Navis Primer Release Date

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Regis Eisen

Regis Eisen

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:51 AM

As the title says, anyone know when the release date for this book is?  I'm dying to know what's inside…

#2 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:33 AM

Sometime in the 21st century.  Or the 2nd millenium.  However you want to phrase it. 

P.S.  I know, I'm an @moneymoneysign.

P.S.S.  I really do wish it would come out soon though.  Might be like the Koronus Bestiary wait, though I truly hope not. 

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

#3 Alasseo

Alasseo

• Members
  • 797 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:02 AM

It's FFG. If there's something they do well (or at least often) it's schedule slip*. At least the finished result is usually awesome enough to make up for it.

Essentially, be patient, and remember the wise words of the Guinness advert: "All good things come to those who…"

*Ok, I know this sort of thing is not necessarily their fault, or is at least due to circumstances beyond their control. On the upside, they acknowledge it's going to happen and tend to only give approximate dates rather than cast iron dates that MUST be met regardless of quality or lack thereof.

There is no right, and no wrong, but having the bigger stick makes it so...

#4 Regis Eisen

Regis Eisen

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:53 AM

Well, I know that I need to wait, just haven't seen or heard anything about it.  No sneak peeks or samples or anything from it.  And, some online retailers indicate August release (fat chance) and others, then end of October (hope not, for my character's sake).

#5 Plynkes

Plynkes

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:57 PM

Amazon UK claim to have it, with a delivery estimate of 11 to 14 days. I am somewhat dubious since it is flagged as "Not yet available" on the FFG Rogue Trader products page, and Amazon have proved notorious liars about this kind of thing in the past.

But then again they sent me the Koronus Bestiary  at a time when here on the FFG site it still said "Coming Soon," so who knows? Oddly enough, The Soul Reaver, which FFG say has been released, is still on Amazon UK as a pre-order, while The Navis Primer, which FFG say isn't out yet, can be bought "now."

#6 Surak

Surak

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:06 PM

according to Leisure Games this has now reached UK shores.

My copy is in the post, but has anyone been lucky enough to grab a copy already?

Knowledge is power, and power corrupts.Therefore library's are the source of all evil.

My DH beta 2 aptitude calc is here https://drive.google...dit?usp=sharing

Part of the TeamACES youtube channel http://www.youtube.c...Ha0q8lrmTRGATFA

#7 signoftheserpent

signoftheserpent

• Members
  • 843 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:56 AM

Yes it's out this week, along with Tome of (overpriced) Fate. I might treat mnyself because it looks like it could be a really interesting book about the Warp with stuff for Psykers and possibly some compatibility with Dark Heresy. No previews though.

#8 angelis1974

angelis1974

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:27 AM

Indeed the book is now out, I have my shiny copy on my desk next to me.

Not given it a full read yet, but I am particularly looking forward to sending my players up against the Rak'gol Techno shamans and the Culexus assassin.

Also looking forward to seeing what the rules for Navigator duels are like. seems to be a large fluff section on navigators and their houses, specifically listing about 8 or so specific houses, givign what type they are and signature powers of that house, which I think is a nice touch.

Quite a few extra actions for use in starship combat for Pyskers,  I especially like the idea that Telekinetics can just set ship components on fire (-60 focus test).

8 Alternate careers, including quite a few for non-pys types, including hunters and protects of Pyskers and my current favourite the Acolyte of Abraxus who can gain the force special ability for his luminen blasts.

a few elite advances including nulls, which look fun.

Good book in my opinion and much looking forward to the next one.

#9 TorogTarkdacil812

TorogTarkdacil812

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:43 AM

Thanks for a short runthrough Angelis, care to elaborate more? I would be most intrested list and short description/insights of new Alternate Career Ranks and Elite Advances

There is nothing as good as seeing rebel scum running out of a cave full of gas, right into the blasters of your battalion-–well, except sunrises, but for those you have to get up early.

#10 angelis1974

angelis1974

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:45 AM

Just a disclaimer I haven’t read these properly as I am in the office therefore, there may be things I have missed or misinterpreted.

Alternate careers

Acolyte of Abraxus.
Explorator, rank 3+
Basically allows the exploratory to upgrade himself with some pys powers as implanted artefacts, as well as the ability to gain the force trait on his luminen blasts

Awakened Pysker
Any human rank 3+ (except Pyskers)
Your character awakens as a Pysker and gains a discipline not powerful as there aren’t any power increases but you can get a few powers.

Bone tracker
Any (except pyskers)
A trader in Pyschic artefacts, similar to the cold trade broker but with pys rather than Xenos, I imagine that Ordo Hereticus hae these guys

Colcho servo master
Any Rank 3+
Someone who can control servitors with an implanted device.

Defender of the 4th Cypher
Arch-militant/Missionary 3+
Pysker hunters, gain resisttance to psy powers and the Pure faith Talant, quite a nice one if you are going up against pyskers.

Elurian Devotee
Navigator Rank 1+
Members of an anti-Psy conspiracy, however they get a nice power which at novice they don’t have to pick (warp ubound, targets daemons and psykers forcing making them unable to use powers fettered and later on, can obly push powers and at master it affects groups)

Psylakis Warder
Any rank 3+ (except psykers)
Become mindlinked to someone, be there body guard, know where they are, as well as giving bonueses against psy powers

Witness of Dusk
Astropath 1+
Not quite sure, but they seems to be a group who develop extrasensory perceptions, including Unnatural perception x2 and unnatural senses (30m)

Elite picks
Hexicar, 300xp
The ability to remove the soul bound trait and gain accursed and a malignancy, I can only assume its for people who want to use psy powers unbound

Void mad prophet, 500xp
Must be mad, gain a trait that allows you to treat any Int skill as basic, while gaining insanity

Untouchable 500xp, +100xp per extra level
Gain the untouchable trait, that makes you immune to psy etc, also reduces all psy powers by the rating if the power is close by, (not immune to indirect effects, like having a rock dropped on you from a high level)

#11 TorogTarkdacil812

TorogTarkdacil812

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:08 AM

Thank you very much for quick reply! Fluffwise I am suddenly intrested in Bone Trade and Elurians, nice concept sketches for all 40kRPG games. Witness of Dusk seems to be something connected to everyones favourite cursed planet for Dark Heresy, and Psylakis Watcher might be connection to Shira Calpurnia novel Blind…

Also Elite Advances sound like gold. May I ask few more questions? Hexicar is so something like an unbound (and thus possibly Chaosy) Astropath? Being Mad means having psychick disorder? And scalable untouchtable is that there are various levels of "null" power, as in some negative Psy Rating? Damn cool.

There is nothing as good as seeing rebel scum running out of a cave full of gas, right into the blasters of your battalion-–well, except sunrises, but for those you have to get up early.

#12 angelis1974

angelis1974

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:31 AM

TorogTarkdacil812 said:

Thank you very much for quick reply! Fluffwise I am suddenly intrested in Bone Trade and Elurians, nice concept sketches for all 40kRPG games. Witness of Dusk seems to be something connected to everyones favourite cursed planet for Dark Heresy, and Psylakis Watcher might be connection to Shira Calpurnia novel Blind…

Also Elite Advances sound like gold. May I ask few more questions? Hexicar is so something like an unbound (and thus possibly Chaosy) Astropath? Being Mad means having psychick disorder? And scalable untouchtable is that there are various levels of "null" power, as in some negative Psy Rating? Damn cool.

Indeed I beleive the planet dusk is mentioned.

That would be my reading of the Hexicar as well,

Kind of a psychic disorder, he gains the ability to hear voices, and these voices help him, you just have to be mad in the first place, and can get madder.

Yep, each level of untouchable is the amount psy powers are reduced around you, if I am reading this right on my quick skim, the untouchable is immune to psy powers, however if another charater is standing close enough to the untouchable, the power rating of any power used on them is reduced by the untouchables rating.

For example,

3 characters facing a rogue psyker,
An untouchable (4) [UT], a rogue trader [RT] 2m from the UT and an Arch militant [AM] 25m from the UT.
The Pysker decides to telekinetic blast someone, he push for a power rating of 8, if he uses it against the UT it fails, if he uses it against the RT then it hits at power 4 as he is close enough to the UT, if he uses against the AM then it would hit at the full power of 8

If thats wrong someone let me know, but it is how it reads

#13 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,073 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:50 AM

Does the Null package prevent a Footfallen character from using Psyniscience? We have someone that want's to play a Footfallen with Unnatural Origins (Tainted by the Warp) that goes on to hunt psykers and possibly even daemons. The Null might be perfect for that, but I don't want to later find out it's going to block out using Psyniscience.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#14 Kiton

Kiton

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:36 AM

I can' t imagine psyniscience still working for them; they're basically cut-off and immune to the stuff.

#15 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:28 AM

Got any word on the Weirdboy or new Navigator abilities?

My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

#16 signoftheserpent

signoftheserpent

• Members
  • 843 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:04 AM

This looks to be a good book. Hopefully it's useful for Dark Heresy (which is something that can be asked of most RT books). Are the Navigator Houses those that are active in Calixis?

#17 angelis1974

angelis1974

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:07 AM

Still not had time to read it fully.

I don’t think it specifically states an issue with Psiniscence (just skimmed the rules) however I wouldn’t allow as the whole point of being null is that you have absolutely no contact with the warp so wouldn’t be able to sense it with Psiniscence

Well being an Ork player in the TT game, I like it, I would have liked a foot of Gork power but the others are there, the bad things tables are funny as they should be, including the one where you’re head explodes, I also like that before they buy any powers they can when focusing roll to randomly see what power happens, they get a boost of +1 psy per ork within 10m, which combined with the ability to buy minders (orks who’s job is to make sure when it goes wrong its not too bad) and they stay within 5m means the fact that they can only buy up to psy 4 isn’t too bad. I know want to turn someone into a squig.

Really only skimmed the navigator powers, but there are quite a few more of them about 8 I think, also a few starship combat actions only doable by navi’s,

For the houses, to a degree yes they are calixsis based, as they are noted as being the big ones in the Expanse, but to work the expanse you have to have logically come through calixsis, 8 houses, 2 of each type (nomad, rogue, etc) then about half a page of fluff and then a side bar for each with game mechanics, mostly a few peers/enemies/etc based on who they like and don’t like, then each has a ritual listed that if performed first gives a small bonus to navigating, this varies from spilling blood into chalices to holding your hand in a flame long enough to take a 1d5+2 (not sure) crit

#18 signoftheserpent

signoftheserpent

• Members
  • 843 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:16 AM

angelis1974 said:

Still not had time to read it fully.

I don’t think it specifically states an issue with Psiniscence (just skimmed the rules) however I wouldn’t allow as the whole point of being null is that you have absolutely no contact with the warp so wouldn’t be able to sense it with Psiniscence

Well being an Ork player in the TT game, I like it, I would have liked a foot of Gork power but the others are there, the bad things tables are funny as they should be, including the one where you’re head explodes, I also like that before they buy any powers they can when focusing roll to randomly see what power happens, they get a boost of +1 psy per ork within 10m, which combined with the ability to buy minders (orks who’s job is to make sure when it goes wrong its not too bad) and they stay within 5m means the fact that they can only buy up to psy 4 isn’t too bad. I know want to turn someone into a squig.

Really only skimmed the navigator powers, but there are quite a few more of them about 8 I think, also a few starship combat actions only doable by navi’s,

For the houses, to a degree yes they are calixsis based, as they are noted as being the big ones in the Expanse, but to work the expanse you have to have logically come through calixsis, 8 houses, 2 of each type (nomad, rogue, etc) then about half a page of fluff and then a side bar for each with game mechanics, mostly a few peers/enemies/etc based on who they like and don’t like, then each has a ritual listed that if performed first gives a small bonus to navigating, this varies from spilling blood into chalices to holding your hand in a flame long enough to take a 1d5+2 (not sure) crit

I haven't read the book, but i am assuming that these are the Calixian Houses (it would be a missed opportunity otherwise), for obvious reasons.

#19 8bitninja

8bitninja

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:24 PM

I suppose if this was in there you would have mentioned it, but is there any chance the book contains more mechanical stuff about warp travel? Or even fluff things? Stuff like, for example, where in a system you can jump from and why, where you enter and why, if you can jump in combat, how long the transition to warpspace takes, why it can't be done near suns, that kind of thing. 

#20 angelis1974

angelis1974

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:20 PM

8bitninja said:

I suppose if this was in there you would have mentioned it, but is there any chance the book contains more mechanical stuff about warp travel? Or even fluff things? Stuff like, for example, where in a system you can jump from and why, where you enter and why, if you can jump in combat, how long the transition to warpspace takes, why it can't be done near suns, that kind of thing.

Well, some of that is in there, definitely more mechanical stuff on warp travel including what happens if you are unlucky and jump into a warp storm etc, yes you can jump in combat, one of the navigator specific space combat actions is the emergency jump, there is indeed some fluff on the who/what and why’s but can’t be too specific as I have been busy, (strangely running a game)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS