Star Wars RPG beta

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:55 AM

i know this is the wrong forum, but waaaayy back when this forum first opened we were batting around talk of the RPG - and apparently the beta version was available @ Gencon! One of my co-workers scored one. I didn't know it was even on the radar yet - which is why I considered it of sufficient interest to post here. Myself, I was quite surprised.

Huh!

#2 Manchu

Manchu

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:59 AM

It will also be interesting to see whether/how the games relate.  I heard a rumor that the ships available to PCs straight out of the core book are the YT-1300 and Firespray-31.  Coincidence?

#3 SteveSpikes

SteveSpikes

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:38 AM

The RPG, Edge of the Empire, is an OPEN BETA.  I believe it is due out in September, along with "everything else".  So don't worry about being shut out.  FFG only  asks us to provide feedback via Edge of the Empire forums.

Good luck, and have fun.

#4 Manchu

Manchu

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:55 AM

The beta is actually on sale now from the FFG shop.  I was notified yesterday or the day before that my copy would be arriving in about three days.  You can bet I will be scrutinizing it for any hint of miniatures usage.

#5 R2D2

R2D2

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:35 PM

Im not sure I understand what an "open beta" is?

FFG want us to pay to beta test a game for them?

#6 tiepilot1138

tiepilot1138

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:23 AM

R2D2 said:

Im not sure I understand what an "open beta" is?

FFG want us to pay to beta test a game for them?

That's exactly right.  If I remember correctly (at least with PC games) closed betas only allow so many people in to playtest.  Open allow everyone.  I won't pay for a beta product unless part of that payment is the completed product.  This seems like you're going to have to buy another book when the beta is over.

#7 Manchu

Manchu

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:21 AM

It's open in the sense that anyone can participate by purchasing the book.  Also, it's kind of silly to view the transaction as you paying FFG to playtest their game.  For the money, you get nearly 250 full color pages of complete rules (complete as in "everything you need to play" not as in "finished") including a starting adventure.  If none of that seems valuable to you, then simply don't buy it.  There's no reason to dog the company for giving people who do see value in that the option to start playing before launch.  Sorry to come off as a little stringent on this but there are plenty of Negative Nancys hashing this out over in the EotE forum if you want to join their mournful cavalcade.  There's really no reason for this thread to be here unless we're using it to talk about possible connections between X-Wing and EotE.  Plus the X-Wing forum is generally a happy place.  Be nice to keep it that way.

#8 R2D2

R2D2

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:43 AM

Manchu said:

It's open in the sense that anyone can participate by purchasing the book.  Also, it's kind of silly to view the transaction as you paying FFG to playtest their game.  For the money, you get nearly 250 full color pages of complete rules (complete as in "everything you need to play" not as in "finished") including a starting adventure.  If none of that seems valuable to you, then simply don't buy it.  There's no reason to dog the company for giving people who do see value in that the option to start playing before launch.  Sorry to come off as a little stringent on this but there are plenty of Negative Nancys hashing this out over in the EotE forum if you want to join their mournful cavalcade.  There's really no reason for this thread to be here unless we're using it to talk about possible connections between X-Wing and EotE.  Plus the X-Wing forum is generally a happy place.  Be nice to keep it that way.

I wasnt disparaging ffg, I was just unclear on what it meant…. I would guess that if I bought it and then found that the finished version was quite different, then it would be a bit annoying, but I do see the value in it for both the player and for FFG.

Happier now im being a Positive Pedro? :)

#9 Manchu

Manchu

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:46 AM

This is the X-Wing forum.  Let's all just be Weasonable Wedges.

#10 DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:51 AM

Manchu said:

Manchu said:

… Plus the X-Wing forum is generally a happy place.  Be nice to keep it that way.

This is supposed to be a happy occasion.  Lets not bicker and argue over who killed who.

I don't see a correlation between X-Wing and the RPG as X-wing as a mini wargame will have abstracted much of what you'd want spelled out more in an RPG setting.  But as playing pieces to represent an on going space battle, the little ships sure beat using dice or paper chits.  "This red die is a star destroyer and the yellow dice are TIE's."

I played a lot of D6 Star Wars back in the day, but was not happy when it went D20.  I haven't checked out any of FFG's RPG's to know what to expect from them, but I will be keeping my eye on things.  You have no idea how happy I am that FFG is sticking with the Empire/Rebellion era of the SW Universe.  And i like the way they're spliting things up, the first installment being the fringe types, the second being the rebels and more coreward types and finally the jedi/force users.  Bounty Hunters and smugglers, Rebels and senators, jedi and sith.  I hope they do it justice.

Paying for the book to be part of the beta makes sense as it's not some half finished manuscript, but a professionally published book in full color and with artwork.  I play Heavy Gear Blitz and the Dreampod 9 folks constantly run new beta test rules through the community for testing and feedback.  They provide the test rules via a free online fanzine rather than a published work as in this case, but it's the same idea.  Your fan base is your best source of feedback and gives a sense of ownership of the game to the players.  It stops being just another FFG game, it becomes Our game.  Smart move all around.

-DavicusPrime

#11 Stunami

Stunami

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:00 AM

Manchu said:

This is the X-Wing forum.  Let's all just be Weasonable Wedges.

Don't Biggs me, bro!

#12 shmitty

shmitty

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:01 AM

This list of ships was published in the RPG forums.  It's an interesting look at what might appear in x-Wing. 

• KSE Firespray
  • YT-1300
  • Ghtroc 720 Freighter
  • Other ships:
  • Skipspray Blastboat
  • Lambda class shuttle
  • TIE/LN
  • Y-Wing
  • Z-95
  • Action VI bulk transport
  • YT-2400 Light Freighter
  • Mobquet Medium Transport
  • CR90 Corvette
  • Nebulon-B

#13 Manchu

Manchu

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:29 AM

I think we can count out:

• CR90 Corvette
  • Nebulon-B

#14 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:39 AM

For those interested, Noble Knight Games has some Betas for $24.95  and I picked one up. That'll be fun!

WHY am I posting this here?

1. These are the folks I'm used to communicating with

2. I don't actually have anything constructive to say on the Beta boards until I GET the thing

3. Some of the posters there are kinda obnoxious. I could do without a replay of WotC forums.

So anyway, if you are sorry you missed the chance to get involved with the Edge of the Empire beta, here ya go. Cheers!

#15 Viceroy Bolda

Viceroy Bolda

• Members
  • 847 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:02 PM

I think we can count out:

• CR90 Corvette
  • Nebulon-B

Oops.  I

• JCDisaray likes this

Bulldog

"What's 'e going to do?  Nibble my bum?"

#16 Eruletho

Eruletho

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:27 AM

That's a hell of a necromancy post there, Bolda... that post was OVER a year ago!

#17 Viceroy Bolda

Viceroy Bolda

• Members
  • 847 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:09 AM

That's a hell of a necromancy post there, Bolda... that post was OVER a year ago!

The interwebs is eternal.  It made me chuckle.  

Bulldog

"What's 'e going to do?  Nibble my bum?"

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS