Transporting Models

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#1 jskinny

jskinny

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:20 PM

So how is everyone storing and transporting their models.  The X-Wing weapons seem to be very frail and I haven’t opened my expansion ships yet because I don’t want to break it.

Jonas

#2 Aahzmandius_Karrde

Aahzmandius_Karrde

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:50 PM

They're not quite as fragile.  I've packed my expansion ships in one of the zip baggies that came in all the stuff and drop them in the box.  Haven't broken anything yet.   That being said after a discussion with someone on BGG I've got a Plano 5231 on the way from Amazon.  This was the pic that he posted:

Figure at $13 it'll get me through til Wave 2 omes out and I have to do something different.  I also heard BattleFoam is doing custom sheets for the game.  I'll probably fill in with some foam so they don't move around as much, and if I ever move to a foam container system I'll probably still use this for all the chits, cards and stands.

Welcome to the FFG Star Wars RPG Index 

#3 SteveSpikes

SteveSpikes

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:07 PM

Nice pic.  That's a nice storage option there.  Though, I would like to see FFG put some larger storage options (big enough for the larger sculpts), with "Wave 2" coming this Holiday Season, 'n all.  Until then, I might consider getting something along those lines.

#4 VaultDweller

VaultDweller

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:57 AM

Take a look at Plano tackle box trays. They are configurable by size and have lots of options available. Prices range from $3 to $9 for a tray that can hold a lot of items. I need to have the physical product to see which trays will work but plan to use 4 small trays to hand out as a "player pack" - dice, markers, dials, manuever templates, etc and a few larger trays sorted by faction for the ships.  

#5 drkjedi35

drkjedi35

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:43 AM

Aahzmandius_Karrde said:

They're not quite as fragile.  I've packed my expansion ships in one of the zip baggies that came in all the stuff and drop them in the box.  Haven't broken anything yet.   That being said after a discussion with someone on BGG I've got a Plano 5231 on the way from Amazon.  This was the pic that he posted:

Figure at $13 it'll get me through til Wave 2 omes out and I have to do something different.  I also heard BattleFoam is doing custom sheets for the game.  I'll probably fill in with some foam so they don't move around as much, and if I ever move to a foam container system I'll probably still use this for all the chits, cards and stands.

I AM IN LOVE!!!

Uhhhh…with this box!  I'm definitely going to get one.

Roy

#6 AGASHAMIRV

AGASHAMIRV

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:32 AM

I've used plano or 'jewelry' boxes in the past for pre-painted stuff. I've never needed foam for these. I only use foam storage for hand painted mini games. As long as you aren't throwing the boxes around, they should keep your minis safe.

I picked up a larger (about 1.5' x 1'x 2') storage box with a lid, then I put the plano/jewelry boxes in that. It's got room to put anything I want in it. I have my Dungeon Command in it now, and will put X-wing next to it and still have room for another game.

#7 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:38 AM

Aahzmandius_Karrde said:

Looks like you have enough room for 4 A-Wings and 2 Tie Interceptors.  No room for the Falcon and Slave 1 though.

Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook...ups/6738327518/

#8 Aahzmandius_Karrde

Aahzmandius_Karrde

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:21 PM

That's not my set, just the guy that pointed out the case.  When my set is done there'll be 3 more X-Wings, 2 more Y-Wings, and 4 more TIE Fighters.  So that case will be pretty full.

Welcome to the FFG Star Wars RPG Index 

#9 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:31 PM

I don't have a case as cool as the one above, but I would like to point out that the individual ships (not the starter box so much) come in a nice little plastic holder.  You can take out the cards and movement dial, put them somewher else and just keep the ship in the plastic holders.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#10 GunslingerSix

GunslingerSix

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:52 PM

I have a purple and clear two tier jewelery case I found at Hobby Lobby in the bead section.  I have 19 ships in it currently, plus all my counters.  I use a paint tub for the cards, rulers, etc.  Works great.

#11 El_Tonio

El_Tonio

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:42 AM

Aahzmandius_Karrde said:

This looks like it would work well (even if you end up needing another once you get more ships).  Just out of curiosity, will the dials fit in the compartment with the ship, or is it not deep enough?  Especially where you have the X-Wings (guessing you might be able to tilt it a bit for the TIEs since that is a bigger space).  Thanks for the idea! 

REBEL: 5 X-Wing  •  3 Y-Wing  •  2 A-Wing  •  3 YT-1300  •  4 B-Wing  •  1 HWK-290  •  7 Z-95 Headhunter  •  2 E-Wing

IMPERIAL: 8 TIE Fighter  •  2 TIE Advanced X1  •  5 TIE Interceptor  • 3 Firespray 31  •  6 TIE Bomber  •  2 Lambda Class Shuttle  •  2 TIE Phantom  •  2 TIE Defender

FIRST PLACE:  2012 Kessel Run (Amazing Discoveries, Tucson AZ); 2013 Regional (Amazing Discoveries, Tucson AZ); 2013 Regional (Imperial Outpost, Glendale AZ); 2014 Store Championship (Desert Sky Games, Gilbert AZ); 2014 Assault on Imdaar Alpha (Game Depot, Tempe AZ)

#12 Highball

Highball

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:37 AM

Aahzmandius_Karrde said:

While you said that this wasn't your box in an earlier post, I still wanted to thank you for posting this.  I live 30 minutes from the Plano Factory Outlet and ran over and got one.  The photo above doesn't do this box justice.  Where it shows one Tie Fighter (effectively a double space skipping one divider insert) is big enough to hold 3 TIE Fighters standing up.  The case is tall enough to easily accomodate this.  The X-Wing sections can easily hold 2 X-Wings (one facing up, one down).  The Y-Wings fit snug in one of the smaller X-Wing slots.  2 TIE Advanced fight snug into one of the sections it shows the TIE Advanced in standing on their end.  I have two copies of the movement templates in the clear cover area, so the large red section is almost completely open and with the provided dividers should be able to easily hold Slave1, the MF and a standard Deck Box with my cards. If I filled 4 of the double sections with 3 TIEs each (12 ships), 4 of the singles with 2 X-wings each (8 ships), 4 of the singles with Y-Wings, 1 with 2 TIE Advanced, this would still leave me with something like 5 double sections (TIE interceptors?) and 2 smaller sections (A-Wings?) without having to go to a larger sized container.

Also of note: They make a two sided version of this that is effectively two of these placed back to back.  It would hold an amazing amount of vehicles.

#13 Tawnos

Tawnos

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:03 AM

I used a Plano tackle box back when I played Dreamblade, and it's been re-purposed to transport my X-wing stuff quite nicely.

#14 drkjedi35

drkjedi35

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:12 PM

Highball said:

Aahzmandius_Karrde said:

While you said that this wasn't your box in an earlier post, I still wanted to thank you for posting this.  I live 30 minutes from the Plano Factory Outlet and ran over and got one.  The photo above doesn't do this box justice.  Where it shows one Tie Fighter (effectively a double space skipping one divider insert) is big enough to hold 3 TIE Fighters standing up.  The case is tall enough to easily accomodate this.  The X-Wing sections can easily hold 2 X-Wings (one facing up, one down).  The Y-Wings fit snug in one of the smaller X-Wing slots.  2 TIE Advanced fight snug into one of the sections it shows the TIE Advanced in standing on their end.  I have two copies of the movement templates in the clear cover area, so the large red section is almost completely open and with the provided dividers should be able to easily hold Slave1, the MF and a standard Deck Box with my cards. If I filled 4 of the double sections with 3 TIEs each (12 ships), 4 of the singles with 2 X-wings each (8 ships), 4 of the singles with Y-Wings, 1 with 2 TIE Advanced, this would still leave me with something like 5 double sections (TIE interceptors?) and 2 smaller sections (A-Wings?) without having to go to a larger sized container.

Also of note: They make a two sided version of this that is effectively two of these placed back to back.  It would hold an amazing amount of vehicles.

Highball - Do you know the Model number of the double sided Plano Box?  I'm thinking about ordering one online.

Thanks,

Roy

#15 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:42 PM

Yep, he sold me too.  Looks great.

Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook...ups/6738327518/

#16 Highball

Highball

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:47 PM

drkjedi35 said:

Highball - Do you know the Model number of the double sided Plano Box?  I'm thinking about ordering one online.

Thanks,

Roy

Just doing a search on Plano Lockjaw images it seems that it is 3952.  I didn't look at the model number in the outlet, but I did remember that it was blue, which meshes with the Google images I am seeing.

#17 tiepilot1138

tiepilot1138

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:01 PM

I'm concerned about the fragility of the models bouncing around in a case like that.  Can anyone who did this chime in?  Has anyone broken a model yet?

#18 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:36 PM

tiepilot1138 said:

I'm concerned about the fragility of the models bouncing around in a case like that.  Can anyone who did this chime in?  Has anyone broken a model yet?

I haven't broken any of my models yet. not that I have tried, but they seem pretty strong.  They are also pretty light.  One of the problems you get with metal is that metal is so heavy that it bounces arround so much harder than light models.

I would expect that this case would protect the models pretty well.  Granted I haven't bought mine yet.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#19 Jaster

Jaster

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:04 PM

I just bought a similar tackle box, I'm going to put a thin layer of foam on the bottom just for a bit of protection.

Another option is sewing boxes and storage trays for nuts, bolts washers etc which you can get pretty cheap from sewing/hardware stores.

#20 Highball

Highball

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:10 PM

tiepilot1138 said:

My cousin dropped my full case from table height onto a concrete floor and nothing was damaged, but remember from my earlier post that I have 2-3 models in each slot so they don't have much room to move.  I was actually worried about this with one TIE fighter in each double slot from the photo as there is actually a lot of room in there.  But with my storage method things don't move around much.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS