Jump to content



Photo

[Insert a word here] Packs


  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:25 PM

We've got Adventure Packs (Lord of the Rings), Asylum Packs (Call of Cthulhu), Battle Packs (Warhammer: Invasion), Chapter Packs (A Game of Thrones), and as-yet-untitled expansions for Android: Netrunner. Now, supposing they use the existing model for Star Wars, which seems likely IMO, what should they call these expansions? When the game was first announced, the term Force Packs was mentioned. I'm not sure I like that one too much, though your mileage may vary.

What are some other names by which the monthly Star Wars expansions could be called?

So far I've only got two alternatives I like:
- Galaxy Packs
- Destiny Packs

And again, YMMV on the quality of "Force Packs" as a title for them. I just thought it'd be fun to whet our collective thirst for more updates by coming up with some possibilities.



#2 ioticus

ioticus

    Member

  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:38 PM

I don't think anything can top "force packs".

 



#3 cleardave

cleardave

    Member

  • Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:43 PM

 Force Packs seems like the most obvious choice, but adding to your list;

Conflict Packs?



#4 ianhancock1985

ianhancock1985

    Member

  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:44 PM

What about six packs?



#5 cyberfunk

cyberfunk

    Member

  • Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:39 PM

I see a lot of possibilities:

-Merchandising Packs

-It's a Pack!

-THX-Packs

-Midiclorian Packs

-Power Coupling Packs

-Powdered Blue Milk Packs

-(Tusken Raider Yell) Packs

-Porkins Packs 

-Bantha Pudu Packs

No, seriously, it's going to be Force Packs 98%. Other 1% is on Destiny.

 



#6 Scautura

Scautura

    Member

  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:11 PM

cyberfunk said:

No, seriously, it's going to be Force Packs 98%. Other 1% is on Destiny.

You missed a percentage point… What about that one, huh?

Objective Packs (Think about it…)

Pod Packs (Again, think about it…)

"I had a great idea for a name and it's just gone" Packs (because that just happened to me… Damnit!)



#7 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

    Member

  • Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:11 AM

I also think it'll be hard to top Force Packs.

I'm more concerned though with the card setup in them. I really don't want to ever have to buy two of any Force Pack, but I think FFG has learned this with their other LCGs by now.

If it sticks to 60 card packs, that could still be 4 pods that are doubled up, and 2 pods that have the 1 per deck limit. Which would be 2 normal pods and a 1 per deck pod per light side and dark side each. Which would be 36 new cards each month, 18 per side.

That seems like it would be a pretty good system.



#8 Dobbler

Dobbler

    Member

  • Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:13 AM

Mattr0polis said:

I also think it'll be hard to top Force Packs.

I'm more concerned though with the card setup in them. I really don't want to ever have to buy two of any Force Pack, but I think FFG has learned this with their other LCGs by now.

If it sticks to 60 card packs, that could still be 4 pods that are doubled up, and 2 pods that have the 1 per deck limit. Which would be 2 normal pods and a 1 per deck pod per light side and dark side each. Which would be 36 new cards each month, 18 per side.

That seems like it would be a pretty good system.

 

I would bet money that your guess is fairly spot on



#9 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

    The Uncanny One

  • Members
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:08 AM

Mattr0polis said:

I also think it'll be hard to top Force Packs.

I'm more concerned though with the card setup in them. I really don't want to ever have to buy two of any Force Pack, but I think FFG has learned this with their other LCGs by now.

If it sticks to 60 card packs, that could still be 4 pods that are doubled up, and 2 pods that have the 1 per deck limit. Which would be 2 normal pods and a 1 per deck pod per light side and dark side each. Which would be 36 new cards each month, 18 per side.

That seems like it would be a pretty good system.

This is exactly the concern I've been having recently. I think that system will work really well. And in one cycle, Each faction should get 1 one-per-deck pod. That seems nicely balanced to me.

As for names, I like Force Packs and Destiny Packs, but I think Destiny Packs would fit better if they changed the name of Edge Battles to Destiny Battles. Then the icons on the side (or edge) of the cards could be Destiny Icons. The obvious problem there is that it calls back too much to the SW:CCG. But seriously, destiny is a big part of Star Wars and they should really consider fitting it into this game.


"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku


#10 cyberfunk

cyberfunk

    Member

  • Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:35 AM

Scautura said:

cyberfunk said:

 

No, seriously, it's going to be Force Packs 98%. Other 1% is on Destiny.

 

 

You missed a percentage point… What about that one, huh?

Objective Packs (Think about it…)

Pod Packs (Again, think about it…)

"I had a great idea for a name and it's just gone" Packs (because that just happened to me… Damnit!)

LOL. I originally had a percentage point for Jedi Packs or something, then I changed my mind. Pod Packs is cute, but not going to happen. 



#11 Magnus Arcanis

Magnus Arcanis

    Member

  • Members
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:50 AM

Mission Packs?

Could be a very theme-y name.



#12 Bomb

Bomb

    Cool Person Club

  • Members
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:59 AM

Fate Packs

That is my fun guess.



#13 herozeromes

herozeromes

    Member

  • Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:16 AM

Budgernaut said:

As for names, I like Force Packs and Destiny Packs, but I think Destiny Packs would fit better if they changed the name of Edge Battles to Destiny Battles.

Yes, I think that the Edge Battle mechanic would bother me less if it had a more Star Wars-y name. In fact, a lot of the terms in the game (as presented at this point) just don't have the "right" name. I think I would feel much better about it if different rules and functions were more aptly named.



#14 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:52 AM

herozeromes said:

 

 

Yes, I think that the Edge Battle mechanic would bother me less if it had a more Star Wars-y name.

 

 

I feel the same way. When I got to the part where Corey was explaining Edge Battles, I'd thought that we'd suddenly switched to Soul Calibur, and I was made to recall the terror of Yoda, and Vader's Secret Apprentice. But I do like the mechanic behind them. They're reminiscent of L5R dueling, but without discarding random cards from your deck, and obviously they play an important role in the game regardless of your deck type.



#15 Inksplat

Inksplat

    Member

  • Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:59 PM

My money would be on Episode Packs. I mean.. come on.



#16 ImmortalJedi

ImmortalJedi

    Member

  • Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:08 AM

Might as well call them "Take My Money Packs" 



#17 spalanzani

spalanzani

    Member

  • Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:12 AM

The term 'Force Packs' has been on my mind for the past year, now, so I think it's going to be difficult to supplant that in favour of something-else packs. 


www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.





© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS