Please add option for automatic symbol cancelling

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Venthrac

Venthrac

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:18 AM

I'd like to request a feature for this app that I think will improve its utility greatly.

When rolling dice for the Edge of the Empire game, by default, some symbols cancel out other symbols (failures cancel successes, for example). Rather than make the player eyeball this as they would have to with normal dice, why not take advantage of the technology and have the app handle all the symbol cancelling automatically? Ideally this would be an option that players could disable if they didn't want it.

Thus, the app would roll the dice for you, cancel all the symbols that cancel and then have a box somewhere on the screen that would display the remaining symbols after cancellation.

For example, if my dice show a total result of four successes. three failures, two advantages, one disadvantage and one despair, the app would display a final symbol pool of one success, one advantage and one despair.

Heck, it could even make happy Artoo noises if the net result is a success and sad Artoo noises if it's a failure.

Just a thought.

#2 KjetilKverndokken

KjetilKverndokken

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:15 AM

Venthrac said:

I'd like to request a feature for this app that I think will improve its utility greatly.

When rolling dice for the Edge of the Empire game, by default, some symbols cancel out other symbols (failures cancel successes, for example). Rather than make the player eyeball this as they would have to with normal dice, why not take advantage of the technology and have the app handle all the symbol cancelling automatically? Ideally this would be an option that players could disable if they didn't want it.

Thus, the app would roll the dice for you, cancel all the symbols that cancel and then have a box somewhere on the screen that would display the remaining symbols after cancellation.

For example, if my dice show a total result of four successes. three failures, two advantages, one disadvantage and one despair, the app would display a final symbol pool of one success, one advantage and one despair.

Heck, it could even make happy Artoo noises if the net result is a success and sad Artoo noises if it's a failure.

Just a thought.

Yes, if the App kind of do the calculations for you it would be nice ^^

#3 BrashFink

BrashFink

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:53 PM

Or even a way to put marks on the ones you are cancelling out.

#4 NathanPButler

NathanPButler

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:42 PM

In theory, though, if you have ones canceling out, can't you just highlight those and delete them, so that they vanish from the scenario? 

Or does that botch something else in the gaming process? I'm only through the beginning of the Character Creation chapter of the beta right now.

#5 BrashFink

BrashFink

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:54 PM

Well some dice might one two symbols showing… one that is canceled out, the other still being valid.

#6 KommissarK

KommissarK

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:58 AM

Or, more simply, could the app total up the amount of each symbol at the bottom? Canceling certainly would be nice, but there's no guarantee that canceling is the goal. Just adding up the amount of Successes, Failures, Threats, Advantages, Triumphs, Despairs, Light Side pips, and Dark Side pips would go along way to making this program significantly more usable.

I easily could see a small bar at the bottom of the screen displaying the symbol with a total count of associated rolls next to it.

#7 KnightFysher

KnightFysher

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:34 AM

KommissarK said:

Or, more simply, could the app total up the amount of each symbol at the bottom? Canceling certainly would be nice, but there's no guarantee that canceling is the goal. Just adding up the amount of Successes, Failures, Threats, Advantages, Triumphs, Despairs, Light Side pips, and Dark Side pips would go along way to making this program significantly more usable.

I easily could see a small bar at the bottom of the screen displaying the symbol with a total count of associated rolls next to it.

This is closer to what I'd want as well. I want to be see the original roll + tallies + results (if I asked). Maybe the results could be part of the "wheel" menu. 

#8 BrashFink

BrashFink

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:01 PM

Yes… this would be actually even sweeter. you get a quick result… but can reference the roll too.

#9 Venthrac

Venthrac

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:17 AM

All good suggestions. Dicenomicon, for example, rolls all the dice and also displays the total on the screen.

#10 drkjedi35

drkjedi35

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:42 AM

Honestly, I think the calculations are easy enough without needing the app to do it for you.  But I guess it could be an added benefit to spending $4.99 for it.  What I would like to see is a head to head option, where I could sit my phone on the table and have the screen split in half (my side and my opponents side).  I click to roll my attack die, and then he can roll his defense die.  In X-wing, that would alleviate the need of either of us using actual die altogether.

Roy

#11 OB-1

OB-1

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:52 PM

The option to automatic symbol cancelling as well as one to display the total amount of each symbol rolled would go a long way to make this app really stellar and valuable beyond its obvious initial purpose.

"General Kenobi: Years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars (...)"

#12 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:54 PM

I think the cancelling would be easy enough with just the totals presented at the bottom of the screen.

After all, once you've identified which symbols you have, the math involved is pretty straight-forward.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#13 RonRamron

RonRamron

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:07 PM

I'm all for this. Would make for ultra fast gameplay.

#14 Locrious

Locrious

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:34 AM

They really should add a Totalling/Canceling function to the app. I hate having to manually re-roll dice when only 1 symbol is canceled from a multi-symboled face (example: Boost die showing ADVANTAGE symbol, Difficulty die showing FAILURE/THREAT symbols).

There is no way for the app to remove the "canceled-out" THREAT symbol (in this example)  other than to select the die and randomly re-roll it until the desired face appears. It can get quite tedious and downright annoying after a while IMO. Having a way to tally the result or change a die face (after rolling) would really be great.

#15 FuriousGreg

FuriousGreg

• Members
  • 559 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:17 AM

I agree this is almost a must have feature, I even sent an email which I advise doing to all that agree as well as leaving a review on iTunes or wherever you got the app, nothing angry it's a pretty good app as it is, just would be a lot better if it could do this canceling. It may help in them adding the feature. Anyway I sent an email and here is part of their response:

"There was a business and technical call to make the dice app as rule agnostic as possible in order to reduce the amount of upkeep and maintenance on it the dice roller if tabulation rules would change in the future. We still feel that this dice roller provides a value to quickly provide a sum of the die results."

Basically, and I say this with respect to the hard work they've put in and that it is an okay app, they can do it but won't because they say it's not cost effective. Considering that the WHFRP Tool app also lacks this feature and probably for the same reason provided and it's tabulation rules have not changed since the game came out nearly five years ago I call foul. SWEotE has gone through some pretty extensive testing and it's basically the same system as WHFRP3, so if the core die roll system of the game has made it to print it's unlikely to change either.

Anyway politely let them know, not just in the forums, that you'd like to see this feature and maybe we'll get it.

Watch these now. Really, right now. (Oh, there's some naughty language but we're all adults :D here)
http://redlettermedi...phantom-menace/

http://redlettermedi...-of-the-clones/

http://redlettermedi...ge-of-the-sith/

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS