Jump to content



Photo

2 starters or 1 starter and 2 tie 1 xwing pack


  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 muggin

muggin

    Member

  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:48 AM

So i was looking at this game and realized that to do anything that I want I will need at least 3 Xwings or 4 tie fighters. I was thinking of doing the following

2 x core set

2x x-wing pack

1x tie fighter pack

2 x tie advanced pack

1x y-wing pack

Totals:

4 x-wings, 1 y-wing

5 tie fighters, 2 tie advanced

The question is that since I only purchase 1 x-wing and 1 tie fighter pack am I missing out on anything useful that I may need duplicates of that are not in the core set (from a card perspective). This is much more cost effective based on where you get the sets by about 20$ to go with the double core set.

 

Any thoughts?



#2 tiepilot1138

tiepilot1138

    Member

  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:03 AM

In the X-Wing booster you'll get one of each of the droids.  I don't think they are repeated in the core box (but I may be mistaken).  I don't know if that's important to you.

 

If you buy 2 cores you'll also get two sets of dice and templates, making playing easier between two people.



#3 muggin

muggin

    Member

  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:07 AM

So with 2 starters and 2 xwing boosters i should be good. Question becomes the tie fighters. Do I need a second booster or is everything i need from them pretty much in the core and 1 booster. It would be real nice if FFG would do a card list for each pack so we know.

In the end I should have picked this up at C6 last weekend but I spent my money on other things.



#4 drkjedi35

drkjedi35

    Member

  • Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:09 AM

I only have the starter for now.  However, I pre-ordered 2 X-wing, 1 Y-wing, 1 TIE Fighter, and 2 TIE Advanced expansions.  However, I'm also trying to decide whether or not to order another starter, or two more TIE Fighter expansions.  And I'm not sure what I'm going to do.   I have noticed that the ship tokens are double sided.  For instance, in the starter, Luke's X-wing has a Rebel Squadron Pilot on the flip side of the ship token.  If I ever wanted to build a squad with Luke and a Rebel Squadron Pilot I would need to either buy another starter or borrow it from someone.  Now I don't know if I will ever need to do that, but I don't like the fact that as of right now I don't have that option available to me.  And I would assume that they will do the same thing in the expansions.  Each unique pilot will have a non-unique version on the other side of the ship token.  The only way to alleviate that problem is to own two copies of each starter and expansion that comes out.  Knowing me, I will do that at some point. 

 

Roy



#5 drkjedi35

drkjedi35

    Member

  • Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:13 AM

tiepilot1138 said:

 

In the X-Wing booster you'll get one of each of the droids.  I don't think they are repeated in the core box (but I may be mistaken).  I don't know if that's important to you.

 

If you buy 2 cores you'll also get two sets of dice and templates, making playing easier between two people.

 

 

 

The droids in the starter are unique, and they are not in the X-wing Expansion.  However there is a non-unique R5 Astromech in the X-wing expansion.  You may want a few of those.  There is also one Unique astromech and one non-unique astromech in the Y-wing expansion that are not repeated anywhere else.

 

Roy



#6 drkjedi35

drkjedi35

    Member

  • Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:17 AM

drkjedi35 said:

I only have the starter for now.  However, I pre-ordered 2 X-wing, 1 Y-wing, 1 TIE Fighter, and 2 TIE Advanced expansions.  However, I'm also trying to decide whether or not to order another starter, or two more TIE Fighter expansions.  And I'm not sure what I'm going to do.   I have noticed that the ship tokens are double sided.  For instance, in the starter, Luke's X-wing has a Rebel Squadron Pilot on the flip side of the ship token.  If I ever wanted to build a squad with Luke and a Rebel Squadron Pilot I would need to either buy another starter or borrow it from someone.  Now I don't know if I will ever need to do that, but I don't like the fact that as of right now I don't have that option available to me.  And I would assume that they will do the same thing in the expansions.  Each unique pilot will have a non-unique version on the other side of the ship token.  The only way to alleviate that problem is to own two copies of each starter and expansion that comes out.  Knowing me, I will do that at some point. 

 

Roy

 

After further inspection, the Red Squadron Pilot I spoke of earlier is also in the X-wing expansion.  However, it will be on the back of either Wedge or Garven Dreis.

 

Roy



#7 Aahzmandius_Karrde

Aahzmandius_Karrde

    Member

  • Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:34 AM

drkjedi35 said:

After further inspection, the Red Squadron Pilot I spoke of earlier is also in the X-wing expansion.  However, it will be on the back of either Wedge or Garven Dreis.

However you're buying 2 X-Wing packs so you'll have 2 copies of that token.  Also if you're flying Luke, Garvin, and Wedge you're out of minis anyway.

On the topic of only getting 1 TIE Fighter pack.  The only upgrades are Determination and Swarm Tactics.  Determination is in the starter and Swarm Tactics are in the TIE Advanced as well so I think you'll be covered with only one Fighter pack.



#8 muggin

muggin

    Member

  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:57 AM

Good info guys, it really looks like they are trying to get multiple purchases of each of the boosters due to having you can only get it here type cards.

Here's a new question though. What do you think the average point games will be? Seems like 100 points will be pretty solid for now with there being so little variation, once we have a wings, B wings and the falcon it could go up. Does that seem like the sweet spot right now?



#9 DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime

    Member

  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:10 AM

muggin said:

2 x core set

2x x-wing pack

1x tie fighter pack

2 x tie advanced pack

1x y-wing pack

This is exactly what I intend on ordering for the first wave.  2 Starters for the dice templates and core X's and TIE's.  And at least one of every expansion, doubling up on the ships I want pairs of.

Next wave, I'll probably take a pair of each fighter and one each of the Mediums.  The Interceptors are my favorite TIE, so Might end up with 4 before the third wave hits, whatever that may bring.

 

As far as pilots and upgrades, you will never have a problem running named characters and not having enough of the generic pilots as every ship comes with a selection of the generics.  The TIE's actually have 3 generics each.  So don't worry about pilots. 

Seems several of the skill upgrade cards are duplicated in different expansions and the starter so that shouldn't be a problem getting most or all of the ones you need.  And each ship expansion comes with the secondary weapon card(s) that it's allowed to use.  In the end each expansion will have all the typical generics for the ship as well as a pair of named pilots and maybe one unique upgrade (droids and skills being the most variable).  You'll always have enough torpedoes, missiles, cannons to go around.  And probably plenty or droids and skills.

One thing of note, very few TIE pilots can actually take Elite skill upgrades.  The named pilots tend to have a built-in special skill and no upgrade options.  However the Black Squadron generic pilot can take one where none of the Rebel generics can.

-DavicusPrime



#10 muggin

muggin

    Member

  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:39 AM

Thanks Davicus, good info on the skills, wasn't aware of that.

And agreed, Tie interceptor is so damn good. I will also be pushing for a full squadron of them if they are indeed in wave 2. Where did you see the wave list? I would love to see what is coming down the pipe.

Thanks!



#11 Aahzmandius_Karrde

Aahzmandius_Karrde

    Member

  • Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:49 AM

muggin said:

And agreed, Tie interceptor is so damn good. I will also be pushing for a full squadron of them if they are indeed in wave 2. Where did you see the wave list? I would love to see what is coming down the pipe.

A-Wing, TIE Interceptor, Slave-1 and Millenium Falcon were announced as Wave 2 at gencon.  Nothing beyond that has been announced.  Here's some pics:

 

 



#12 muggin

muggin

    Member

  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:08 AM

I must have missed the A wing and the Interceptor at C6 i was so hurried through their booth by my wife :) The falcon and Slave one looked awesome though. I thought slave one was a little large though…..it it to scale?

A-wing sooo sweet. Man this game is going to ruin my wallet. Good thing I am getting out of a lot of other stuff to pay for this!






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS