why do I need more then one box?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 shahryar

shahryar

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:43 PM

I saw video of this game and it really interested me but saw a bunch of posts asking how many boxes they needed and people said at least one box per player, why is this? I thought that everything was included in the LCGs. are the extra boxes only needed for someone who wants to customize their deck like it was a CCG, and if I have one box can I not just let someone use one of the decks in the box and just play? That's the kind of card game I am drawn to right now something with more complexity then a normal card game but not needing to buy booster packs every week.

#2 VTSvsAlucard

VTSvsAlucard

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:07 PM

shahryar said:

I saw video of this game and it really interested me but saw a bunch of posts asking how many boxes they needed and people said at least one box per player, why is this? I thought that everything was included in the LCGs. are the extra boxes only needed for someone who wants to customize their deck like it was a CCG, and if I have one box can I not just let someone use one of the decks in the box and just play? That's the kind of card game I am drawn to right now something with more complexity then a normal card game but not needing to buy booster packs every week.

I don't own Netrunner yet, but every other LCG only requires 1 core set. Some people buy 2 or 3 extras to have the maximum number of copies permitted for each card. In other words, the Lord of the Rings core set comes XXX number of cards, including the card "Unexpected Courage" and the card "Sneak Attack."There are 2 copies of Sneak Attack but only 1 of Unexpected Courage, but 3 are permitted in a deck. So while one Core Set easily has enough cards for more than one person, some players buy a second so that they can have another copy the 1x and 2x cards. Another reason for one per player is so you don't have to constantly trade around cards when building decks. Netrunner probably won't be as big a deal since the corp and runner don't share a card pool. All of the expansions have 3x of each card.

tl;dr: You only need one core set to start. From there, I personally would just buy other expansions. However, if you really like the 1x or 2x cards in the core set, or your buddy wants to cut down on the sharing of cards, you could buy a second.

Edit: Wanted to add that you can totally let someone else use the decks in the box to play with you. Additionally, with Netrunner this probably won't be a problem since as far as I know the Runner and Corp do not share any cards (again I have not played).

#3 AussieKSU

AussieKSU

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:22 PM

4 of my friends have been using 1 box's contents and have been having a blast. The thing about one box is that there are not enough cards to make multiple corp decks, and scarecly enough for multiple runner decks. This just means that you have to strip your existing corp deck. Suffice to say that if you want more than one existing deck for a side, you'll need another core set. With the expansion boosters, however, I could easily see one core set being able to support multiple decks for each side.

If you are looking for a one buy to have fun with a few friends, one core set will suffice.

No cards are both runner and corp.

#4 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:37 AM

shahryar said:

I saw video of this game and it really interested me but saw a bunch of posts asking how many boxes they needed and people said at least one box per player, why is this?

The core set has enough cards to buid a corp and a runner deck at the same time, so if both players want to build a corp deck and a runner deck, both will need a core set. If both players are fine with only building either a corp or a runner deck, playing against each other, then each building a deck for the opposite side, one core set will be sufficient for two players.

#5 byronczimmer

byronczimmer

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:06 AM

Out of the Box experience from a single Core set for two players is exceptional.

If you choose to play competitively, each participant should have their own set so they can come to the tournament armed with 1 Corp Deck ready and 1 Runner Deck ready.

If you choose to expand your deck building options, a second core set will open up almost all possibilities, as you will have more than x3 of all cards except the dozen or so cards which are made available singly in the core set..

If you are extremely hard core, purchase of a third set will let you run with x3 of those dozen or so cards, but they are very situational and/or unique cards that having in multiples of x3 will add miniscule value to your play decks.

• Internutt likes this

#6 Janus

Janus

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:28 AM

You pretty much only need to think about buying more than 1 core box if you want multiples of every single card for competitive tournament play and don't want to do any trading with others.

#7 Ash1138

Ash1138

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

I disagree with several of the claims here. You do not need 3x of every card to be competitive as suggested by many. Many of the 1x or 2x copies of cards in the Core set are those that you likely shouldn't be playing 3-of anyway. I believe the real reason to own multiple Core sets is for players who want to have multiple Corp and Runner decks built at the same time. Indeed, I do not miss having a third copy of the 1x or 2x cards nearly as much as I miss having 6x of great staple cards. 

Someone said that one Core set doesn't contain enough cards to make multiple Corp decks and scarcely enough to make multiple runner decks. I find the opposite to be true. The Core set comes with more Corp cards, and Corps do not seem nearly as reliant on neutral faction cards. With one Core set I have a very solid Jinteki Corp deck as well as an HBN Corp deck that I'm very proud of. I have a decent Criminal Runner deck, and for the life of me I cannot create another Runner deck of any worth with the remaining cards (and this is WITH the first 3 data packs). I really feel like I need another Core set, not to be competitive, but so that I can have more decks (ideally would like to have one of each faction).

To sum up, one Core is definitely enough to play the game enjoyably with two players. Ideally, as a customizable card game, I'd recommend each player to have their own cards, but it's not necessary. Getting extra Core sets is a luxury that can help you get more out of your game. That's all.

#8 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:28 PM

This thread was 7 months old. Why rez it ?

#9 Engineer 4th

Engineer 4th

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:02 AM

Toqtamish said:

Why not?  Do you feel tricked into reading something that wasn't just said? If you had no interest in reading about it why click on it? Was someone "wrong" on the internet and you had to correct them? He clearly had an opinion on it and felt like contributing.

I'm glad he "rez'd" it. I just came to this part of the forum to look up some info on this game and found it to be helpful. The only unhelpful post in here was you.

#10 Runix

Runix

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

Toqtamish said:

He scored a Priority Requisition and didn't have anything else to play it on.

• Hank McCoy likes this

#11 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:20 AM

Engineer 4th said:

Toqtamish said:

Why not?  Do you feel tricked into reading something that wasn't just said? If you had no interest in reading about it why click on it? Was someone "wrong" on the internet and you had to correct them? He clearly had an opinion on it and felt like contributing.

I'm glad he "rez'd" it. I just came to this part of the forum to look up some info on this game and found it to be helpful. The only unhelpful post in here was you.

Wow, pointless backlash much.

#12 Deathseed

Deathseed

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:54 AM

It's helpful to noobs like me that just picked up the game and were wondering the same question.

• Justicex75 and Hank McCoy like this

You think you've got problems. What are you supposed to do if you are a manically depressed robot? No, don't even bother answering. I'm 50,000 times more intelligent than you, and even I don't know the answer.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS