• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Richard U. Pickman

Richard U. Pickman

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:14 AM

Has anyone been to Gen Con?

Are there any news on updates/expansions for arkham horror?

#2 Shub-Niggurath

Shub-Niggurath

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:57 AM

A bit late - but apparently wave 4 of the monster figures were there (according to the news just posted) but no-one let us know 

Maybe no one at Gen con reads these forums?

#3 diablo666

diablo666

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:34 AM

A friend of mine sat in on the in game flight report that FFG had at Gencon.

He asked if there was more stuff coming for Arkham

There response was along the lines of,"it was would be very dumb of us to stop supporting our best selling game"

I have a feeling that there is more coming but the only question is:What is it going to be??

#4 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:01 AM

My guess is that some news related to the Arkham universe will be presented at the coming Arkham Nights. During the last GenCon, many great games (potentially bestsellers) were presented. Maybe they prefer giving Arkham a huge visibility in a coming event rather than having it sharing the stage with other games. Dunno.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#5 Grudunza

Grudunza

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:51 PM

diablo666 said:

A friend of mine sat in on the in game flight report that FFG had at Gencon.

He asked if there was more stuff coming for Arkham

There response was along the lines of,"it was would be very dumb of us to stop supporting our best selling game"

I have a feeling that there is more coming but the only question is:What is it going to be??

That is encouraging to hear him say that.  And it makes sense that they would keep adding more for the rabid AH fans to buy, when that's their biggest property.  Richard Launius said that Misk. Horror was probably the last expansion, but of course, he's not FFG, so who knows…  I wouldn't necessarily expect new expansions, though.  Maybe "supplements" or GOO/herald/investigator packs or something like that.  There's always the possibility of a "deluxe edition" at some point.  But regardless, I definitely wouldn't expect anything new to be released (and probably not even announced) until the full wave of monster figures has been released.  That definitely seems to be the "AH placeholder" for the time being.  But maybe they will at least announce something new at Arkham Nights, as Julia suggests.  That would be cool.

#6 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:57 PM

Miskatonic Horror caps off Arkham Horror, though there's plenty of quality fan content thanks to Strange Eons which'll scratch your itch. I imagine any new Arkham material will probably be peripherals like dice and deluxe monsters, plus the old bonus Ally in the books or Ancient One at Arkham Nights.

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

#7 DeadManStomp

DeadManStomp

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:02 AM

I don't remember ever seeing a request for what seems an obvious expansion: Final Battle. That's got to be the most disappointing part of the game. It has always had the feel of something tacked on as a placeholder until something better could be designed. I'd love to continue with players struggling to get across the board from wherever they are to wherever the big nasty critter is breaking through. Instead we get game over (crash!), and now for a few minutes of Yahtzee with Cthuhlu…

#8 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:27 AM

Final battle improves a lot with Kingsport Horror. Miskatonic adds a little too, but I'd recommend sticking to eight green and eight red cards. If you get through all of those Cthulhu (or whoever) eats you for breakfast.

Probably with a "Final Battle" expansion is that it won't get much in many games. I guess some bright spark could probably custom up a scenario though.

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

#9 dj2.0

dj2.0

• Members
  • 908 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:46 AM

I've said it before - I sense a full on limited collectors edition, probably in the shape of a certain fabled tome beginning with N (no, not Nancy Drew: The Secret of the Old Clock, the other one that causes sanity to haemorrhage).  Can't imagine the cost. A 2nd edition is also definately in the Glass from Leng…this time with minis and a revised rule set that has the foresight the original did not.

But we may just get more before that New Aeon dawns…

#10 DeadManStomp

DeadManStomp

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:43 AM

Jake yet again said:

Probably with a "Final Battle" expansion is that it won't get much in many games.

Most likely not, but folks do seem to appreciate the enhancements that have been made with various expansions. We were on our fourth game before we got our first final battle. We hadn't really payed much attention to it before, and when we sat down with the rules to prepare we ended up looking at each other saying things like "that's it?"

#11 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:20 PM

Yep. If you're using Epic Battle, you won't be saying "that's it" so much. It's both harder and more complex. But, there are more meaningful decisions to be made, and the AO's attack isn't always so predictable.

#12 Doc Belmont

Doc Belmont

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:31 PM

I also sat in on the In-Flight Report, and I can confirm the answer given. I remember it more like:

"Arkham Horror is our BEST selling game. We REALLY like Arkham Horror…next question."

If we're dreaming up expansion material here, here's MY two cents…

I think they should just turn the entire "Arkham League" concept into an actual expansion. Standard Arkham Horror is pretty "generic" as far as story goes, but Arkham League goes a long way to make it story-driven.

We could see lots of developed scenarios that only use specified Spell, Unique Item, Common Item, Mythos, and Ally cards, etc. Mythos cards would either be a more narrative experience, not unlike Mansions of Madness, or they would be limited to only a single set of cards for an individual scenario. There could be unique rules, restrictions, or abilities tied for each scenario.

I don't think it would take much to breathe fresh life into the game. I really think they should focus on "New ways to Play" rather than another Miskatonic Horror.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS