Other settings?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 fjw70

fjw70

• Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:58 PM

Does anyone use the WFR rules for any other settings (either from another game or home brewed)?

#2 doc_cthulhu

doc_cthulhu

• Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:22 PM

There aren't any official other settings and I haven't encountered any home-brewn either.

The Daily Empire - An inspirational & resource site for all games of Warhammer

The Guild Blog - A blog about RPGs, games (and apparently comics) by my gaming group

#3 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

Pretending to be many, many things.

• Members
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:35 PM

I've always thought this system would work incredibly well for Ravenloft. 

Listen to my actual play podcasts at BeggingForXP.com.

Take a look at my Talent Trees (Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion), YT-2400 deck plans for the Lazy Bantha, as well as my other handouts.

#4 Amani

Amani

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:14 PM

I second the Ravenloft notion. Hell yes it would!

#5 k7e9

k7e9

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:06 PM

I've thought about using the WFRP-rules in a Wheel of Time-setting. I think it would work well if the spell system is slightly modified, i.e. the spells are divided into affinities earth, fire, water, air, spirit, or combinations of them instead. The channeler (wizards in this setting) would have to purchase talents for each affinity and can purchase a maximum number of affinities equal to the number of time spellcraft has been trained (so three at most). Casting a spell with a trait that you do not have an affinity for adds one challenge die per trait that doesn't match.

Careers: The Witch/warlock careers are obviously village wisdoms. Most careers work well out of the box, some should be slightly modified to fit the setting or simply have their names changed.

Male channelers: Use the corruption rules, hand out insanities when over the threshold.

Equipment: Remove gunpouder.

Playable races: Human. Different regions have different bonuses (much like the provinces of the empire in the hero's call).

I haven't created any of the above, just had thoughts about doing it.

#6 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:06 PM

If you look around the forums, there was someone who has used wfrpg 3 for a superhero setting.

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#7 GaiusIII

GaiusIII

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:59 PM

I've been using the WFRP rules in my Dark Sun game for the past two years and it works beautifully. I modified crits to be harder to shrug off to reflect the deadlier nature of the setting (you don't heal a crit by getting enough hammers on a heal check, you only reduce its severity by one point). We also created lots of action cards to go with the setting and it was easy to give WFRP stats to the various races. I also created a psionic system that keys off of stress and insanities for psionic crits. If you deviate too far from the WFRP world, you will have to create your own careers. I ended up writing a career compendium for Dark Sun that my group uses that is very, very extensive. Spells so far have been simple to snag from Warhammer. One of our players is playing an Air cleric and there are several WFRP cards that he has been able to use for spells. Defiling was also easy to respec for WFRP. It simply gives you more power points. We also created a few poisons, since that is such a big part of the setting. As far as creatures go, I find I can often use a creature's stats from Warhammer and maybe tweak it a bit for Dark Sun. It's easy enough, I can do it on the fly if necessary. We're accumulating enough creatures this way that we'll have a Dark Sun specific bestiary soon.

Speaking of careers, we quickly ran into the problem of characters advancing to quickly and this is a game we play every week, so in order to slow the rate of advancement down, we decided you can only take Intermediate careers at rank 2, Advanced at rank 4, Elite at rank 7, and Heroic at rank 10. The xp cost for skills is also more. Each rank costs that many xp to gain and you have to be Advanced before you can take rank 3 in a skill. That has really preserved the longevity of the campaign.

So, the answer to your question is yes, you can use it for other settings. The more the world deviates from the Old World, the more work you have cut out for you, but in all honesty, the work is easy because the system is intuitive and easy to play with. It just takes some time. If you are interested in seeing our Career Compendium and our rulebook, send me a private message. It has a lot of copyrighted art in it, so I don't like to publicly post the .pdfs we created.

#8 Amani

Amani

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:11 PM

I've wanted to create a new system for Dark Sun for years now, just have never found the time. Wonderful setting and although it was created by D&D I've never thought that system did it justice. I've sent you a request to see your work GauisIII, can't wait.

#9 doc_cthulhu

doc_cthulhu

• Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:31 AM

Just remembered that someone created a plugin for WH40K.

The Guild Blog - A blog about RPGs, games (and apparently comics) by my gaming group

#10 GrimAndPerilous.com

GrimAndPerilous.com

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:17 AM

I played in a Fallout game using the WFRP 3E version for nearly a year. It was fun!

As a matter of fact, here's a snippet of items we developed.

#11 doc_cthulhu

doc_cthulhu

• Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:21 AM

GrimAndPerilous.com said:

I played in a Fallout game using the WFRP 3E version for nearly a year. It was fun!

You do understand that now you have to share all of these files, right?

#12 Johannes_Tippmeister

Johannes_Tippmeister

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:40 AM

Good grief, what a brilliant idea! I've re-installed Fallout 3 GOTY the other week and I'm totally in the zone, so to speak. Can't possibly make a better post-apocalyptic RPG, I dare say. Radiation, scavenging. and all in the still-smoldering ruins of a civilization both advanced and foolish.

#13 GrimAndPerilous.com

GrimAndPerilous.com

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:35 AM

doc_cthulhu said:

You do understand that now you have to share all of these files, right?

Heh, wait until you see the "powered by ZWEIHÄNDER" Fallout game my friend has been working on! ;)

#14 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:03 AM

It would take lots of work rewriting fluff etc. but I found myself wishing the WFRP core system had been used for the One Ring tolkien game (chaos star becomes eye of sauron, comet becomes gandalf rune).  I loved One Ring's attention to detail but found the resolution system not offering enough player options etc.

#15 doc_cthulhu

doc_cthulhu

• Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:10 AM

valvorik said:

It would take lots of work rewriting fluff etc. but I found myself wishing the WFRP core system had been used for the One Ring tolkien game (chaos star becomes eye of sauron, comet becomes gandalf rune).  I loved One Ring's attention to detail but found the resolution system not offering enough player options etc.

Really? I've been browsing though it every now and then and find it intriguing. I have no idea how it plays out but it certainly looks most interesting.

#16 Callidon

Callidon

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:12 AM

Running Conan adventures with WFRP is pretty simple as well.  You end up dropping some of the more Warhammer Setting spot-weld parts of the system off and the rest runs pretty much with the rules as written.  It makes for a bloody affair to be sure.  I imagine that if a dedicated conversion were to be attempted, that a more Howardian version of the rules would come to light but we just pulled it out of the seat of our pants one weekend about half a year back.

STUFF:

Edge of the Empire: Talent Trees; Force Powers; Character Sheet

#17 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

Pretending to be many, many things.

• Members
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:42 AM

valvorik said:

Have you run/played it, or is this from reading the rules?

I've been running both for a while now and I haven't found the One Ring lacking in the least.

Listen to my actual play podcasts at BeggingForXP.com.

Take a look at my Talent Trees (Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion), YT-2400 deck plans for the Lazy Bantha, as well as my other handouts.

#18 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:49 PM

I have run One Ring, and the table all found it flavourful but lacking in mechanical choices for players compared to WFRP, both in combat and out of it.  I posted at cubicle 7 forum about our experience.  Good roleplayers can always roleplay of course but a system should support that and encourage it, not simply rely on it.  This verdict comes from a table 5/6ths Tolkien fans, two of us having read the history of middle earth series, several having once tried MERP etc.  as said , I do love the detail in OR, the way every trait etc. is anchored in source material, the beauty of the art etc.  

I plan to keep buying the product line but feel a WFRP hack or the Mouseguard hack some use might be better system.  For example, WFRP corruption points can be revised into shadow etc.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS