Photo

Ok, y'all gotta' see this: The price of WFRP dice on Amazon are how much???

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:40 PM

I don't need the dice this bad!

www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1589946979/ref=sr_1_1_olp

jh

#2 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:46 PM

I see the GM's Vault is on clearance as well, so that's probably the cheapest you'll find dice until all the old packs go out distributor warehouses:  www.frpgames.com/cart.php

It only comes with 12 dice though..same as a dice pack used to.

There are 30 dice in the core set.

#3 Bobus X

Bobus X

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:05 PM

Heh, maybe I should sell a couple packs of dice and buy 5 more Core sets…

#4 flyndad

flyndad

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:48 AM

WTF is going on ?!?    I have noticed campaign prices dropping and dice going through the roof,… does ANYBODY know why ??  Are they going to stop making the dice ??

#5 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

Pretending to be many, many things.

• Members
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:11 AM

The Amazon sellers are crazy. Last month I saw the Mouseguard boxed set up for $1000, when you could buy it elsewhere for $70. 

Just because someone (or a bunch of people who jump on the bandwagon) decided to throw a crazy number up there doesn't mean it sells. 

Listen to my actual play podcasts at BeggingForXP.com.

Take a look at my Talent Trees (Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion), YT-2400 deck plans for the Lazy Bantha, as well as my other handouts.

#6 Johannes_Tippmeister

Johannes_Tippmeister

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:22 AM

Doc, the Weasel said:

The Amazon sellers are crazy. Last month I saw the Mouseguard boxed set up for $1000, when you could buy it elsewhere for $70. 

Just because someone (or a bunch of people who jump on the bandwagon) decided to throw a crazy number up there doesn't mean it sells. 

I noticed this before. Out of print items sometimes get listed for Star Trek numbers.

It's safe to say that no-one is buying, but I often wonder about the intentions. Now, if people used tools to determine the average sale price I'd see the point in tempering with the data in such a way to push the average price up and to make one's own listings appear less expensive by comparison later on (smart tools would detect outliers and filter them, of course). But this doesn't seem to be the case at the Amazon marketplace and so it remains a mystery to me.

#7 phild

phild

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:17 AM

It'll be down to the algorithms people use on their machines to set marketplace prices. There have been all sorts of crazy stories, mostly when two algorithms both using something like "price = highest current marketplace price + 0.5%" and then things go out of hand. Whenever you see a silly price on Amazon Marketplace, you can usually assume there is a poorly programmed computer behind it!

I've got a little Excel macro I've written which does dice rolling for me. Very handy for rolling without players knowing. I also use it for results where the players shouldn't know if they have succeeded: the player rolls the "certainty" dice (characteristics, stance, expertise) and I roll the "uncertainty" dice (challenge, fortune, misfortune).

#8 Superchunk

Superchunk

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:20 AM

There's also this:

http://home.comcast....oller.html#roll

#9 macd21

macd21

• Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:48 AM

phild said:

It'll be down to the algorithms people use on their machines to set marketplace prices. There have been all sorts of crazy stories, mostly when two algorithms both using something like "price = highest current marketplace price + 0.5%" and then things go out of hand. Whenever you see a silly price on Amazon Marketplace, you can usually assume there is a poorly programmed computer behind it!

It's probably  this. I've heard it described as 'dueling algorithms'. Lots of stores use automated systems to determine the price of their goods, 'cause they can't be bothered to figure out what would be a good price for such specialty goods themselves. These systems look at other stores and then assign a similar price. Usually it's "Store X's price - Y%," which would reduce the price and give the store a competitive advantage, but sometimes they add a bit to the price in order (they figure someone won't bother to check all the sites and buy it anyway).

So in this case the dice were probably something like $10 from store A. Then Store B put it up for $10 + 10% = $11. Store A then started selling it for $11 - 5% = $10.45, which then caused B to put it up for $10.45 + 10%…. etc etc.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS