Dust warfare tokens

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Seblys

Seblys

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:56 PM

So I was in the process of making my own tokens for the game when I stumbled across these on Ebay….

http://www.ebay.com....=item3377604b23

Needless to say I am no longer making my own tokens :)

#2 Drag0n

Drag0n

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:16 AM

Its common souvenir tecs, I know peoples who can make simlpe tokens with custom pics on them.

#3 Major Malfunction

Major Malfunction

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:20 AM

I saw those, but like the classic look of the rulebook tokens. I ended up printing them and punching out 1" circles from the cardboard the unit boxes are made out of, and gluing the paper tokens on them. Having single sided tokens made me crazy so I put the symbols on both sides.

Now I have double sided tokens that are nice and thick and cost way less than $30. :)

#4 Seblys

Seblys

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

$30 doesn't seem like a lot of money to me? :o

#5 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:41 PM

I use poker chips… dollar store… nice feel… I can roll them over in my fingers like a shooter…. cost a dollar… 30 dollars is a lot for me to spend on gaming tokens as well… I got bills to pay…. and models to buy… and like 7 different miniature games to support… no money for fancy markers when a pair of sciccors, white elmer's glue and some dollar store poker chips look great and feel all poker-chippy awesome to roll in the fingers and stack.

:)

Plus, $30 worth wouldn't even cut it for me… only 12 suppression markers… that wouldn't cut the mustard, even if both players had 12 markers each (which would be $30 each per player)….

#6 Drag0n

Drag0n

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:45 PM

its geat idea for those who want more than papersciccor counter but 1" token is too big, I think. Imagine a 1-2 miniantures and 3-4 tokens nearby - looks bulky

#7 Seblys

Seblys

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:08 PM

Oh well, thought I would share anyway.

Haven't personally needed to use more than 12 supression markers in a turn when I've played with my mate. The largest game we've played is 225 points though.

#8 Major Malfunction

Major Malfunction

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:31 AM

Drag0n said:

its geat idea for those who want more than papersciccor counter but 1" token is too big, I think. Imagine a 1-2 miniantures and 3-4 tokens nearby - looks bulky

I dunno, the bases for Dust models are 30mm, so your 1" marker is only 25mm. It's smaller than a base, but big enough to see from all the way across the table. I've seen some pretty small counters used but the 1" works better for me. When you need reading glasses every little bit helps. :)

As for the cost, for me it's not that $30 is a deal breaker, just an added bonus that I saved enough on making my own markers to buy another squad. ;)

#9 deedob

deedob

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:29 AM

When i first read the warfare rules, i printed and started cutting the "official" tokens to mount them on similar-sized wooden discs to use as tokens…
Before i was done with that little project, we played a game… so i used my old colored glass beads that i use for markers for tons of other games.

We found out that it was really easy to use the colored beads and that the official markers were barelly needed in the first place.

Yellow beads = unit has been activated (in the unit phase).
Red beads = wounds.
Blue beads = reaction.
Green beads = supression.
Black beads = various status effects.
The "reload" tokens from Dust Tactics = out of ammo.

There are so little "status effects" in our games (maybe 1 or 2 max at any one time) that it's never been an issue to remember what a particular black bead represented.

The color code took us about 5 minutes to remember and it's no longer an issue.
The beads are really visible and they take about ¼ of an inch in diameter, so they don't clutter the view too much.

So the project to make the "official" tokens has been put on indefinite hold…

#10 HuronBH

HuronBH

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:19 AM

I've been using the cutouts for a while now (spent 2 hours cutting them out on afternoon so you better believe I was going to use them).  Personally I really want some GF9 custom plastic ones to be made and released. I have been thinking about having Litko make me some too.  

The linked to tokens are nice, and I wouldn't necessarily be against paying that much for good tokens.  However there general size and shape see like a detriment to a token.  You want tokens to be thin and flat so you can stack multiples of them on top on each other which would be impossible with these.  I have definitely played games where some units had as many as 5 Suppression, a reaction, several wound, and an out of ammo counter all at once (Schwer Command Squad lead by Lara).  While I think those tokens could work in smaller games, at 300pts you would need a set per player and they would probably prove to clunky to use.

-jay

#11 Drag0n

Drag0n

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:40 PM

As a regular Warmachine player I use counters from Privateer Press, but also have a lot small plastic skulls beads from local biker ock-n-roll shop - cheap and good looking ;)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS