PvP versus Co-op - a plea to FFG

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JK777

JK777

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:53 AM

I have read a great deal about the recent changes to Star Wars the card game following my disappointment when I realised the change that was being made in a Gen Con video.  I am sure that FFG are simply trying to respond to feedback from the potential buyers and perhaps a PvP will be a more successful formula, but I can't help but feel a little saddened by the decision. 

So here is a thought FFG, how about you try and crack both nuts with a single card game. PvP to meet the need in the market and Coop for when you are trying to improve your deck building skills.  I am sure that with a couple of extra mechanics and icons on the cards with perhaps some additional LOTR LCG style scenario cards specifically designed for coop you could potentially keep both sides of "the force" happy the cooperative Jedi and those PvP Sith who are forever trying to beat one another.  Oh, I can here the cries now, but wait it will be sub-optimal for both sets of players because it is neither one thing nor the other. Why? Surely with the best minds applied to the problem an optimal result could be sort for all.

Do it now FFG before it's too late. Think of the sales if you could really crack this, instead of dividing a market you could bring all the players together

#2 Inksplat

Inksplat

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:03 AM

JK777 said:

I have read a great deal about the recent changes to Star Wars the card game following my disappointment when I realised the change that was being made in a Gen Con video.  I am sure that FFG are simply trying to respond to feedback from the potential buyers and perhaps a PvP will be a more successful formula, but I can't help but feel a little saddened by the decision. 

So here is a thought FFG, how about you try and crack both nuts with a single card game. PvP to meet the need in the market and Coop for when you are trying to improve your deck building skills.  I am sure that with a couple of extra mechanics and icons on the cards with perhaps some additional LOTR LCG style scenario cards specifically designed for coop you could potentially keep both sides of "the force" happy the cooperative Jedi and those PvP Sith who are forever trying to beat one another.  Oh, I can here the cries now, but wait it will be sub-optimal for both sets of players because it is neither one thing nor the other. Why? Surely with the best minds applied to the problem an optimal result could be sort for all.

Do it now FFG before it's too late. Think of the sales if you could really crack this, instead of dividing a market you could bring all the players together

Its already way too late for that. They already scrapped one design and put off release, and now you want them to scrap another?

That also doesn't mean they can't come out with a second Star Wars game later. I don't see why they need to be limited to either just one or the other, or some hideous hybrid.

#3 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:10 PM

Is 2v2 not a playable format right out of the box? Sure sounds like it…

If the problem is that you want everyone to be playing the same side, I recommend drawing up a set of rules for running an Imperial (or Rebel -- whatever you want to be fighting) deck on autopilot. It shouldn't be too hard if we as a community put our heads together. It works for that other game, so why not this one?

#4 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:37 AM

I have to admit, one of my initial thoughts after reading about the pod mechanic was that perhaps there could be some way to automate one of the decks for a co-op experience. Way back earlier this year, I posted something on one of the threads around here suggesting a way of making it both PvP and co-op, and while possibly workable, I think you'd end up with cards with so much information on them, they wouldn't be pleasant to look at. I have since gone entirely the other way, and support the one-way-or-the-other mentality now, not a hybrid game. It works for Rune Age, being a scenario-driven game as that is, and as much as I love that game (I love it tremendously), I think SW deserves to be more forceful than that. 

I really don't want FFG to go back to the drawing board again, though. It's already been a year, and we still have another few months before we finally get this game in our hands (with a bit of luck and a following wind), to risk them delaying the release again is just too onerous for words!

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#5 yagyu

yagyu

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:41 AM

it sucks they scrapped the co op, I was really looking forward to solo play and 4 player play. The pvp has been done to death in the other 4 star wars card games that have been out (2 by decipher, 1 by wizards, and 1 by the galaxies game, more if u include the clone wars mmo). But yeah it seems the pvp 2 player system is fated. Hopefully ffg will come out with an additional card game and make it coop perhaps in the clone wars era since this one is going the rebellion era.

#6 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:59 AM

yagyu said:

Hopefully ffg will come out with an additional card game and make it coop perhaps in the clone wars era since this one is going the rebellion era.

So far all of their products have been grounded in the Rebellion era. Not that I see it as a bad thing for them to branch out eventually, but I urge anyone and everyone against expecting this, especially not this early on in the lifespan of FFG's license. That way, if it never happens you won't be disappointed by a perceived failure of FFG to deliver on a promise they never made, and if it does happen you'll be thrilled.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS