• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 richsabre

richsabre

Moby the Goldfish

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:01 AM

so my pack is on its way- ive seen alot about no.1, but how hard is 2 and 3? what are we comparing it to here? (as i know theyve done away with the levels)

thanks

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#2 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 766 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:35 AM

richsabre said:

so my pack is on its way- ive seen alot about no.1, but how hard is 2 and 3? what are we comparing it to here? (as i know theyve done away with the levels)

thanks

rich

Urgh, mine's at the sorting office as I type, can't pick it up until tomorrow. I am in agonies!!! 

Just thought I'd share this with everyone :)

All art is quite useless

#3 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:43 AM

2 is quite difficult as well.  its basically split into two parts; the first part pits you against strong mountain giants and devastating treacherys while the second part just throws a ton of enemies at you.  To compare it to a previous quest i suppose its similar to Journey down the Anduin but it doesnt feel redundant at all.  I havent attempted the third yet

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#4 richsabre

richsabre

Moby the Goldfish

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:00 AM

spalanzani said:

richsabre said:

thanks

rich

Urgh, mine's at the sorting office as I type, can't pick it up until tomorrow. I am in agonies!!! 

Just thought I'd share this with everyone :)

mine wont get here till monday now….damn you 2nd class post!!!

#5 Shockeffect

Shockeffect

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:22 AM

Our group (playing 3 player) has gone through quest two really easily.  However, the third quest is very fun as you are answering riddles and bilbo in a way quests seperatly from the main party for a while, and then you meat up at the end.  It is actually my favorite quest that ffg has put out, other than FoS.

#6 John85

John85

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:24 AM

Shockeffect said:

Our group (playing 3 player) has gone through quest two really easily.  However, the third quest is very fun as you are answering riddles and bilbo in a way quests seperatly from the main party for a while, and then you meat up at the end.  It is actually my favorite quest that ffg has put out, other than FoS.

I know this is probably just a typo, but your homophonic slip of "meat up" gave me a particularly satisfying image, especially given that it is a Friday.

#7 Shockeffect

Shockeffect

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:52 AM

And yes it was a typo

#8 benhanses

benhanses

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:45 AM

Rich, since I know you pretty much solo exclusively, I can say that having just got mine, the first two are fun, but relatively easy. 

The first one does have the 4 trolls you have to contend with, but you're really trying to accomplish two things there… Win the encounter, BUT do so in a way that lets you "meat" (sorry, Shockeffect) the objectives for "discovering" the treasures as well.  The hardest part is using the encounter deck wisely if you are trying to win the treasure (yup. I said encounter deck).  There are a couple key locations you actually want to keep around.  The Troll Camp is a double-edged sword… it gives all the trolls extra threat in the staging area… BUT also lets Bilbo use resources to discard the "sacked" cards the trolls drop on your heros/allies just for engaging.  The other key location is (forget the name) one that recycles the encounter discard pile back into the encounter deck.  Usually not a good thing, but since you have to have the Troll Key objective card on Bilbo in order to travel to the Troll Cave (and have to have the Troll Cave in your victory display to discover the treasures as a win effect), it can be important to get the Troll Key and Troll Purse back into the deck if they somehow end up discarded.

The second encounter was actually pretty easy as a solo palyer (althouugh I'm sure I had fortunate draws).  It is split into 2 encounter decks.  There are three sites, but the first quest site is purely set up and moves you directly to the second quest site (the Stone Giants) and its deck.  The third site, you discard all previous encounter cards (the stone giant sets) and replace with the second encounter deck (centered around The Great Goblin).  He basically just churns out a Goblin horde to try and overrun you….

I ran with a Elrond, Frodo, and Imrahil deck (I know, I know… horrible for theme - it's what I had built, wanted to just see what it played like).  I am immediately starting work on a Dwarven deck (to redeem my theme-offense) that can run through these!  I enjoyed the uniqueness of the first two encounters.  Look forward to the third!

"... but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend...."       -Faramir, The Lord of the Rings, Book IV, The Window of the West)

"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage."     - C.S. Lewis

#9 richsabre

richsabre

Moby the Goldfish

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:48 AM

cheers for that - i look forward to tackling it myself!

rich

#10 Memetix

Memetix

• Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

For Solo play I'd say

Quest 1: DR 6

Quest 2: DR 4

Quest 3: DR 7

#11 Zalrus9

Zalrus9

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:19 PM

Don't know about the first one, but I'd say No. 2 is very hard unless you have a deck that's good in combat or has low threat. The first part is easy enough, but the second part… So many goblins…

#12 Arma virumque

Arma virumque

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:55 AM

For those who have given an opinion on the difficulty, are you playing with decks that use the full card pool released to date?  How challenging would this be as an expansion for somebody who only owned the core set, for example, or maybe the core plus deluxe expansions but not the chapter packs?

#13 richsabre

richsabre

Moby the Goldfish

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:57 AM

if you only own the core set it would be incredibly difficult

rich

#14 benhanses

benhanses

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:19 AM

richsabre said:

rich

Without a doubt.

Edit:  I know they do include those "Core only + Hobbit expansion" decks on the back of the rulebook.  I didn't even bother with them.  A friend of mine played with those, and confirmed my suspicion that they weren't the greatest decks to play… but good for theme.  However, since the third quest (the riddle part anyways) will probably be easiest with minimal=sphere decks, perhaps those suggested decks would serve as a decent base for completing the third quest.

"... but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend...."       -Faramir, The Lord of the Rings, Book IV, The Window of the West)

"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage."     - C.S. Lewis

#15 Arma virumque

Arma virumque

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:48 AM

richsabre said:

rich

That confirms what I suspected.

It's too bad, really, because this is a game I could happily play on occasion, and I would enjoy some variety, but it didn't make my list of must-buy-everything-that-comes-out games.

#16 richsabre

richsabre

Moby the Goldfish

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:49 AM

Arma virumque said:

richsabre said:

rich

That confirms what I suspected.

It's too bad, really, because this is a game I could happily play on occasion, and I would enjoy some variety, but it didn't make my list of must-buy-everything-that-comes-out games.

yes- it is unfortunate (though perhaps inevitable) for you that you will find it increasingly difficult to play future quests without at least a complete cycle or two

rich

#17 Ted Sandyman

Ted Sandyman

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:55 AM

I have been thoroughly enthralled by the Hobbit this last week . Quests 1 and 2 are hard but manageable solo, winning some, losing some but jeez is that 3rd quest a *****!!! Havent got near to beating it yet as a mix of bad riddle guesses getting Bilbo killed and swamped by that extra encounter card each round is finishing me off. Im playing with a dwarf themed deck which is maybe limiting my card choice so sadly i will have to look beyond the Hobbit storyline for the cards i need to swap into my new deck. Any thoughts on beating quest 3 consistently? Anyway im loving the 3 quests so much. Cheers

#18 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:01 AM

Quest 2 is boring as hell. Nothing happens, and the boss enemy is a joke. Played the third quest once and I'm not too happy about that riddle zone stuff. Too complicated, too luck dependent. Feels more like a lottery. Also, there are not enough card with riddle effects. I only got one each second round and managed to solve tow of the three riddlies with one point each. That way I need at least 18 rounds to get through the riddle phase! It also feels rather absurd that I have to use half of my deck to solve these riddles.

All in all I think this expansion wasn't worth the money. Hopefully the Gondor expansion will be better.

#19 richsabre

richsabre

Moby the Goldfish

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:13 AM

leptokurt said:

Quest 2 is boring as hell. Nothing happens, and the boss enemy is a joke. Played the third quest once and I'm not too happy about that riddle zone stuff. Too complicated, too luck dependent. Feels more like a lottery. Also, there are not enough card with riddle effects. I only got one each second round and managed to solve tow of the three riddlies with one point each. That way I need at least 18 rounds to get through the riddle phase! It also feels rather absurd that I have to use half of my deck to solve these riddles.

All in all I think this expansion wasn't worth the money. Hopefully the Gondor expansion will be better.

i agree to an extent here, though i have really enjoyed the overall feel of the pack, and the player cards were very nice

the obvious star is the first quest- lots of great ideas and art, the others could have been more entralling that is for sure. i like the riddle idea on paper, however in that quest its been rather annoying (probably because i cant win)

i think the smaug duel may be something like it

i think you shall be happy with numenor though- im pretty sure it will be the opposite of the hobbit, mainly centered around fighting and sieges (schmoo shall be happy.)

rich

#20 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:30 AM

First quest is really nothing interesting.

Yesterday we have chance to play by 3 players second quest. Really cool! we play 3 times and we lost every time. The encounter deck is really powerful and even with very strong player decks we cannot win! Really cool game session take about 6 hours.

last quest is quite difficult solo but by 3 players is really easy and boring.

I love Hobbit cose is bring you new kind of challenge but of course sure HON will be much better. I dont really like Hobbit book story………

Wizard is never late.......

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS