color-blind play?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 bardon777

bardon777

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:01 PM

Tried searching and didnt come up with any hits. Does anyone have any experience playing this game as/with a person who is red/green colorblind? I'm really excited about this game but while reading over the rules I noticed that the difficultly of a turn is given via color. Without modifying the game, I'm not sure how he will be able to tell the difference between a green maneuver and a red one. He can see blue so target locks should be ok. Any other stumbling blocks or suggestions for quick mods? Or have they differentiated things with more than color? I sure hope so…

Thanks!

#2 R2D2

R2D2

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:21 PM

I would think that you couldjust use logic to solve this problem. I assume that red/green colourblind people can still see that it is different to white? as such it should be obvious which manouvres are likely to be easier to perform… i.e a speed 2 listing flightly to the left isnt likely to be red and a full speed turn isnt likely to be green….

#3 R2D2

R2D2

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:21 PM

oh and also, Im pretty sure that someone had listed the manouvres on this forum somewhere with the colours, so using this you could maybe mark the dials somehow?

#4 bardon777

bardon777

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:24 PM

I'd love to avoid marking up the dials(its great when a game doesnt just change the color but the font or background too) but I will if nothing else.

#5 R2D2

R2D2

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:33 PM

Well, the only red manouvres are U-turns and the full speed ahead for Y-wings and i think the speed 4 turns for Y-wings

The only green manouvres are either straight ahead at lower speeds or turn at lower speeds.

All others are white.

with this in mind, I would think that logic is your best tool and that you are unliely to get confused by this…if you memmory fails you then simply be reasonable and think "is this likely to be a hard manouvre?"

He can tell that its different to white, I assume?

Dont let this prevent you buying the game…its easily worked around!

#6 VaultDweller

VaultDweller

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:27 AM

I had a strong feeling that the topic would eventually be discussed. FFG published the maneuver charts in the manual and in the boosters. It could be a good idea to have someone go over them with you so you can mark them up to indicate easy and hard turns in whatever way works for you.  Make yourself a custom reference sheet. You could even post it to help others too. 

Enjoy the game!

#7 El_Tonio

El_Tonio

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:43 AM

If you don't mind writing on your maneuver dial, maybe you could put one dot next to green and two dots next to red before butting it together.  You might also be able to do this with small pieces of post-it notes if you don't want to write on them.  I like the idea of doing something to the dial before you put it together if possible.

Here is the thread with a couple of dials written out (that was another idea someone else had above).

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?efid=254&efcid=6&efidt=697949&efpag=0#698981

Good question, let us know how you finally address it.   

4 X-Wing  •  3 Y-Wing  •  2 A-Wing  •  2 YT-1300  •  4 B-Wing  •  2 HWK-290

8 TIE Fighter  •  2 TIE Advanced X1  •  5 TIE Interceptor  • 2 Firespray 31  •  6 TIE Bomber  •  2 Lambda Class Shuttle

#8 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:48 AM

El_Tonio said:

If you don't mind writing on your maneuver dial, maybe you could put one dot next to green and two dots next to red before butting it together. 

He does mind, but has said that he will if there is no other option.

"To play a wrong note is insignificant. To play without passion is inexcusable."
– Beethoven

#9 radiskull

radiskull

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:56 AM

I'd take the maneuver chart that exists in the core rulebook (for X-wing and TIEs) or in the expansion packs (for all ships) and mark them up so that the difference is clear.  That way dials don't have to be marked, but you have an easy reference available.

#10 drkjedi35

drkjedi35

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:58 AM

radiskull said:

I'd take the maneuver chart that exists in the core rulebook (for X-wing and TIEs) or in the expansion packs (for all ships) and mark them up so that the difference is clear.  That way dials don't have to be marked, but you have an easy reference available.

Agreed!  Sounds like the best way to do it without marking up the dials.

Roy

#11 bardon777

bardon777

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:46 PM

radiskull said:

We'll try this first. Especially with just the base set it should be pretty easy.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Once it finally arrives and we have a couple of games under our belt I'll let people know how it went.

#12 RoboChap

RoboChap

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:17 AM

Sorry to bring up an old post, but I remember reading this a while back and now that I have my copy of the game, just thought I'd put a post up with a colour blind players perspective (I am red/green colourblind)

Dice - First off, the red and green dice are a distinct enough shade that I have no issues differentiating between them. This is often a problem in some games, and Elder Sign in particular is one example of a game where the red and green dice are indistinguishable from each other for me (fortunately my friends who own the game have painted the symbols on the red die black so I can tell which is which)

Manoeuvre Dials - For me, the red and green on the dials is unfortunately too close, however the printed list of manoeuvres on the rulebook is distinct. I would recommend keeping a copy of the ship manoeuvre tables to hand just to make things clear (although I find that if I am checking the templates my opponent already knows I am doing a red or green manoeuvre, so check it frequently for white ones too just to throw them off guard!)

One area where I am struggling with the colours is actually not part of the game at all, but rather the symbols for which protective card sleeves to order, as so far as I can tell you order them based on colour from the website. Would anybody be able to do me a big favour and let me know which two card sizes this game uses?!

#13 xBeakeRx

xBeakeRx

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:47 AM

I too am red/green colorblind (along with having troubles with almost every other shade of color) and have found that using logic with the maneuver dials best. Once you play a few games you will memorize which maneuvers are re and green. The dice are large enough that they aren't an issue for me. On a side note, I just learned the other day that my Dust Tactics SSU models are in fact primed green, not brown…for the longest time I have been thinking they were brown and even painted them thinking they were a brown base coat, oh well.

#14 -Istaril

-Istaril

• Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:16 AM

While the difficulty of a maneuver is coloured (red/green), as are the dice and the stats for attack/defense, only the first of those is likely to cause any problems at all.  The list of green and red maneuvers is fairly short and easy to remember. You could also print/copy a "movement chart" for the ship as a reference (they come with each booster, and they're printed in the rulebook's last page for the x-wing and tie fighter), or, if you don't mind defacing your tokens a little, add another mark to the maneuver dials with a more colour-blind friendly colour.

Edit: Hmm, for some reason none of the replies were showing - so I basically just said what everyone else had said. Ignore me.

#15 MilesD37

MilesD37

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:20 AM

I didn't read all the posts- just wanted to chime in that i played with my old roommate who is red/green color blind… i just told him which maneuvers were red and green, it was easy enough for him to remember… but before that he didn't even realize there were other colors… lol…

#16 DailyRich

DailyRich

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:49 AM

I'm color blind and the red maneuver arrows are so much darker than the green, I've really had no trouble telling them apart.

#17 KarmikazeKidd

KarmikazeKidd

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:46 AM

Ditto. I'm red-green color blind. Drives me nuts in, say, Call of Duty. But I've had absolutely zero problem with the dials in this game. You should be fine.

#18 frogimus

frogimus

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:59 AM

RoboChap said:

One area where I am struggling with the colours is actually not part of the game at all, but rather the symbols for which protective card sleeves to order, as so far as I can tell you order them based on colour from the website. Would anybody be able to do me a big favour and let me know which two card sizes this game uses?!

Gray (Standard card size 2-1/2" x 3-1/2") and Yellow (mini American 1-5/8" x 2-1/2")

#19 Eruletho

Eruletho

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:59 AM

these for the damage and upgrade cards: http://store.fantasy...s.cfm?SKU=FFS01

and these for the pilot cards: http://store.fantasy...s.cfm?SKU=FFS05

#20 RoboChap

RoboChap

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:07 AM

Thanks Frogimus/Eruletho, much appreciated.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS