Jump to content



Photo

Equipment Feedback Thread


  • Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#1 FFG_Sam Stewart

FFG_Sam Stewart

    Member

  • Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:13 PM

Hello Testers,

This thread is stickied for the purpose of posting feedback and comments concerning the equipment mechanics. Thanks, everyone!

 



#2 Venthrac

Venthrac

    Member

  • Members
  • 902 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:14 AM

I'm confused about the cost to activate a weapon quality. There seems to be conflicting information in the text, unless I am misunderstanding it.

Pg 105
Weapon Qualities, 2nd paragraph, 2nd sentence

"Active qualities must be triggered by the user, often by spending [Adv] to activate the effect."

Pg 105
Weapon Qualities, 3rd paragraph, 3rd sentence

"Qualities require [Adv][Adv] to activate unless otherwise stated in their description."

So does it normally cost 1 Advantage symbol to activate a quality, or 2?



#3 dirklancer

dirklancer

    Member

  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:54 AM

 I don't know if I am missing it, but in the section on Encumbrance on page 103, it mentions that armor's value is treated differently when worn. But I can't seem to find the place where it details the difference. 



#4 Inksplat

Inksplat

    Member

  • Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:44 AM

Venthrac said:

I'm confused about the cost to activate a weapon quality. There seems to be conflicting information in the text, unless I am misunderstanding it.

Pg 105
Weapon Qualities, 2nd paragraph, 2nd sentence

"Active qualities must be triggered by the user, often by spending [Adv] to activate the effect."

Pg 105
Weapon Qualities, 3rd paragraph, 3rd sentence

"Qualities require [Adv][Adv] to activate unless otherwise stated in their description."

So does it normally cost 1 Advantage symbol to activate a quality, or 2?

It almost reads like the first reference simply to the type of resource, and then the second is the actual cost. But I agree that it could use some tweaking for clarification.



#5 Venthrac

Venthrac

    Member

  • Members
  • 902 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:26 AM

 I think you have it exactly right, Ink. I re-read it later and when viewed that way, it makes perfect sense. It's not always easy to know when a single instance of the Advantage icon is intended to mean the general resource, or a literal cost of exact of exactly 1 Advantage.



#6 LukeZZ

LukeZZ

    Member

  • Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:26 PM

The Defensive quality requires a maneuver to activate.

This means that it will render talents like Improved Side Step pratically useless (there are already very few options to increase defense).

Maybe it could be activated with 2 Advantages (like other qualities) OR 1 Maneuver.



#7 cetiken

cetiken

    Member

  • Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:06 AM

 Two advantages can also generate an second maneuver IIRC.  This does sort of allow a player to activeae it when that is an option but also lets them give up their initial maneuver to be sure that its active.



#8 LukeZZ

LukeZZ

    Member

  • Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:35 AM

cetiken said:

 

 Two advantages can also generate an second maneuver IIRC.  This does sort of allow a player to activeae it when that is an option but also lets them give up their initial maneuver to be sure that its active.

 

 

Yes, but this manuevers too counts against the "no more than 2 maneuvers during your turn" rule.

So if I use Improved Side Step (or similar), I won't be able to use the Deflect quality of a weapon.



#9 cetiken

cetiken

    Member

  • Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:24 AM

LukeZZ said:

Yes, but this manuevers too counts against the "no more than 2 maneuvers during your turn" rule.

So if I use Improved Side Step (or similar), I won't be able to use the Deflect quality of a weapon.

As promised I did some more Dice Math relevant to this discussion.



#10 OB-1

OB-1

    Member

  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:52 PM

 

 

Beta Star Wars EotE, page 125, Talent Forearm Grip: 

Modification Options: Innate Talent (Snap Shot)

 

 

Apparently there is no such thing as a "Snap Shot" Talent.

I couldn't find one. Maybe its an artifact from an early iteration of the ruleset?


"General Kenobi: Years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars (...)"

#11 OB-1

OB-1

    Member

  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:55 AM

OB-1 said:

Beta Star Wars EotE, page 125, Talent Forearm Grip: 

Modification Options: Innate Talent (Snap Shot)

 

 

Apparently there is no such thing as a "Snap Shot" Talent.

I couldn't find one. Maybe its an artifact from an early iteration of the ruleset?

 

I found that Snapshot is instead a weapon quality (page 107).

So instead of "Innate Talent (Snap Shot) Mod" the text in page 125 should read "Weapon Quality (Snapshot) Mod".


"General Kenobi: Years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars (...)"

#12 OB-1

OB-1

    Member

  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:15 AM

 

Star Wars Beta: EotE, Page 115, Table 5-8 Gear: 

Bacta (liter) cost: 20 Enc: 1 Rarity:1

Bacta (full tank) cost: 4.000 Enc:12 Rarity:1


 

 

How many liters a bacta full tank holds, how much is spent in each use/month and how much is the maintenance costs of a bacta tank?

I know some player groups will want one of these things in their ship.


"General Kenobi: Years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars (...)"

#13 Venthrac

Venthrac

    Member

  • Members
  • 902 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:18 AM

Hey OB-1. you should put these comments in the proofreading forums as well. That's the place to report errors in the text.



#14 redocelot

redocelot

    Member

  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:00 AM

I find Jetpacks to be a bit confusing w/ regard to how (or if) they affect combat.  Do they even get used in combat? If so, do they use the vehicle combat rules and maneuver options? Do they use planetary range band measurement?  Are they just for non-combat related travel and exploration?

Maybe I'm missing something or just not familiar enough with the vehicle rules.

 



#15 OB-1

OB-1

    Member

  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:41 PM

Venthrac said:

 

Hey OB-1. you should put these comments in the proofreading forums as well. That's the place to report errors in the text.

 

 

Venthrac,

That same observation is there in the proofreading forum already, as I later found out.

Nevertheless, I've found useful to put it in here too, as it directly answered the question posed in my previous post.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up.


"General Kenobi: Years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars (...)"

#16 SergeantVau

SergeantVau

    Member

  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:51 PM

For the knockdown quality (pg 106), it doesn't specify what the rating does. I'm assuming it's the number of rounds it applies, but it doesn't explicitly state that anywhere.



#17 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

    Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

  • Members
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:10 PM

SergeantVau said:

For the knockdown quality (pg 106), it doesn't specify what the rating does. I'm assuming it's the number of rounds it applies, but it doesn't explicitly state that anywhere.

I'm inclined to think that the numerical value is how many points of Advantage need to be spent to activate that quality, as given in the description citing "unless it says otherwise, costs two Advantage to activate this quality," but the only two weapons that have the Knockdown quality (bowcasters and bolas/nets) both list "Knockdown 3," so they're not much help.

I agree, this could use some clarification.


Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"


#18 Inksplat

Inksplat

    Member

  • Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:14 PM

Donovan Morningfire said:

SergeantVau said:

 

For the knockdown quality (pg 106), it doesn't specify what the rating does. I'm assuming it's the number of rounds it applies, but it doesn't explicitly state that anywhere.

 

 

I'm inclined to think that the numerical value is how many points of Advantage need to be spent to activate that quality, as given in the description citing "unless it says otherwise, costs two Advantage to activate this quality," but the only two weapons that have the Knockdown quality (bowcasters and bolas/nets) both list "Knockdown 3," so they're not much help.

I agree, this could use some clarification.

+1 to the explanation and agreement on clarification.

Though, Unarmed Attacks have the Knockdown quality, and I don't think it has anything after it? Just Knockdown? I can't check my book just this second though.



#19 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

    Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

  • Members
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:19 PM

Inksplat said:

+1 to the explanation and agreement on clarification.

Though, Unarmed Attacks have the Knockdown quality, and I don't think it has anything after it? Just Knockdown? I can't check my book just this second though.

Just checked the description on page 137, and it just says unarmed attacks have the Knockdown quality, with no number given.

Seems kinda odd that a weapon (bolas and nets) that are largely intended to take someone to the ground have a harder time doing so than just a regular punch.


Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"


#20 Inksplat

Inksplat

    Member

  • Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:25 PM

Donovan Morningfire said:

 

Inksplat said:

+1 to the explanation and agreement on clarification.

 

Though, Unarmed Attacks have the Knockdown quality, and I don't think it has anything after it? Just Knockdown? I can't check my book just this second though.

 

 

Just checked the description on page 137, and it just says unarmed attacks have the Knockdown quality, with no number given.

Seems kinda odd that a weapon (bolas and nets) that are largely intended to take someone to the ground have a harder time doing so than just a regular punch.

 

 

Well, there's the Grappling Sidebar that says Unarmed is meant to also represent grappling and wrestling as well. That, and the bowcaster + bola are ranged. Aaaand the bola has the awesome ability to completely lock someone down. So, one less advantage cost isn't too bad a tradeoff for having to get in close, i think.

Especially since its more useful to knockdown a melee threat than a ranged one anyway. Knocking down a melee opponent down means he can't advance on you. Knocking a ranged opponent down..well, he can still shoot at you just fine.

 






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS