Jump to content



Photo

PDF version ?


  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 chaostroll

chaostroll

    Member

  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:37 AM

 Hi, 

As i'm in lost in a far away galaxy (Brittany, France), i have no decent retailer at hand.

I would be very interested by a PDF version.

So do you know when the PDF version will be on sale ?

 



#2 KommissarK

KommissarK

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:46 AM

Sadly, never (unless Lucas redoes how their licensing works). They classify PDFs of stuff under the same category as video games, and well, its just not something FFG is permitted to sell.



#3 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

    Playtester

  • Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:25 AM

Aye, LucasArts didn't give FFG a licence to sell PDF versions of the game, only physical copies. It's the same reason WotC never made a PDF version of D20 or Saga Star Wars.

It's just never going to happen, sadly.


~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

 

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.


#4 Cyril

Cyril

    Member

  • Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:16 AM

 +1 to what the others said. 

If you ever find a copy of the game in PDF, you can be 100% sure it's not legal. 



#5 Dulahan

Dulahan

    Member

  • Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:55 AM

So don't complain to FFG either!  They can't help it.  Even if they could afford an electronic game license (Unlikely), it probably isn't even available to buy.

 

Write letters to Lucas Arts imploring them to change their policy, still unlikely but with enough they might rethink it.  :) 



#6 bkirchhoff

bkirchhoff

    Member

  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:04 PM

 Arghh…

Unfortunate.  Let's take to Twitter to voice our concern/request and use the hash tag #FreeTheForce.  I suggest a polite and respectful request to the Official Lucasfilm Star Wars Twitter @starwars.  Here's mine:

@starwars Please make the Official Star Wars RPG "Edge of the Empire" available in an electronic edition. #FreeTheForce

 



#7 daddystabz

daddystabz

    Member

  • Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:26 PM

 Man, I wish there was something out there for this.



#8 Dulahan

Dulahan

    Member

  • Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:09 PM

bkirchhoff said:

 Arghh…

Unfortunate.  Let's take to Twitter to voice our concern/request and use the hash tag #FreeTheForce.  I suggest a polite and respectful request to the Official Lucasfilm Star Wars Twitter @starwars.  Here's mine:

@starwars Please make the Official Star Wars RPG "Edge of the Empire" available in an electronic edition. #FreeTheForce

 

 

Twitter will have a lot less genuine effect than snail mail campaigns.  Twitter is very easy to ignore, snail mail shows a genuine effort into it and is much more likely to be read.

 

Of course, I'm not a Lawyer, and the wording of the license may be such even LA won't be able to change that element as it could be seen as after the fact stealing rights from the current holder.



#9 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

    Playtester

  • Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:42 PM

Dulahan said:

bkirchhoff said:

 

 Arghh…

Unfortunate.  Let's take to Twitter to voice our concern/request and use the hash tag #FreeTheForce.  I suggest a polite and respectful request to the Official Lucasfilm Star Wars Twitter @starwars.  Here's mine:

@starwars Please make the Official Star Wars RPG "Edge of the Empire" available in an electronic edition. #FreeTheForce

 

 

 

 

Twitter will have a lot less genuine effect than snail mail campaigns.  Twitter is very easy to ignore, snail mail shows a genuine effort into it and is much more likely to be read.

 

Of course, I'm not a Lawyer, and the wording of the license may be such even LA won't be able to change that element as it could be seen as after the fact stealing rights from the current holder.

Aye, it'd require the agreement of both LucasArts and EA/Bioware (the current holders of the Star Wars computer/electronic game licence) to change it, and unless LucasArts gave stuff up, there's literally nothing for EA/Bioware to gain in allowing a change to the licence. The only chance it'd happen is if the licence is one given for a limited time, with renewals set every so many years - if that's the case, LucasArts would be in a position to change it as a term of the renewal, but since they didn't do that for WotC, and WotC had significantly more money than FFG, I doubt they would.

*isn't a lawyer, but does have a degree in law, specialising in intellectual property, and awaiting my results in my Masters in Law, specialising in intellectual property infringement/piracy law in the UK, and its effectiveness on piracy*


~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

 

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.


#10 bkirchhoff

bkirchhoff

    Member

  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:54 PM

 

Dulahan said:

 

I'm not a Lawyer, and the wording of the license may be such even LA won't be able to change that element

Just to be clear, the copyright is held by Lucasfilm (not LucasArts) and the license is granted by Lucas Licensing.



#11 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

    Playtester

  • Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

bkirchhoff said:

 

Dulahan said:

 

 

I'm not a Lawyer, and the wording of the license may be such even LA won't be able to change that element

 

 

Just to be clear, the copyright is held by Lucasfilm (not LucasArts) and the license is granted by Lucas Licensing.

It's hard keeping track of so many Lucas', or is the plural Lucasi?


~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

 

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.


#12 Inksplat

Inksplat

    Member

  • Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:55 PM

 I will say, having the book makes me realize how spoiled I am by my PDF collection of RPGs. It's kind of a hassle to keep a big softcover book like that open to certain pages, and I can't read it in bed while my wife is trying to sleep, or easily search.



#13 chaostroll

chaostroll

    Member

  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:27 PM

I suppose i have to wait now for the final release.

Too bad FFG didn't communicate about this. I would have ordered the print edition even if shipping is expensive for France…..

 

 






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS