to cooperate with him - though it is rather hard to achieve; how about "all enemies get -1 (or 2, depending on the cost) attack strength till the end of the phase"?

#2 DevastazioneH88

DevastazioneH88

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:02 AM

I hoped we'd see some new eagles as well…but their main part takes place during the first hobbit expansion…so I guess we won't see any eagles…Hope Gwaihir, Meneldor and The Lord of The Eagles will be released sooner or later (hopefully not tactics since we have plenty)…As for "On the Doorstep" my bets for heroes are : Thranduil (Leadership or Lore), Balin (Spirit or Lore), Bard (not sure about him…if he'll be there than Tactics or Leadership) and maybe a second version of another dwarf (Bombur ?…) ore even Oin…Regarding other player cards I think we'll see more non-unique allies (perhaps silvan or dale…hopefully no more dwarves XD)…and a few attachments and events…not as much as in the first saga expansion I guess…

#3 Ranger of the Force

Ranger of the Force

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:28 AM

Ever since seing the art for Gwaihir, I know i will get any pack he is in.  My hope is for the next Hobbit expansion.  To me, it doesn't make sense for Gwaihir or any of the other eagles yet to be released to be anything other than tactics given all thier brethren are tactics.  I am hoping he will be a hero.

On another note, Isn't Gwaihir the "Lord of the Eagles?" I am learning my LOTR lore, so I haven't filled in all the gaps.

#4 John85

John85

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 05:02 AM

Ranger of the Force said:

On another note, Isn't Gwaihir the "Lord of the Eagles?" I am learning my LOTR lore, so I haven't filled in all the gaps. 

Thorondor is (was) the Lord of the Eagles (his name literally means "King of Eagles".

Gwaihir (literally "Windlord"), a descendant of Thorondor, was the greatest and swiftest of the Eagles of the North at the end of the 3rd Age.

#5 DevastazioneH88

DevastazioneH88

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:54 AM

The art for Gwaihir ? :0…where ?…I hope he'll be a hero as well…! 

#6 John85

John85

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:40 AM

check the thread "Legolas in Second Hobbit set?" (here: http://www.fantasyfl...=4&efidt=703934)

Here's a direct link: http://jakemurray.de...agles-273664009

#7 DevastazioneH88

DevastazioneH88

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:39 PM

Awsome ! Thanks !

#8 Bryon

Bryon

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:57 AM

The 7 dwarves who survived to the War of the Ring:

Gloin - Leadership Hero (Core)

Bifur - Lore Hero (KD)

Dwalin - Spirit Hero (KD)

Nori - Spirit Hero (Hobbit 1)

Bofur - Spirit Ally (Redhorn Gate), and Tactics Ally (The Hobbit 1)

Bombur - Lore Ally (Road to Rivendell)

Dori - Lore Ally (Hobbit 1)

The 3 who recolonized Moria in 2989, but died there 5 years later.

Balin - ? (Hobbit 2?)

Ori - Lore Hero (Hobbit 1)

Oin - ? (Hobbit 2?)

The 3 who died in 2941, at the end of The Hobbit

Thorin Oakenshield - Leadership Hero (Hobbit 1)

Fili - Leadership Ally (Hobbit 1)

Kili - Spirit Ally (Hobbit 1)

So, I'm guessing we'll see Balin (hopefully a hero) and Oin (hopefully a hero).  I'm also hoping we get a much better version of Bombur.

I assume we will get a Bard, too.  And possibly a Thranduil?

#9 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:19 AM

Bryon said:

So, I'm guessing we'll see Balin (hopefully a hero) and Oin (hopefully a hero).  I'm also hoping we get a much better version of Bombur.

balin+bard+thranduil ….im pretty sure we shall see all of those….though maybe not thranduil as i suspect one quest is escaping him, so having him as a hero would be rather daft! (unless hes an 'enemy' card making you not be able to play him)….intriguing

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#10 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:11 AM

I'm wondering if they'll incorporate some mechanic to represent Bilbo breaking the dwarves out of Thanduril's Halls.

Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#11 Bryon

Bryon

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:27 PM

I've been wondering about the 3 quests myself.

I'm guessing we will get:

1.  Flies and Spiders (an updated version of the original Mirkwood adventure from the Core set, possibly reusing some of those encounter sets)

2.  On the Doorstep/Inside Information/Not at Home (some dealing with Smaug under the Mountain until you get him to leave)

<insert The Battle of Lake-Town here>

3.  The Battle of 5 Armies (possibly with cards that force players to attack each other in addition to dealing with Orcs and Wargs)

It's possible that they will have one quest card that deals with "Barrels out of Bond" but I doubt it will be a major part of an adventure.

#12 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:41 AM

richsabre said:

Bryon said:

balin+bard+thranduil ….im pretty sure we shall see all of those….though maybe not thranduil as i suspect one quest is escaping him, so having him as a hero would be rather daft! (unless hes an 'enemy' card making you not be able to play him)….intriguing

Yeah, it could work as easily as Arwen does in the two Dwarrodelf scenarios, Thranduil might be an objective, so players cannot play cards of that name in the quest. Good call!

#13 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:23 AM

I play Hobbit now for 2 days already and really really impress by real good job of designers this time. And i play only solo. What about coop game???

I think coop game is even better in Hobbit. Cose many encounter card more powerful with number of players. Good really good job! Caleb is cool man!

What we will get in second Hobbit? I hope it will be Caleb again. This guy is really cool! if HON and Against the shadow will be even better quality i will eat my hat then. Good job FFG this time!

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS