Pay for a Beta Test?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 biffer75

biffer75

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:18 AM

Who in their right minds would pay to beta test a game? That goes against the whole concept of beta testing.

Beta Test definition: A test for a product prior to commercial release. Beta testing is the last stage of testing, and normally can involve sending the product to beta testing sites outside the company for real-world exposure or offering the product for a free trial.

FFG you guys are the biggest misers I have ever encountered. Every penny you can get, rub em together. Not to mention the broken games you guys produce such as Game of Thrones 2nd edition. Cash in on the hot title with the same flawed game from 5 years ago. Its laughable. I will not be buying any more games from this company. They are out for one thing and that is MONEY.

#2 KommissarK

KommissarK

• Members
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:28 AM

As others have said, by the sheer fact that you don't have to sign an NDA, nor are you told to provide any feedback at all, this is more of an early release. You know, for those too impatient to wait for the full release, confident enough that all they need are the barebones to get started (and I imagine this version is "cheaper").

I doubt they can afford to mail out 224 page full color booklets to anyone that requested to join in, and as others have said, the license with Lucas forbids the use of PDFs.

So…

Option A: No public beta

Option B: Public beta (at cost to customer)

Insert generic "nobody is making you beta test" here.

Given that choosing not to participate in the beta (in the case Option B) is equal to Option A (for you), then, all things being the same, why does it matter if others are willing to pay to be involved in the beta? Alright, sure, maybe they are trying to make money. So is just about anyone else, even the ones who say they are not. It puts food on the table and pays the bills.

#3 Venthrac

Venthrac

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:05 AM

Feel free to join one of the other numerous and lengthy threads where this has already been discussed ad nauseum.

(EDIT: Sorry, that was needlessly snarky and hostile. It's just that, at this point, it feels like beating a dead horse. But maybe you're new to the party so you dind't know.)

#4 Ski

Ski

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:36 AM

Venthrac said:

Feel free to join one of the other numerous and lengthy threads where this has already been discussed ad nauseum.

(EDIT: Sorry, that was needlessly snarky and hostile. It's just that, at this point, it feels like beating a dead horse. But maybe you're new to the party so you dind't know.)

NO NONONON Dont apologize for that…people need to learn to read the forums before spouting off at something that has already been discussed. Yes very very much like beating a dead horse!

#5 DaemonicShaman

DaemonicShaman

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:48 AM

Despite what ffg are calling this release, the fact is that this is a commercial release.  You pay your money, you get an unfinished version of the game and you decide whether or not to provide any feedback.

As I've said in another thread, the way I view this is that we don't know when the full version of the game will be released; it's at least four months away, and possibly as far away a Gencon next year (god, I hope not). However, ffg has given those people who want to the opportunity to start playing the game now.  Personally, I'm happy that they did - I really don't think I could've weighted another year or so for what appears to be a fine game.

#6 BrashFink

BrashFink

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:38 PM

biffer75 said:

Who in their right minds would pay to beta test a game? That goes against the whole concept of beta testing.

I, BrashFink, being of sound mind and body WILL ABSOLUTELY… to play the game now? Yes.

#7 Sturn

Sturn

• Members
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:19 AM

I think this beta release is brilliant. Sorry for the late responses I only check at FFG from time to time and was alarmed to find out there is action on the new Star Wars RPG and I missed out by not visiting enough. Lucky for me I'm off today to visit my FLGS who still had 2 copies and is holding one for me.

Several reasons why I think this beta release is brilliant and should be copied:

1. Ever get an RPG that is riddled with errors? Perhaps every single RPG core manual that was ever released has errors. FAQ's and house rule fixes pop up afterwards and fans end up making pencil marks in their books. Then you end up wishing for and possibly paying for (if your wishes come true), a 2nd edition with less errors and the house ruled corrections. This fixes that.
  2. Hordes of fans are better at catching all of the little errors then a handful of editors.
  3. It's not a PDF, it's a physical manual. If a beta PDF was released, it would find itself copied across the net or sent to friends and cut down on the profit margin of the game - less success for your game and less supplements to follow.

Thank you FFG for doing this. I wish other game companies would follow.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS