Bows for CSMs?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 antijoke_13

antijoke_13

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:03 AM

I've started up a BC game with all the characters playing a Claw of Night Lords that has fallen out with their main host due to philosophical differences. so far the group is running smoothely, with us hunting for remnants of VIII Legion gear and lore, as well as information on the whereabouts of Magnus (we're under the impression he can ressurect Kurze, so we can purge the Legion of the "False Nostrammans" i.e. the warband we broke from). However, playing a Forsaken, with a bit of experience with quiet executions and then staking out the bodies to scare the enemy (works well quite a bit of the time), I was thinking about picking up a bow built for Astartes. I find that quite possibly one of the scariest things the lapdogs of the false emperor could experience is seeing a two and a half foot long arrow flying in from the darkness to impale a buddy. This is the stats i've got right now. what do you think?

Astartes recurve Bow

A weapon almost never used by loyalist or Chaos space marines, the Astartes recurve bow is a vicious weapon noted for its silence, ease of use, and the psychological impact  it has on its targets. a bow easily as tall as a man, the Astartes bow uses serrated, barbed mono-arrows that rip through most light armour with ease, and can even puncture power armour, given the strength of the wielder. If the Astartes Bow is used with any kind of special ammunition, it loses the tearing and crippling qualities 

basic weapon

1d10 +SB R

Pen 0

Range: 50 M

RoF: S/-/-

Clip: 1

Rld: half

Tearing, crippling (2)

#2 Asoral

Asoral

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:11 AM

Looks quite good, I think you might want to have it have some penetration if its used in short range or so.

Now to just get that badboy all daemon weaponed up… Almots as cool as a Daemon Weapon bolter cane :P

#3 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:01 PM

You can certainly have a bow built big/strong enough for a Space Marine, but I wouldn't call it Astartes/Legion Bow because that implies that it would be covered by Astartes/Legion Weapon Training - which I strongly doubt is the case.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#4 Reverend mort

Reverend mort

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:28 PM

Actually, since the normal bow in Black Crusade is a simple basic weapon, it is covered by Astartes Weapon training. So I see no reason not to make this indeed count as an astartes weapon, considering the massive size and absurd draw weight of a bow built for a space marine would have.

#5 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:49 PM

Reverend mort said:

Actually, since the normal bow in Black Crusade is a simple basic weapon, it is covered by Astartes Weapon training. So I see no reason not to make this indeed count as an astartes weapon, considering the massive size and absurd draw weight of a bow built for a space marine would have.

If it's just bigger, then it should stay Basic so Ogryn and some oversized mutants can use it too. I also don't see Ancient Warrior helping with getting a big bow, and if it's a Legion weapon (Astartes weapons are in DW), that's what happens.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#6 Reverend mort

Reverend mort

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:23 AM

HappyDaze said:

Reverend mort said:

If it's just bigger, then it should stay Basic so Ogryn and some oversized mutants can use it too. I also don't see Ancient Warrior helping with getting a big bow, and if it's a Legion weapon (Astartes weapons are in DW), that's what happens.

They could, assuming they meet the unnatural strength (+4) or higher. The bow would merely count as a heavy weapons in the hands of a non-Astartes and, indeed, require that unnatural strength +4 or higher to not get a -20 penalty. And I'm assuming you mean Basic as in a non-Astartes weapon, and not Basic as in the weapon category?

As for Ancient Warrior, why not? Presumably, the bonus one gets to acquire Legion weapons from that is at least in part from either already having them or from knowing people who make/trade them. Since such a bow would presumably be made FOR Astartes, I see no reason why knowing people who deal in that stuff wouldn't help in getting one.

#7 brother maxximus

brother maxximus

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:43 AM

I think the reverand is correct. I actuly stumbled across this form because i also have convinced my gm to give me a legion bow. I made the point it should be effected by ancient warrior because it probly is a legion wepon. What do you think the legions used as a stelth wepons when they didnt have stalker bolter or silent bolter rounds. They didnt have eather back then. I also agree with the earlye post that the bow should have a pen. After all wit was made to take on an enemy worthy of a space marine.

#8 yourface

yourface

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:18 AM

Ok, I know this has been has nothing to do with topic but I do not think it would be that hard to find Magnus. Planet of Sorrcers is well know, so I think it would be easy to find and then finding Magnus big tower there would be a breeze.

#9 brother maxximus

brother maxximus

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:54 PM

I dont know make a new topic about it

#10 antijoke_13

antijoke_13

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:59 AM

alright, fixed the Pen value. didn't wanna make it OP, so it's not on par with a bolter, but with the damage bonus coming from SB, hopefully that equals out.

Basic Weapon

1d10+SB

Pen 2

Range: 50 m

RoF: S/-/-

Clip: 1

Reload: half

Crippling(2), Tearing

#11 Thaddux

Thaddux

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:29 PM

I'd love to see some rules for converting ammunition into arrows, such as strapping a bolt shell onto a wooden shaft. :P

#12 brother maxximus

brother maxximus

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:19 PM

that would proly be up to the GM. also there is a explosive arrow upgrade that comes in the book.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS