154 replies to this topic

#1 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:22 AM

Yup, that's right. The City is next up!

Pic from Cary Hazelwood over on Talisman Island.

http://www.talismanisland.com/

Looks like there is something in the water…

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#2 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:36 AM

so how long til they advertise here, you think?

#3 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:41 AM

Cover looks like "it" comes out of a fountain… in the town square?

#4 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:11 AM

I was just looking at Talisman Island and saw the City expansion box.

The cover looks great.

I knew it that this would happen:)

#5 Jimmythecritic

Jimmythecritic

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:48 AM

Enter the Elementals…thought that might be a Phoenix (in place of the old Lotus) but then realised that it would be a fire elemental to go with the water elemental (that looks AWESOME btw). Reckon that might be the High Mage in the top hat, and maybe a Master Thief there too…going back to look now!

Obviousy wanyed to debut it at Gen Con without any rumours getting around beforehand, but we'll hear about it soon & hopefully it'll be my Christmas present!

#6 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:03 PM

I think that the guy in the background left of the fountain is the Soldier..from talisman 2th edition..

#7 Ringskipper

Ringskipper

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:30 PM

I can't wait to hear more information about this! So excited!

#8 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:16 PM

I'm glad I looked again. When I saw the guy to the left of the fountain, for some reason I thought it was a Centaur, but it is a soldier, I think you're right.

Looks like 5, maybe 6 characters? I'd been giving some thought how the board will play and I figure there will be an actual City square with some spaces that encompass Temple's, Stores, etc. Then I think the rest of the board will lead us through an extended Cityscape. So you can wander past places like a Witches' Cottage (buy 'potions' or spells?), an Academy or University where you can study or train, an Inn to rest and heal, things like this.

Of course I still would like to see a sewer and bad areas where you're more likely to be pick-pocketed or get into other fights. Bigger rats for the sewers. Maybe if there is some 'space' that is outside the City, they could have a Gypsy Camp (similar to the card from Blood Moon) where you get a fortune (look at Adventure cards, etc.), get cures from spells (Lycanthrope?), gamble, etc.

#9 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:10 PM

0beron said:

I'm glad I looked again. When I saw the guy to the left of the fountain, for some reason I thought it was a Centaur, but it is a soldier, I think you're right.

Hi Oberon,

A Centaur is also possible.

If you look at the character, i see a horse body through the water, where he stands.

But it´s very light, that´s why i have not seen it in the first place.

#10 Draii

Draii

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:35 PM

Ah finally! =)

I also saw a centaur when studying the picture. So my money is on the centaur.

What is the blue woman? in top left corner? Looks like long blue hair and blue clothes. But her dagger has a strange position over her head and might be attached to the tail/rope in front of her. Also strange ear, och a staff or something close to it. Blue-haired dark elf? Scorpion curtisan? Or something completely different (a man with two buttocks). Sorry, Monty Python reference =)

The character in the lower right might have a hat in front of him, Beggar?

EDIT: If the one caught in the fountain is a playable character my guess is goblin or gnome. It looks yellow/brownish and have long pointy feet/shoes.

So…wild guessing….

Beggar
Centaur
Dark Elf
Elementalist
Goblin
High Mage

#11 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:33 PM

If i look at the box then i think that we got these characters.

Blue one at the left of the box = Saracen

Right of blue one = Spy

Left of fountain= Centaur

Into the fountain= Witch Doctor

Right front corner= Swordman or Soldier..

Left front box= Ranger?

#12 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:12 AM

Velhart said:

0beron said:

Hi Oberon,

A Centaur is also possible.

If you look at the character, i see a horse body through the water, where he stands.

But it´s very light, that´s why i have not seen it in the first place.

Yeah, Velhart, I think I saw that, but "second-guessed" myself.

#13 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:07 AM

Hmmm. Some interesting thoughts so far.

I've uploaded a couple of larger pics from the image for you to speculate even more!

http://www.talismanisland.com/

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#14 Draii

Draii

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:51 AM

Ah, that gave some new perspective on most of the characters.

Blue elf thingie is still nothing I know anything about. Mask and dagger… Shadowdancer?

The next character looks like some kind of aristocrat. Fancy clothes and riding whip?

Elemental elf still looks like that.

"Centaur" has a pole for capturing people. So, some kind of jailer or bounty hunter.

Person on fountain still some kind of gnome/goblin tinkerer.

The one at lower right don't have a hat, it's a plate full of potions. So if they are conected to the character, some kind of potionbrewer? Otherwise some kind of thief (dagger).

New guesses

"Cyberpunk"-elf??? Dark elf, shadowdancer elf.
Aristocrat
Elementalist
Jailer
Gnome/Goblin
Potionbrewer

#15 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:03 AM

Maybe it´s just me, but the image does not seem larger to me…  That´s weird

#16 Draii

Draii

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:05 AM

Try refresh the page. There are three new pictures added, closeups on the characters.

#17 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:25 AM

Draii said:

Try refresh the page. There are three new pictures added, closeups on the characters.

Thanks. I think something went wrong- But i see it now.

But it´s still difficult. I stick with my speculations i think:)

The blue guy looks really like a Saracen.  (sort of assassin character in blue clothes..)

But i must say that the guy in the fountain has some weird eyes..

I think he is been hit by the white elemental.

Could it be a Halfling?. nah i think not….

He has some pointy shoes?

He does not look like a Witch Doctor anymore..

#18 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:25 AM

I was thinking more about it, but the person with the black hat, could be the Inquisitor instead of a spy 

#19 Blackalliance

Blackalliance

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:56 PM

Paul D. Morrow:  Co-Creator of the Talisman City & Talisman Dragons, second edition (1989) wrote the following some time ago:

Thoughts on game design and particularly the City… Regarding the Talisman City. I know this may come, as quite a shock to many people but The Talisman City is not great. When we created it we were simply going on an idea. It was something I came up with and pursued. We presented it to the powers that be and they liked it. So it was created. However, looking back (hindsight being what it is)… the City does not serve its purpose. An expansion (to any game) must enhance play. Unfortunately, the city misdirects our attention away from the ultimate goal… reaching the Crown of Command Space and winning the game. No, the City merely prolongs this and for this faus pax, I apologize. Chalk it up to inexperience and the ego of youth.

END.

I felt the same way about the city when it came out 20+ years ago, but I didn't care.  It was fun to play and my friends liked it too.  After playing "The Dragons" that was released earlier in 2011, I'm sure FFG will put enough of a twist on the new "City" expansion to make it a little more interesting than the original birth.  But I will say this:  Can we buy the Two-Handed sword and the Full Plate Armour now or what?!  All these gems from the Highlands have to be good for something right?!

Thank you FFG, I'm looking foreward to whatever "The City" delivers!

#20 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:39 PM

Blackalliance said:

I felt the same way about the city when it came out 20+ years ago, but I didn't care.  It was fun to play and my friends liked it too.  After playing "The Dragons" that was released earlier in 2011, I'm sure FFG will put enough of a twist on the new "City" expansion to make it a little more interesting than the original birth.  But I will say this:  Can we buy the Two-Handed sword and the Full Plate Armour now or what?!  All these gems from the Highlands have to be good for something right?!

Thank you FFG, I'm looking foreward to whatever "The City" delivers!

I hope at least that we can buy many weapons, potions, spells, mules etc

How about 10 different purchase items or something that are new to the game.

If characters can get these power boosts by paying gold, then the Highland becomes a very interesting place.

Let´s go to the dragon shop and buy a dragon helm or armour. The world is full of dragons:)

How about potions that can be used as thrinkets.

Or some special armour for the warhorse, so you will not lose it if you lose a life.

How about a dragon whip. You can tame any dragon with it, and you can't lose it. It adds 3 to your strength in battle.

I like to see the bows and arrows too.

There is a lot of things possible with the City.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS