Pilots

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Seblys

Seblys

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:42 AM

I'm a bit confused about the Pilots rule.

I know Koshka is the only hero who can pilot grandma, the unit page makes that pretty clear.

But some of the other heroes say they are pilots and can pilot a vehicle other than aircraft. Does that mean they can just jump in any land based vehicle and pilot it or does the vehicle have to say it's pilotable? (which none do other than grandma)

Cheers

#2 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:29 AM

Grand'ma lists heroic pilot: Koshka to tell you that only Koshka can pilot her.Just like Koshka says Pilot: Grand'ma meaning she can only pilot Grand'ma.. When it says Pilot: Vehicle (not aircraft) it means they can be the pilot of any vehicle as long as its not an aircraft…. so they can jump in a KV-47 walker but not the Grand'ma KV-47 because that specifically states only Koshka may pilot her.

#3 Warboss Krag

Warboss Krag

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:35 AM

The SSU has more heroes in vehicles coming. The rule plans for the future.

#4 Seblys

Seblys

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:19 PM

But at the moment any hero who has the ability pilot (not aircraft) could jump in any of the walkers and take them for a spin?

Also, does a hero that is piloting a mech count as one or two units for rolling for command points in the initative phase?

#5 Shadow4ce

Shadow4ce

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:08 AM

Seblys said:

But at the moment any hero who has the ability pilot (not aircraft) could jump in any of the walkers and take them for a spin?

Also, does a hero that is piloting a mech count as one or two units for rolling for command points in the initative phase?

1. Correct. As long as it's not, "Hero Specific" like Gran'Ma and Red Cossack. 
  2. One unit. 

#6 Major Malfunction

Major Malfunction

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:24 AM

Shadow4ce said:

1. One unit. 

Don't troops riding in a transport vehicle count if the vehicle is on the table? I'm curious about the reason for this answer… are you viewing the hero piloting the vehicle as "joining" the unit?

#7 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:02 AM

Yeah, I also would have thought that the pilot and the walker count as a unit each.  Unless there's a rule somewhere that I missed, it seems to me that they would be two units, since the piloting rules are the same as passenger rules, except for the pilot special abilities.

#8 Primarch

Primarch

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:07 AM

Example;

Red Yana

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Fighting Spirit - Pilot

Is that only usable while piloting a vehicle, or can she and a unit she has joined use it?

Thanks

#9 Dakkon426

Dakkon426

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:51 AM

Pilot after an ability means it can be used by the piloted vehicle, otherwise it doesn't carry over to the vehicle. Also pilot doesn't prevent its use outside of a vehicle.

#10 simpatikool

simpatikool

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:44 AM

I can't figure out what is so great about Pilot. Your Hero jumps in a walker and can pilot it. What benefit is gained. Your Hero can't do anything now but sit in a walker? I definetly am missing something

#11 Major Malfunction

Major Malfunction

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:05 AM

simpatikool said:

I can't figure out what is so great about Pilot. Your Hero jumps in a walker and can pilot it. What benefit is gained. Your Hero can't do anything now but sit in a walker? I definetly am missing something.

Several benefits:

1. The Hero is pretty much immune to small arms fire.

2. The Hero conveys their special ability to the vehicle aka Nikolai and "Pilot: Take Aim"

3. The Hero can get out of the vehicle if needed.

4. The Hero still counts as a separate unit for Orders and scoring purposes.

To a large degree how this helps you depends on you understanding the effects and taking advantage of them:

#12 simpatikool

simpatikool

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:17 AM

Hey Thank you. I kept reading the Pilot special rule and feeling like I was missing something. I "expect" a piloted vehicle to perform better for instance.

The Vehicle only really benefits is a Pilot has a special ability that is shared, otherwise, not so much.

#13 Lynx7725

Lynx7725

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

Since this is a pilot-related thread, I might as well consolidate and ask.

Ok, so, I can have Red Yana in a Natasha (nasty as heck first strike ability btw. All-in-One Fighting Spirit with Grenade Weaponry FTW, crapped two V4 Walkers in two separate games, quite reliable). That much is clear.

What happens if/ when Red Yana decide to take a stroll outside the Nasty? E.g., Turn starts. Orders, Red Yana got ordered out of her Natasha. Unit Activation Phase -- Natasha and Red Yana activates separately?

Advance AI routine on the (Empty and Pilotless) Natasha?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS