Combat Apothecary

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 afterimagedan

afterimagedan

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:36 PM

Any ideas on how to make an Apothecary more combat skilled? I am not talking about house rules; I'm looking for advice on talents, etc.  

#2 SomVone

SomVone

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:37 AM

The best way to do this is with chapter advances. Blood Angels works pretty well, but any chapter with combative advance tables should work pretty well. Codex chapters have a lot of combat choices so they should be pretty good. You won't be as dangerous as a dedicated combat marine, but you can be pretty lethal.

#3 Thebigjul

Thebigjul

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:49 PM

Jsut to keep it in mind, my KT with a SW Dev, A Ultra Tac and psyker, SW Tech and a DA Apathicary had fought genestealer some 12 of them. With bolt pistol and chainsword the DA apothicary killed 8 of them without suffering a single wound when all the other members of the team get bad wounds.

Yes it was a lucky day for him but my point is that apothicary are quite gifted already…

#4 Atma01

Atma01

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:11 PM

Depends on what you mean by Combat. Shooty, choppy, or a mix of both?

I run a BA Apoth geared towards sniping. My logic being that I need to stay alive to keep the other members of the team alive. So being at the back, picking off things from range, and moving up to heal as needed, seems to work. And if you do your gear up right you can cause horrific damage, many times being the cou de gras  for something big and nasty. Or picking off the more foolish enemies engaged in Hand to Hand with your brethren to free them up.

For signature Wargear I chose a Stalker Pattern Bolter, with Chainblade Attachment, and a Telescopic Sight. With the +10 to Hit choice for it being Signature. Load that baby up with some choice ammo, and you are unseen death at almost any range. And you can even stab people with your gun for when shiz gets real.

That being said remember your role in the team. You aren't the Dev. You don't need to be all killing all the time. You are the healer. And ultimately you should put that before anything else. If anyone gives you crap for it, you remind them who it is that keeps them fighting in the Emperor's name when they notice there is more of their blood outside of their body than inside.

Also, poisons and drugs woo! Its awesome. Trust me, I'm a doctor. ;)

#5 Thebigjul

Thebigjul

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:43 AM

In the scirmish between my KT and the genestealer the DA Apothicary dispatched them with bolt and chainsword; A real Ad for Space Marine, dodging and parrying all attack made against him and there was a lot of them and never missing his target with a 3 out of 4 attack who had been death sentence for his oppement.

This day was quite impressive.

#6 Atma01

Atma01

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:33 AM

Acrobatics. Hands down one of the funnest skills to have. You literally get to flip out of combat. Which is great if you are shooty since it means you get a nice single point blank shot. 

My BA Apoth has two claims to fame. The first was when I chose to take a shot at a Stealer about to rip our new Tech-Marine to shreds after my turn (one more round of wounds would have killed him, and no fate points left) which would be easy to hit but had buckleys chance of the Stealer not dodging, over finishing the Dagon Overlord and completing our mission then and there. I chose to shoot the Stealer, the Emperor smiled, the Stealer failed to dodge, and its head disintegrated saving out Tech-Marine from assured death. That won me sniper honors.

The other was throwing a Chaos Lord off the roof of a building whilst we held there for evac, despite my piss poor strength. He didn't die, but it was AWESOME. No one uses the Maneuver action enough to throw people off things. It is great fun. 

If I have the Req I always try to bring a Fire Wasp from The Jericho Reach book. Those things are bros.

Been while since we played a game of Deathwatch. And I am itching to play around with my Apoth again. The fell forces of evil need to be reminded that Brother Raphael Tran is still out there, and why he is Baal's #1 commodity. Watch out evil, here comes Apothecary Tran. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS