Are CSM immune to fear?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Khaldun Kek

Khaldun Kek

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:13 AM

After GMing a DW game since it came out, I am finally getting a chance to play!!!

We will begining our BC game soon and I plan to play a CSM. 

My question is pretty straight forward.

Are CSM's immune to fear like SMs in Deathwatch? If so, please site source (page, paragraph, etc). If not, well… damn. 

#2 Librarian

Librarian

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:01 AM

no they are not, but they and all other heritics are more resistant to fear see the chart on page 277. also note that  all chaos space marines start with nerves of steel so they have all the requirements needed to buy fearless which is a tier 3 nurgle aligned talent, so for 400-1000 xp dependent on alignment they can take the fearless talent, though unlike in some of the past games its not 100% positive it makes it harder to run away if needed.

#3 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:21 AM

jaded will eliminate most fear

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody!

#4 PnPgamer

PnPgamer

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:13 AM

HappyDaze said:

jaded will eliminate most fear

This statement is subject to the content of the campaign, as some contain more or less things that jaded makes you immune to.

#5 Boss Gitsmasha

Boss Gitsmasha

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:49 AM

Chaos Space Marines are not immune to fear because they are filthy traitors who do not accept the words of their Spiritual Liege, Roboute Guilliman, as penned in the Codex Astartes.

(I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.)

"Oomans are pink an' soft, not tough an' green like da Boyz. Dey'z all da same size too, so dey'z always arguin' about who's in charge, 'cos dere's no way o' tellin' c'ept fer badges an' ooniforms an' fings. When one o' dem wants ta lord it over da uvvers, 'e says 'I'm very speshul so'z you gotta worship me', or 'I know summink wot you lot don't know, so yer better lissen good'. Da funny fing is, 'arf of 'em believe it an' da uvver 'arf don't, so 'e has ta hit 'em all anyway or run fer it. Wot a lot o' mukkin' about if yer asks me. An' while dey'z all arguin' wiv each uvver over who's da boss, da Orks can clobber da lot."

#6 Deinos

Deinos

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:22 PM

Anyone who's played a Librarian in Deathwatch probably feels that space marines aren't immune to fear. For one thing, it makes all your powers start sucking terribly.

I couldn't resist either.

I am amused that human heretics seem more likely to be jaded than chaos marines. The default take on chaos marines seems to imply they're the most jaded, bitter people in the universe.

#7 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:05 PM

Deinos said:

Anyone who's played a Librarian in Deathwatch probably feels that space marines aren't immune to fear. For one thing, it makes all your powers start sucking terribly.

The WP Test penalty from Fear in DW doesn't apply to Focus Tests.

#8 BrotharTearer

BrotharTearer

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:37 PM

bogi_khaosa said:

Deinos said:

The WP Test penalty from Fear in DW doesn't apply to Focus Tests.

Yes it does. Until you quote me the rules which say it doesn't.

#9 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:44 PM

BrotharTearer said:

Yes it does. Until you quote me the rules which say it doesn't.

"The penalty to Willpower Tests does not affect Focus Powers Tests." Deathwatch Errata, pg. 6.

#10 AlphariusOmegon7

AlphariusOmegon7

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:56 AM

Well that's some silly errata.  Makes Librarians even more OP all the time.  Ah well.  

#11 Face Eater

Face Eater

• Members
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:11 AM

AlphariusOmegon7 said:

Well that's some silly errata.  Makes Librarians even more OP all the time.  Ah well.  

I never used it, it seemed silly to add that failed fear tests reduced your willpower except in the one circumstance that you would actually use the stat (oh except for the one small chance of resisting a psychic effect).

#12 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:51 AM

Face Eater said:

I never used it, it seemed silly to add that failed fear tests reduced your willpower except in the one circumstance that you would actually use the stat (oh except for the one small chance of resisting a psychic effect).

Willpower is used for Pinning tests and resisting Cohesion Damage.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS