Is the line over?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:45 PM

Do we know if there will be any more books?

Dark Heresy has quite a few books now, with a pretty sizeable bulk of content. While it's nowhere near such bloated hulks as GURPS or D&D 3.5, I can't help but wonder what's coming next. Deathwatch seems to be in a similar spot, with little left to make but adventures or rules for more chapters.Only War is wrapping up its beta soon, and once it releases we'll have a nice wait before we get anything further for it. Black Crusade should be getting a further three books (one for each god) and Rogue Trader is safe as long as they can think of more xenos to include, but I have to wonder: what's left for 40kRPG?

My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

#2 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

• Members
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:49 PM

Plushy said:

Do we know if there will be any more books?

Dark Heresy has quite a few books now, with a pretty sizeable bulk of content. While it's nowhere near such bloated hulks as GURPS or D&D 3.5, I can't help but wonder what's coming next. Deathwatch seems to be in a similar spot, with little left to make but adventures or rules for more chapters.Only War is wrapping up its beta soon, and once it releases we'll have a nice wait before we get anything further for it. Black Crusade should be getting a further three books (one for each god) and Rogue Trader is safe as long as they can think of more xenos to include, but I have to wonder: what's left for 40kRPG?

First of all, I would NEVER EVER call GURPS "bloated". While it has a massive amount of volumes, the modular approach helps your in right-sizing your project quiet fine.

Talking about the line: as long as their is a bug to be made you can guess that you will see futher products in this line. With the same frequenz and the same quality as the recent ones.

#3 Kainus

Kainus

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:57 PM

I doubt it, I would imagine that any serious rules balance in the line has come to an end, though. Dark Heresy seems like a clunky, old car compared to Only War, but considering that it's the best selling (and the fan-favorite) line, I'd imagine they'd keep it running for money's sake. Because of the premium prices they place on their books, it seems like it would be ridiculous to start a " 2nd ed." that outmodes all of the previous content and alienates those who paid that premium price to own those books. While writing an FAQ for all the books doesn't seem beyond them, the idea seems very unattractive, almost. 

But honestly, I would prefer to have to convert things to an entirely new system than jury-rig a game using OW. 

I'd appreciate a "Calixis Sector sourcebook" in the meantime, though. 

#4 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:43 PM

This line is far from over! And there are many books that I at least would still like to see and possess to run my games. Here's just a few ideas of what I would like to see:

A sourcebook for the Ordo Xenos

Books giving some more information for the Guardsman, Psyker, Adepts and Assassin classes like the Cleric and Sororitas had the BoM, Arbites (and Scum to a degree) had the BoJ and Tech-priests will have the LW. In fact I think that these could immensly interesting with detailing how other parts of the Imperium works in the Calixis Sector. 

A sourcebook for the Calixis Sector with new information about various planets and stuff

So there's plenty of room for expanding the line as far as I can see.

#5 Lightbringer

Lightbringer

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:15 PM

Gurkhal said:

This line is far from over! And there are many books that I at least would still like to see and possess to run my games. Here's just a few ideas of what I would like to see:

A sourcebook for the Ordo Xenos

Books giving some more information for the Guardsman, Psyker, Adepts and Assassin classes like the Cleric and Sororitas had the BoM, Arbites (and Scum to a degree) had the BoJ and Tech-priests will have the LW. In fact I think that these could immensly interesting with detailing how other parts of the Imperium works in the Calixis Sector. 

A sourcebook for the Calixis Sector with new information about various planets and stuff

So there's plenty of room for expanding the line as far as I can see.

Absolutely agree. Deathwatch has the two outstanding sourcebooks, Achillus Assault and the Jericho Reach, I would love to see a pair (or more) of equivalent volumes for the Calixis Sector. I know we've had piecemeal books that cover aspects of the Sector, but I would love to see some pure "Sector books."

#6 TorogTarkdacil812

TorogTarkdacil812

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:13 AM

There is still plently to do, Calixis Sector Sourcebook, Witchhunter and Alienhunter, splatbook about Assasins, whole fluffbook DEDICATED to Tyranite Cabal…

But I still hope we will get Puritans Handbook. Many argue that all what should be there was already presented in IH and BoM, but there are still many things which could be adressed such as writeup of Puritan factions, adding of some minor ones, interactions in "official" Inquisition institutions, how to operate an acolyte cell which is not undercover (you know, those pesky firebrands with "I" in poles, or militants riding in chimeras with all Ordo heraldy…) and chapter about various types of excrutiation, interoggation and mindrape.

And of course, Ordo Chronos Sourcebook. 

There is nothing as good as seeing rebel scum running out of a cave full of gas, right into the blasters of your battalion-–well, except sunrises, but for those you have to get up early.

#7 Clutch_Halthos

Clutch_Halthos

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:22 AM

This was on my mind when I got my copy of The Lathe Worlds. I dont think the line will be over. Everything that was mentioned before I'd love to see and i'm sure other players and GMs would as well. I can point to numerous threads on this forum about wanting more information on Moritats and other death cults. And i'm sure there are some resources that adepts and psykers could use to further the glory of the Emperor. 

#8 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:32 AM

I don't think the line is over. I still expect an Eldar-based game to be announced any time now. And there are plenty of potential Sourcebooks for DH: ones focused on specific careers (the way Blood of Martyrs did for Clerics, Book of Judgement did for Arbites and Scum, The Lathe Worlds does for Techpriests,and Only War was supposed to do for Guardsmen…). Plus I've been asking for a Calixis Sector Sourcebook (or multiple Subsector Sourcebooks) for a while now, along with an Ordo Xenos Sourcebook (since Hereticus and Malleus have a great deal of cross-over in the threats they tackle, Xenos is the least-supported Ordo in DH- and there are a bunch of Calixis-specific xenos mentioned in The Radical's Handbook that have never been followed up on). And then there is the possibilty (likelyhood?) of a DH 2nd Edition; and, taking a page from the D&D line, the potential for alternate settings. So, the game system has plenty of potential for new books, as long as the sales hold up…

#9 Kainus

Kainus

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:38 PM

However, the system needs to be fixed and I'm pretty sure they know this. 

Once again, I could totally picture the hypothetical "system update" as a chapter in the Calixis Sector Sourcebook. It would be too long to include in OW.

#10 Lionus

Lionus

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:56 PM

Kainus said:

Once again, I could totally picture the hypothetical "system update" as a chapter in the Calixis Sector Sourcebook. It would be too long to include in OW.

What exactly is it you see as broken? What do you want in a "system update"?

#11 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:19 PM

Lionus said:

Kainus said:

What exactly is it you see as broken? What do you want in a "system update"?

The system has undergone four revisions since DH came out. Psychic powers are pretty ridiculous in Dark Heresy. Unnatural characteristics are +2 instead of x2. Skill bloat is a big issue in Dark Heresy. Firing has been extensively changed (all modes of fire are Half actions, Single shot is now +10, Full Auto is -20 iirc)

Simply put, it's miles behind the other lines. There's also a pretty big issue of Tech-Priests and Psykers being better than everyone else, with the former now capable of doing any job in the game.

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

#12 borithan

borithan

• Members
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:41 PM

Plushy said:

The system has undergone four revisions since DH came out. Psychic powers are pretty ridiculous in Dark Heresy. Unnatural characteristics are +2 instead of x2. Skill bloat is a big issue in Dark Heresy. Firing has been extensively changed (all modes of fire are Half actions, Single shot is now +10, Full Auto is -20 iirc)

Simply put, it's miles behind the other lines. There's also a pretty big issue of Tech-Priests and Psykers being better than everyone else, with the former now capable of doing any job in the game.

Psychic Powers are only really massivly unbalanced in Ascension with Unnatural Willpower and risk free use with fettered powers. Unnatural Characteristics? Well, x2 is actually equivalent to +3-5, and now leads to the problem where someone with unnatural characteristics is no more likely to succeed than without, just they will succeed better when they do. Shooting has changed… and not in a way I like. Skill Bloat? Or do you mean Black Crusade suffers from skill amalgamation? And Tech-Priests being better than everyone else? OK, maybe the new book does this (isn't out ion the UK yet) but that is easily solved by only allowing those alternate ranks in certain cases.

#13 Alekzanter

Alekzanter

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:33 AM

Adeptus-B said:

I still expect an Eldar-based game to be announced any time now.

Can we get a Ratling-based game, while we're at it? 
If you've been under a rock for the last 4 years, FFG has produced numerous 40K RPG related supplements featuring Eldar. Why not just work it out yourself? I did. I actually had rules for Eldar "Wayfinders" and Dark Eldar outcasts before Rogue Trader ever hit the shelves, Nathan Dowdel has produced some amazing home-brew Exarch rules for use with Deathwath, The Koronus Bestiary is leaden with Eldar Aspect Warriors, Wraithguard and Wraithlords, Lure of the Expanse has Farseers and Warlocks, Soul Reaver is purported to have rules for Dark Eldar Kabalite Warriors (perfect base material for launching your own Character creation, just make them fluffy and fresh instead of evil), Creatures Anathema has Pathfinders and Dire Avengers…need I say more? There is more than enough Eldar material available. Besides, what would a game of technologically-advanced, introspective future-obsessive hippies play like? Like Dark Heresy, except with Farseers telling the Children where to go and what to do, instead of Inquisitors to Acolytes. 

So seriously; can we get a Ratling-based game?

Just kidding!
Give the Eldar-based game requests a well-deserved break.

#14 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:59 AM

Alekzanter said:

Just kidding!

Eldar are popular, Ratlings aren't.

-And I wasn't 'requesting' an Eldar-based game (I have my hands full running Dark Heresy and Deathwatch campaigns), just responding to the question about future books: a ton of people have been asking for an Eldar rpg for years now, so I would be surprised if FFG didn't have one in the works.

#15 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:46 AM

Alekzanter said:

Adeptus-B said:

I still expect an Eldar-based game to be announced any time now.

Can we get a Ratling-based game, while we're at it? 
If you've been under a rock for the last 4 years, FFG has produced numerous 40K RPG related supplements featuring Eldar. Why not just work it out yourself? I did. I actually had rules for Eldar "Wayfinders" and Dark Eldar outcasts before Rogue Trader ever hit the shelves, Nathan Dowdel has produced some amazing home-brew Exarch rules for use with Deathwath, The Koronus Bestiary is leaden with Eldar Aspect Warriors, Wraithguard and Wraithlords, Lure of the Expanse has Farseers and Warlocks, Soul Reaver is purported to have rules for Dark Eldar Kabalite Warriors (perfect base material for launching your own Character creation, just make them fluffy and fresh instead of evil), Creatures Anathema has Pathfinders and Dire Avengers…need I say more? There is more than enough Eldar material available. Besides, what would a game of technologically-advanced, introspective future-obsessive hippies play like? Like Dark Heresy, except with Farseers telling the Children where to go and what to do, instead of Inquisitors to Acolytes. 

Just kidding!

>Ratlings

>a minor unit in the Imperial Guard

>Craftworld Eldar

>the most humanized non-Human faction in 40k and an entire army on the tabletop

Hardly a fair comparison. None of the things you have listed are character generation rules. I maintain my stance that FFG hasn't given us Eldar rules in Rogue Trader because they're saving them for their own game. You know people would buy it.

#16 Hive

Hive

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:06 AM

I understand there was some mention of the future of the 40K rpgs at GenCon's Inflight Report from FFG. Can't seem to find anything about in the news-section though (except a small mention in the caption of Day 2).

Did anyone pick up anything of what was said there?

#17 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:06 AM

Hive said:

I understand there was some mention of the future of the 40K rpgs at GenCon's Inflight Report from FFG. Can't seem to find anything about in the news-section though (except a small mention in the caption of Day 2).

Did anyone pick up anything of what was said there?

The only thing I've heard about is Tome of Blood being the next supplement for Black Crusade. I'd love to hear more.

#18 Radwraith

Radwraith

• Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:21 PM

Plushy:

You have been writing DH 1.5 in the "Only war" Forum. I think FFG should pick your thread up and develop it!

#19 Alekzanter

Alekzanter

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:08 PM

EDIT: Soul Reaver, a Rogue Trader adventure supplement, is rumored to have rules allowing players to create and advance Dark Eldar Kabalite Warrior Characters, and these could very well be used as the basis of home-brewed Eldar Character creation rules.

Did we really need a fifth "stand-alone" game, or was it just a case of "we'll get the core rules banged out in a concise and comprehensive rendition sooner or later"? Going into the fifth redesign of the rules do we really need to be asking them for a sixth? I'd rather have supplements than rules. I already have enough rules to choke a hippo. Actually, I have enough supplements to choke five hippos, but that's not the point. Sure, people will buy an Eldar-based game. People would also buy a Tau-based game, an Ork-based game, and/or a Squat-based game. A supplement the size and price point of the Inquisitors Handbook could easily cover Tau and Eldar, and additional supplements could be released focusing on those PC races…but the question remains- does FFG produce yet another $60 core rules set, or get the rules situation ironed out with Only War and put the following on the back of each Tau/Eldar/Ork/Squat release: "A copy of the Only War Core Rules is needed to use this supplement."

As an aside; if FFG pulls another copy/paste stunt like they did with Hostile Acquisitions they're gonna find me standing on the front door of their offices, waiting to personally ask to have my money back. That was a lame release. Lame.

#20 Zakalwe

Zakalwe

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:55 PM

There are plenty of customers left so the line isn't over.

We've got Hereticus and Malleus, I would like an Oros Xenos book please.

Interrogator Z

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS