Jump to content



Photo

iPhone/iPad dice app


  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Belzad

Belzad

    Member

  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:38 AM

Does any one know the name of the dice app for the Star Wars Beta or if it is out yet? I can't seem to find it in the the app store. 



#2 EldritchFire

EldritchFire

    Member

  • Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:13 AM

 It's not available yet. Apple is a bit slower/more careful/more stringent when reviewing Apps than Google, so it'll take longer for it to get approved.

In the mean time, I'm doing some mock SW dice with Dicenomicon. There are a surprising number of similar symbols for it!

-EF



#3 mindshadow2k

mindshadow2k

    Member

  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:50 PM

EldritchFire said:

 It's not available yet. Apple is a bit slower/more careful/more stringent when reviewing Apps than Google, so it'll take longer for it to get approved.

In the mean time, I'm doing some mock SW dice with Dicenomicon. There are a surprising number of similar symbols for it!

-EF

Oh man if you could explain or tell me where to get instructions for creating custom dice I would be soooo thankful. I have been trying like mad. Created custom textual and ugh I can never find my actual dice I created. I did a numerical and found it but didn't much like the results. 



#4 NathanPButler

NathanPButler

    Member

  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:56 PM

I also followed EldritchFire's suggestion to grab the Dicenomicon to use in the future. I would also appreciate any suggestions on how to create custom dice that could be used with the new RPG. 

Then again, the iOS Star Wars dice app SHOULD be on iOS soon enough . . . 

But any help would be appreciated.



#5 torgeir42

torgeir42

    Member

  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:40 AM

Dev's said during the demo that they thought the iOS app would be up late this week.   For android it was labeled  Star Wars Dice.  As it seemed to have x-wing in it also.  Or at least more dice then are needed for the RPG



#6 EldritchFire

EldritchFire

    Member

  • Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:39 AM

mindshadow2k said:

EldritchFire said:

 

 It's not available yet. Apple is a bit slower/more careful/more stringent when reviewing Apps than Google, so it'll take longer for it to get approved.

 

In the mean time, I'm doing some mock SW dice with Dicenomicon. There are a surprising number of similar symbols for it!

 

-EF

 

Oh man if you could explain or tell me where to get instructions for creating custom dice I would be soooo thankful. I have been trying like mad. Created custom textual and ugh I can never find my actual dice I created. I did a numerical and found it but didn't much like the results. 

 

 

It took me quite a while to figure it out myself, so don't feel bad!

 

In the upper right corner hit the circled "i" icon, Customize, then Custom Dice near the bottom. Make a new Textual die. For this example, we'll make the light blue advantage die, or whatever it's called.

 

We leave the Sides at 6, change the name to "Adv" and desc becomes "Advantage Die." Note it will put a 6 after Adv since its a d6. Pull the Scale back to aroun 0.6—This is the size of the icons on the die, too big of scale and you can't read the icons right. Change the color to Cyan.

 

In order to make sure Dicenomicon saves your changes as you do them, be sure to touch the Return button on your keyboard after every change.

 

For sides 1 & 2 we'll leave blank, since there are two blank sides on the advantage die (I hope I'm using the right words here, I don't actually have the book yet, just going off of online pics). For the other sides, we have an explosion, Republic Wings (?), explosion & wings, and two wings. Easy.

 

Side 3 is the explosion, so clear the label field, the click on the 3-leaf clover to open up the icons sets. Choose the second set of icons, and go to the third page. The top row is explosion-ensue starbursts! Copy the Label and paste it into the String field. I know you can have it say "Use Label" but it doesn't alway work for me, so I make sure it shows what I want.

 

Side 4 is the Wings. First icon set, second page, middle row, second from last. Of course, you can use whatever you want, but this is what I'm using for now. Again, copy/paste the icon into the String field.

 

Side 5 is easy, paste twice the wings you have in your clipboard.

 

Side 6 is one set of wings and one explosion. Copy/paste

 

Now that we have the die made, let's roll it! Back out of the custom dice and click on the Dice Bar at the very bottom. Edit and add a new die. The default is a d6. Touch Done, and scroll to the bottom to select the new d6.

 

Delete the d6, touch Dice then alt, and add a "t?" It should default to Adv6 since it lists in alphabetical order. Touch Done and back all the way out to the rolling screen. On the dice bar at the bottom, scroll all the way to the right and it's there under tAdv6. Tap it and roll!

 

Notice the size of the double icon sides. Now you know why we decreased the scale in the beginning!

 

Does that help?

 

-EF



#7 mindshadow2k

mindshadow2k

    Member

  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:19 AM

 Absolutely!!  I actually figured out how to do it for Numerical Dice, but I could never figure out how to do it for Textual.  I could create them, but I could not for the life of me figure out how to add them to my dice bar…



#8 NathanPButler

NathanPButler

    Member

  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:21 PM

 That is outstanding. I appreciate the help, EldritchFire. This might end up becoming something I use with my students next year when we "gamify" our course structure.



#9 Belzad

Belzad

    Member

  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:16 PM

 The app is in the app store now! It has both the RPG and miniature game custom dice and also has a regular set of dice too. The only thing that would make it better would be if it had a landscape viewing mode. 



#10 Slaunyeh

Slaunyeh

    Member

  • Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:26 AM

Hooray! I managed to cheat Google Play. Beautiful app. :) 

Only thing I kinda miss is an option to turn off all sound except for the roll dice sound. All the whizz and whirr is kinda obnoxious at the gaming table, but I'd miss the rattle of dice.



#11 awayputurwpn

awayputurwpn

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:41 AM

Slaunyeh said:

Hooray! I managed to cheat Google Play. Beautiful app. :) 

Only thing I kinda miss is an option to turn off all sound except for the roll dice sound. All the whizz and whirr is kinda obnoxious at the gaming table, but I'd miss the rattle of dice.

Belzad said:


The app is in the app store now! It has both the RPG and miniature game custom dice and also has a regular set of dice too. The only thing that would make it better would be if it had a landscape viewing mode.

This and this. I also would love it if these features came in an update :)



#12 Venthrac

Venthrac

    Member

  • Members
  • 896 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:50 AM

Post your feedback to the Star Wars Dice app message board, gents.



#13 lupex

lupex

    Member

  • Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:34 AM

Can someone please confirm what each coloured dice are called?



#14 fcwesel

fcwesel

    Member

  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:23 AM

D6 Blue: Boost Dice

D6 Black: Setback Dice

D8 Green: Ability Dice

D8 Purple: Difficulty Dice

D12 Yellow: Proficiency Dice

D12 Red: Challenge Dice

D12 White: Force Die

 






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS