How do you shuffle your cards?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Halfling

Halfling

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:55 PM

The adventure and other decks, what method of shuffling do you use? I don't want to mess up my cards so i don't want to just shuffle them like i would a regular deck of playing cards.

So how do you do it?

#2 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,285 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:17 PM

My cards are sleeved, so I just shuffle them like pretty much I do all cards. Adventure deck has to be done in two halves, but all the other decks can be handled as one piece. Basically my shuffle looks very similar to this:

www.boardgamegeek.com/article/9861626#9861626

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#3 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:45 PM

The way i do it is:

I will make 6 or 7 decks with the adventure cards. Place them all on the table.

And take the top half of the deck and put it on a other deck

Repeat this many times, and you could shuffle each deck too.

In this manner, all the cards have been shuffled.

#4 Jimmythecritic

Jimmythecritic

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:18 AM

I put them face down in the box lid (one of the big boxes, not a small one) and shake them round…works well…

#5 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:35 AM

Jimmythecritic said:

I put them face down in the box lid (one of the big boxes, not a small one) and shake them round…works well…

Blasphemy - All the cards will be different ways up! Go on say it, I'm OCD with them lol

Ell.

#6 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:24 AM

I don't sleeve the cards. We've had the original board/set since it first came out, and have obtained each subsequent set as they came out as well; 

I can see no serious degradation to the older cards or any other deck leading up to Blood Moon. However, we probably don't play Talisman as often as most of you, so that could be why its lasting so well.

Well, after years of trying to adequately shuffle new decks into the original, I do find that the 'newer' the card the more it seems to 'cling' to same set. Many of the Blood Moon cards seem to stay together in the deck.

So I have begun counting out the cards into rows and columns, usually 8 by 8, whatever. Sometimes I'll take these 64 mini decks and reshuffle them separately and/or into other mini decks.

Blood Moon cards still stay together, oddly. I imagine by the time the next set comes around, it will be better (but City/small boards have less Adventure cards to add into the accumulated deck).

#7 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:47 AM

Not a shuffling thing, but just to add. I have sleeved my cards a few times, and being a bit of a strange person have unsleeved and tried new sleeves and have done it again and have now settled on FFG sleeves.

However, I am still not 100% happy with the sleeves!

Anyway, my point was that in doing this after having played with various sets I noticed that the edges of the earlier cards were somewhat grubby and the newer ones were staying pristine (obviously).

Not really a point to it, but I do actually miss how cards look after playing with them for a while. Gives them a bit of "life" if you can see what I mean…

…and back to your normal programming!

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#8 Nioreh

Nioreh

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:16 PM

talismanamsilat said:

Jimmythecritic said:

Blasphemy - All the cards will be different ways up! Go on say it, I'm OCD with them lol

Ell.

Obviously he doesn't shake like crazy so th cards flip upside down but merely shake from side to side.

..anyways, I put one card at a time in something like 10 piles. Takes some time but the problem is with the parts were you exchanged trophies for str/cra. Here lots of enemies of the same type needs to be separated, when we shuffled less rigorously this showed every once in a while (consecutive cards with enemies that had the str/cra sum of ~7, ~14, ~21 etc). We also sometimes had streaks of awesome cards since they were put together after the previous game ended.

Seriously considering sleeves though.. Its just that there's no way of fitting all of the stuff in one box if i sleeve all the cards
(Im guessing this will fail when the City expansion comes anyway so Ill probably just buy the damn sleeves then  )

#9 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,285 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:09 PM

Nioreh said:

Seriously considering sleeves though.. Its just that there's no way of fitting all of the stuff in one box if i sleeve all the cards
(Im guessing this will fail when the City expansion comes anyway so Ill probably just buy the damn sleeves then  )

If you toss out the insert, you can easily fit everything into one box. I keep mine (minus SP and Dragon) in the Dungeon box with the insert flipped over. Removing the insert would produce a lot more extra room.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#10 Jimmythecritic

Jimmythecritic

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:12 AM

Thanks Nioreh, but I'm pretty sure OCD guy needs the cards to be orientated the same way even when they are face down…

#11 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:58 AM

Jimmythecritic said:

Thanks Nioreh, but I'm pretty sure OCD guy needs the cards to be orientated the same way even when they are face down…

Indeed I do, and when they are discarded! lol

Ell.

#12 Nioreh

Nioreh

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:41 AM

Dam said:

Nioreh said:

If you toss out the insert, you can easily fit everything into one box. I keep mine (minus SP and Dragon) in the Dungeon box with the insert flipped over. Removing the insert would produce a lot more extra room.

Yeah, I know but I really really like the insert.. :/
The six small spaces are perfect for keeping all the small piles, two slots hold spell or a large expansion deck perfectly and since I dont store the plastic characters or markers in it the rest of the cards fits aswell.

You gave me one good reminder though: Why of Why am I still keeping the dragon cards in that box? We abandoned that expansion pretty fast so out with that deck and a small pile of other cards that we banned from game and the problem's solved :) ..for now.

Back on topic Ill also say that Ive considered a whole lot of times to try to experiment with a card shuffler. I would probably need to build somw kinda frame since the cards are smaller than standard playing cards but still.. I like the thought.

If I ever do it Ill post results here

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS