Powerful Throw Action Card Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SJMazzella3380

SJMazzella3380

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:14 AM

I have a question about the action card 'Powerful Throw'. 

'Powerful Throw' lists it at a Ballistic Skill (AG) vs. Target Defense.

In the Players Guide, Pg. 99, it says a Thrown Weapon can use Strength instead of Agility when attacking.

I have been using my Weapon Skill and specialization (Throwing Axes) with 'Ranged Shot'

'Ranged Shot' is also a Ballistic Skill (AG) vs. Target Defense.

Can I use my Weapon Skill, and my specialization (Throwing Axes) instead of using my non-existant Ballistic Skill.

I have been using my Str and WS, since that is how the rules seem to be for throwing items, or am I missing something?

I don't want to get too invested in buying an action and finding out that it's useless for me, 'Ranged Shot' was free as a starting action, so if I am misreading the rule, I am not out too much, other than the gold spent on buying 3 exceptional throwing axes.  But if I spend an anvancement on 'Powerful Throw' only to find out that I can only use my Str and not my WS, it kinda Nerfs the attack, plus I'd rather not waste an advancement on a Nerf'd attack.

My general question is, does the PG ruling on thrown weapons allow me to use Str and WS instead of AG and BS.  When I throw and Axe, I am in close range, and I am not targetting a specific area like a head shot or whatnot, I am kinda just throwing an axe at someone.  I feel Weapon Skill and Strength play a bigger part than Agility and Ballistic Skill.  I wouldnt throw an axe at someone holding a hostage to disarm them, but I expect an archer to be able to.

#2 k7e9

k7e9

• Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:20 AM

As I read the quote from the Players Guide I believe that when you throw something you can use your Strength rather than your Agility, but not your WS rather than your BS. A thrown weapon could thus be a Balistic Skill (Str), rather than a Balistic Skill (Ag).

There are several examples of actions where a characteristic is swapped out while it keeps the skill, I just cannot remember any of them now and I'm not in my apartment where all the books and cards are.

#3 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:57 PM

Actually the text on page 99, the description of the Thrown weapon trait, does not replace Ballistic/Ag as the skill/stat used to make an attack roll throwing something.  That line on a ranged action card would not change.

It states that Str fortune dice are used instead of Ag fortune dice, if desired.

It states that Str is used for damage calculation.

That makes perfect sense to me - Ag still governs hitting target, but Str governs damage and helps a bit with its fortune dice.

That means the Powerful Throw card which uses Ballistic (AG) make sense.

#4 k7e9

k7e9

• Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:21 AM

Valvorik is correct, I didn't have my books when I wrote my answer, so I just used what was supplied in the initial post. The rules for thrown weapons makes sense to me too.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS