Photo

Okay then… how about the NEXT expansion?

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#1 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:56 AM

The announcement of the A-Wing, TIE Interceptor, Millenium Falcon and Slave-I was GREAT news. But… what next? They seem to be filling four slots. If FFG continues with that model, it's a virtual certainty the B-Wing will get a spot. Nearly as certain about the TIE Bomber (though I still question it's utility in the game, but the only other new option is the Imperial Shuttle; hey, it's no hot machine, but it has shields and lots of guns, so I'm guessing it'll go. But what about #4? There's nothing left. I really don't see a Rebel Transport, and the Corellian Corvette is far too big.

So, it'll either be a repop of something existing (kinda lame, but possible), or something from the EU (which opens up a whole new can o' worms, and so might very well happen!) OR a start into the Prequels (which I doubt, because they'll start that as a coherent set, not as a toss-in).

What'cha think, all?

#2 MarkNorfolk

MarkNorfolk

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:18 AM

My guess that the 2nd expansion wave will be larger ships B-wing, TIE Bomber, Corellian Corvette and some other ship. Basically the larger ships already hinted at and the ships capable of doing real damage to them by themselves. I would've thought the lambda-class shuttle to be medium sized so I don't konw what the large Imperial vessel would be….

Cheers

Mark

#3 Dog Solitude

Dog Solitude

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:32 AM

We haven't seen the Bespin Cloud Cars yet.  

#4 shmitty

shmitty

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:47 AM

Apparently, the YT-1300 and the Firespray are both starting options for character groups in the new RPG.  So, I wouldn't be surprised if there will end up being more crossover there.  Maybe we will see inspiration for the next wave in the RPG book. 

I would guess:

• TIE Bomber
  • B-Wing
  • Lambda Shuttle
  • Z-95

There is definitely room for the Lambda and Z-95 in scenario play.  I also think the Rebel Transport would be awesome and make for some great scenario possibilities.

The TIE Bomber will be interesting I think.  I figure it will have 1 firepower, 1 agility, and 5 hull, to go with being slower than the Y-Wing.  Which should have it costing less than 10 points.  But, it should be able to load 3x missiles/torpedoes, giving it potentially huge firepower for less than an X-Wing.  

#5 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:51 AM

How about Imperial Landing Shuttle from ANH Special Edition in the number four spot?  The mini-van version of the Lambda.

Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook...ups/6738327518/

#6 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:32 AM

Maybe next up:

Rebel/Light Side: B-Wing, Z-95

Imperial/Dark Side: TIE Bomber, TIE Defender(?)

#7 Dog Solitude

Dog Solitude

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:58 AM

R5Don4 said:

How about Imperial Landing Shuttle from ANH Special Edition in the number four spot?  The mini-van version of the Lambda.

I like this one, if they can just find a way to incorporate it into the game well.

#8 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:46 PM

dbmeboy said:
Maybe next up:

Rebel/Light Side: B-Wing, Z-95

Imperial/Dark Side: TIE Bomber, TIE Defender(?)

That's what I was thinking, but it doesn't seem very even for the two teams. How about the E-wing instead of the Z-95?

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#9 vadersson

vadersson

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:28 PM

I really think that we will see the TIE Bomber and the B-Wing.  Both are movie ships.  I personally hope they hold off on any more large ships.  The Falcon and Slave I are both fast and Agile, but this is a fighter dogfighting game, not a scale for capital ship combat.  While a Shuttle would be nice eventually, I really hope they wait.  (And BTW, the extended length shuttle is a Sentiel class landing ship.)  I really hope they do not add anything bigger because that is getting just silly for this type of game.

I would say that they need to start feeling out the EU after the cannon movie ships.  I think the TIE Defender would sell really well (and be close to a B-wing in shear firepower.)  I could also see the Z-95 as iconic.  Other cool options would include the various gunboats and missile ships of the empire.  Those would be really cool.  There is also always a chance of various "uglies"  (i.e. hybrid fighters common with pirates.)

After that, I would see a clone wars starter set followed by clone wars boosters.

Just my two cents.  I will see if I can weasel anything out of them at Celebration VI.

Thanks,

Duncan

Gold 109 (ret.)

Wesa need Gungans!

#10 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

I would so love B-Wing, TIE Bomber, Lamda wave but I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the third wave will introduce Prequel ships. Prequel Movie based material has got to be perceived as a safer bet then delving into EU material.

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook...ups/6738327518/

#11 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

Jedi Starfighters with numerous possible Jedi and Clone Pilots

Jedi Interceptor as above

ARC-170 Starfighter

Naboo Starfighter

Vulture Droid

Droid Trifighter

General Grevious's ship

Darth Maul's Sith Interceptor

Plus tons more.

Not my cup of tea, but hopefully we'll see reissues of the first wave with new cards.

#12 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:58 PM

I think like most people that it will be the B-Wing and the TIE Bomber.  It would be cool if they added some new bombing related missions, becasue even these ships aren't total dogfighters.  But they do have a place in a dogfighting game if they add some cool new objectives for bombers.

After that I would prefer if they moved on to the clone war era ships.  I don't love them, but EU stuff is very hit and miss.  Some of it is cool but some of it is lame, and to make things worse, there is huge dissagreament over which ships fit into each catagory.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#13 VaultDweller

VaultDweller

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:10 PM

I'm not interested at all in prequel ships. Finish of the epIV - epVI ships, sell print on demand scenarios and provide a few for free, release death star turrets and "objective ships"- satellites, freighters, etc that support the scenarios, sell alternate pilot card packs and "damage deck 2" which mixes up the effects, and then get into the EU ships. Avoid "ugly" versions.  Heck, put lava rocks in a package and call them asteroids but avoid blending the prequel ships in.  

Then release a new fleet scale game with the capital ships and include rules for the dogfight game where the winner of an X-wing game can affect the fleet battle somehow. That's my proposed product roadmap for the game.  

#14 2BitGeek

2BitGeek

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:33 PM

I would personally LOVE to see an E-wing but I agree that EU territory is pretty rocky. Still, I'd rather see that than prequel ships, which I have zero interest in.

If FFG follows Hasbro at all there could be a lot of repaints, which isn't so bad in this scenario since they could still add new pilot/abilities and also keep fans happy with things like Interceptors in 181st colors.

Just spitballing.

#15 Dog Solitude

Dog Solitude

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:36 PM

With the Clone Wars cartoon still running, I have a pretty strong hunch that the prequels will be included eventually.  They're a big selling point, and I can't see FFG not trying to capitalize on the popularity.

#16 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:47 PM

2BitGeek said:

I would personally LOVE to see an E-wing but I agree that EU territory is pretty rocky. Still, I'd rather see that than prequel ships, which I have zero interest in.

If FFG follows Hasbro at all there could be a lot of repaints, which isn't so bad in this scenario since they could still add new pilot/abilities and also keep fans happy with things like Interceptors in 181st colors.

Just spitballing.

See, that is exactly what I was talking about with EU stuff.  I hate the E-Wing.  

I don't mean to debate the value of the E-Wing.  (Your oppinion is perfectly valid), But people just don't agree on EU ships.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#17 2BitGeek

2BitGeek

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:05 PM

No offense taken.

It does raise an interesting point, though--there aren't THAT many canon star fighters, especially within the OT. If they do branch out in whatever direction, odds are pretty good that very few people will want EVERY expansion. Even now, I'm not planning to buy the TIE Fighter.

Sidebar: why am I seeing TIE/In in reference to the Fighter?

Back to my point: maybe it'd be best for them to go diverse and hope each individual expansion will appeal to SOMEONE. That's the benefit of doing them individually rather than big-box packs where folks go home unhappy.

#18 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:27 PM

shmitty said:

Apparently, the YT-1300 and the Firespray are both starting options for character groups in the new RPG.  So, I wouldn't be surprised if there will end up being more crossover there.  Maybe we will see inspiration for the next wave in the RPG book. 

I would guess:

• TIE Bomber
  • B-Wing
  • Lambda Shuttle
  • Z-95

There is definitely room for the Lambda and Z-95 in scenario play.  I also think the Rebel Transport would be awesome and make for some great scenario possibilities.

The TIE Bomber will be interesting I think.  I figure it will have 1 firepower, 1 agility, and 5 hull, to go with being slower than the Y-Wing.  Which should have it costing less than 10 points.  But, it should be able to load 3x missiles/torpedoes, giving it potentially huge firepower for less than an X-Wing.  

Schmitty, that is EXACTLY what I'd like to see in the 3d expansion. Since the Reps already said "every movie ship will be represented" then we can reasonably expect the B-Wing, TIE Bomber and Lambda. it's that #4 that's a problem… but for ME, I'd like it to be the ol' Headhunter.

For those hoping for a Corellian Corvette: Not gonna happen.  Even the 1/350 resin model kit is like a 15" monster; at this scale (1/200? That right?), it'd be completely impractical as a game piece and totally nonviable as a price point. Set the Fanboy dreams aside, and be practical.

EU is indeed… spotty. But there are a few perennial faves: Z-95 is one. The sexy TIE Defender is another. But expect balance in the game; f'rinstance, if they release the Defender, it'd take something like the E-Wing to counteract it. FFG is pretty clearly trying to maintain game balance - so you won't see a bunch of Dark side ships without commensurate Light Siders to balance them.

All that in mind, I think Expansion 3 will wrap up the OT. Expansion 4 will be Prequel/Clone Wars ships, possibly with a new Starter. I personally don't care if you don't like them, that's what the franchise is all about now and you're just plain a fool if you think they won't come (assuming the success of the game, of course). There's money in them thar hills, and a LOT of it. They'll come, believe me. You don't have to buy them, but other folks will waiting in your stead. Aaannnd… I'll be one of 'em.

#19 MarkNorfolk

MarkNorfolk

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

Maybe the Corvette is wishlisting….but we've already had a  hint about large ships and the Falcon and Slave 1 are classed as medium…..so what are the large ships to be?

Cheers

Mark

#20 Kordos

Kordos

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:22 PM

2BitGeek said:

Sidebar: why am I seeing TIE/In in reference to the Fighter?

*Star Wars nerd hat on*

That is supposed to be L not i 

The 2nd generation TIE fighter - the one we all love is the TIE/ln starfighter (the original T.I.E is never seen) 

The TIE Interceptor is TIE/in starfighter

*Hmm this hat is warm, I might keep it on a bit longer* 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS