Photo

New Star Wars: Are any of the rule changes worth taking into WFRP?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

Pretending to be many, many things.

• Members
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:45 PM

It may be too soon to be asking this, but here it goes:

From what I've gathered, the new Star Wars is pretty close rules-wise to WFRP 3ed. For example, it looks like fatigue and stress have been rolled into "strain," and combat appears to run on a maneuver/action format. 

For those GenCon goers who got the new Star Wars book, what rules are different from WFRP? Are any worth looking at to adopt back into this game? 

Listen to my actual play podcasts at BeggingForXP.com.

Take a look at my Talent Trees (Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion), YT-2400 deck plans for the Lazy Bantha, as well as my other handouts.

#2 New Zombie

New Zombie

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:41 AM

what i find most interesting is the choice to step back from WFRP3 components. i think it was brave of FFG to go full on with the components for WFRP3 but it wasn't a total success. i've zero familiarity with the WH40K products they have but having such diverse products to learn from can only be of benefit to the SW RPG. i'm really looking forward to hearing more details about the game and being a SW fan will definitely get the final product.

#3 Daedalum

Daedalum

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:40 AM

I'll be interested as to how much cards and chits are present and how optional and how it deals with large groups and advanced PCs

#4 Bobus X

Bobus X

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:57 PM

From the news I am picking up, it seems to be a streamlined/simplified version of WFRP 3rd, with custom dice, strain (stress/fatigue), and a few other similarities.  I do like that they seem to have picked up some of the best parts of WFRP 3rd, and keeping some of the clunk down would make for a really good game.  Makes me think it is a hybrid of WFRP 3rd and more traditional style games.  I wasn't interested at all till I saw that.

#5 Callidon

Callidon

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:40 PM

Based on a post up in the Star Wars forum under the Game Mechanics header, they are handling combat pretty similarly to WFRP.  In that hitting things in combat is easy and gets easier in the RAW.

In light of that, I'd say that Star Wars could actually learn a few things from having their designers actually read this forum .

STUFF:

Edge of the Empire: Talent Trees; Force Powers; Character Sheet

#6 doc_cthulhu

doc_cthulhu

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:16 PM

I was going to buy this purely for the good of the WFRP and the community here but I fear that FFG has suspected something like this to happen as this beta is not released in PDF format as Only War was. Damn you FFG.

The Daily Empire - An inspirational & resource site for all games of Warhammer

The Guild Blog - A blog about RPGs, games (and apparently comics) by my gaming group

#7 ragnar63

ragnar63

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:05 AM

Can only assume that they are only interested in feedback from the Americas, us europeans having nothing to contribute. No doubt it will become available on this side of the pond around Christmas.

#8 Callidon

Callidon

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:24 PM

FFG can't produce PDFs of the rpg per their license restrictions (falls under the computer ip license?  It hurts my head).

That being said, I'm liking what I hear about each career in SW having a set talent tree with more hemmed in choices.  It's something I've been meaning to do with WFRP but…I simply have too little time, too many games and too many ideas these days.  As Zap Brannigen would say "The spirit is willing…but the flesh is spongy and bruised."

STUFF:

Edge of the Empire: Talent Trees; Force Powers; Character Sheet

#9 willmanx

willmanx

• Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:42 AM

Star Wars universe cut in 3 rpgs ? bad idea. This isn't WH40K, a Star Wars PC party is meant to be a mix of character types

#10 doc_cthulhu

doc_cthulhu

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:44 AM

willmanx said:

Star Wars universe cut in 3 rpgs ? bad idea. This isn't WH40K, a Star Wars PC party is meant to be a mix of character types

I'm sorry to point this out (and by no means mean that this is only willmanx's doing) but I each time this topic is updated I hope to see a rule change that I would consider. 

Pretty please (on all topics). Keep it on topic.

The Daily Empire - An inspirational & resource site for all games of Warhammer

The Guild Blog - A blog about RPGs, games (and apparently comics) by my gaming group

#11 Beren Eoath

Beren Eoath

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:29 AM

I think it's to soon to talk about the changes. The best things t, from what I saw, that I ilke in SW: The Edge of the Empire are - custom dice mechanics, all in one book and no cards/tokens. Also I like the idea od making 3 lines and that every one is about other aspects of the universum. It looks like it will have all the good  ideas from WFRP 3e but used in more classical aproach  to RPG. Can't wait to  see the final product. The only question I have is why WFRP 3e was not made this way?

#12 New Zombie

New Zombie

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:18 PM

Beren Eoath said:

The only question I have is why WFRP 3e was not made this way?
evolution. one of jay littles inspirations for WFRP3 was a game (i forget the title) that used cards for effects etc. as a designer he pursued that design. some would argue that it worked well in WFRP3 and others would disagree.

personally i like them in WFRP3 but i'm glad to hear they don't exist in SW:EotE, although i can envisage a desire to create cards for enemy npcs.

#13 Ceodryn

Ceodryn

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:12 AM

I don't have SWEotE but listening to the Order 66 play session, it seems 2 maneuvers are needed to move from close to engage, and to disengage. I am unclear however whether characters are 1 or 2 free maneuvers?

Also, I wonder if anyone has the formula to calculate strain in SWEotE, as I am curious whether it could be applied to WFRP to combine fatigue/stress.

Finally talent trees, I wonder whether all talents are always on once achieved on the tree, and if not what's the mechanisms.

Cheers

Ceodryn

#14 Armoks

Armoks

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:23 AM

You guys should take a look at that:

https://dl.dropbox.c...e-Sheets-v2.pdf

Lots of rules that WFRP 3 is lacking (i.e. holding a breath, falling) were clarified in SW:EofE.

Cheers

#15 HedgeWizard

HedgeWizard

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:38 PM

I'm sorry - I'm not normally so negative, but does one need rules to hold their breath? Or falling?

Give me the tools - dice, conditions, etc. and let me arbitrate. I really don't want to have to memorize rules for swimming leather versus plate, or holding one's breath for 60 seconds vs 90 seconds, or something.

#16 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:13 PM

Ceodryn said:

I don't have SWEotE but listening to the Order 66 play session, it seems 2 maneuvers are needed to move from close to engage, and to disengage. I am unclear however whether characters are 1 or 2 free maneuvers?

Also, I wonder if anyone has the formula to calculate strain in SWEotE, as I am curious whether it could be applied to WFRP to combine fatigue/stress.

Finally talent trees, I wonder whether all talents are always on once achieved on the tree, and if not what's the mechanisms.

Cheers

Ceodryn

In SWEotE you can perform a maximum of 2 manoeuvres, and this only in the case you forego your action, otherwise you have only one.

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#17 Sturn

Sturn

• Members
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:17 PM

Having studied the Star Wars beta book, I'm now a convert as far as the system goes. It appears the designers are listening to issues with WFRP and streamlinging/correcting things while keeping all of the details. Certain things have become more fun (light pool / dark pool mechanic is awesome) while keeping much of the grandness of WFRP.

I doubt that it will ever occur, but if there happened to be a WFRP 2nd edition, a few things should be considered from the new Star Wars. The system does seem to be WFRP 1.5 for Star Wars.

No mentions of bits and pieces. This concerns me a bit (no pun intended). While I don't want an overwhelming amount of bits and pieces, I DO want at least some.

#18 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:15 AM

Here's a new link for that stuff:  dl.dropbox.com/u/9077657/SW-EotE-Reference-Sheets.pdf

jh

#19 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:01 PM

Here's what I think I can use in my games:

• Fear (page 4) - can use to determine when creatures run (if I don't just say,"The enemies run.")
  • Ranged attack difficulty (p.5)
  • Combat modifiers (p.5)
  • Vehicle maneuvering (for dwarf gyrocopters and nautulis)

#20 Boehm

Boehm

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:40 AM

Personally I thnk the dice mechanic is better in EotE than in WFRP …due to following reasons:

* Fewer dice

* Opposed checks are handled better so that trying to beat an equally skilled opponent will be roughly 50/50 whereas in WFRP if either player is higly skilled this skews the result severly …

Also I love the rules for gear modification … a variant of which could easily be implemented for creating high quality weapons in any low magic setting, thus still enabling characters to have something to lust for :D

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS