Telekinetic Shielding

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AlphariusOmegon7

AlphariusOmegon7

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:57 AM

The rules for it say that it just provides armour points for everything.  While this makes sense with most weapons (Bullets can be deflected, blades ditto, power weapons the same, even a flamer blast you could redirect the fuel stream), with las weapons it doesn't really work.  What on earth is the telekinesis deflecting?  For that matter, how does it stop plasma and melta shots, which are basically really superheated gas?  I mean if they stop gas coming in, then the caster will run out of air.  

In short, should I play this scientifically, or come up with some stupid reason why the rules work?  

#2 PnPgamer

PnPgamer

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:23 AM

This is one of those questions that will tear people for argumenting as you are asking for opinions

Go for the funny stupid way. 

#3 Ferrous82

Ferrous82

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:40 AM

Telekinetic barriers imply that some sort of extremely dense force is being produced to dampen incoming shots. I can see superheated gasses being impeded by anything psuedo-solid. While lasers do pass through clear objects, science can demonstrate that they are impeded, if not in but the slightest, almost immeasurable way.

#4 AlphariusOmegon7

AlphariusOmegon7

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:11 AM

Ok, the lasers are diffracted.  That kinda makes sense, but then wouldn't it be really hard to see stuff through the shielding as well?  Unless it wasn't around the eyes…which is actually a cool idea.  Gives it a weak spot, maybe gives bad guys with it one too.  

#5 Larkin

Larkin

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:46 PM

It's mentally projected shield, powered by pure chaos energy, and you're tying to be scientific with it? Good luck with that. Your arguements could apply to the regular armour as well.

As far as I'm concerned, the psyker's mind controls the shield subcontiouslly for the most part. If he needs to see through it he does. If it needs to darken or refract a shot away, it does. If it excludes all harmful superheated gases but lets through normal breathable air, it does.

#6 Librarian

Librarian

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:21 AM

my problem with TK shield so far is not what it stops and how but the fact that its adding more armor that puts the character in a whole new level of tough, even at a low low psy rateing 3 by pushing the sorcerer is adding 6 armor on top of power armor and space marine toughness its not too awful now but its already at the point where weapons that scratch him compleatly slaughter even the other space marines in the party.

I am going to have to end up house ruling it before the next session. it also has odd mechanics compared to other force field effects.

#7 Amaimon

Amaimon

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:46 AM

My fellow psyker in our group is casting boon of tzeentch first to boost his psy raiting when casting telekinetic shield. He has Mark of tzeentch so he's got something (WP 60+ 30 PR +15hood&focus= 105) so avarage 5 DoS +1 unnatural +1d5 infamy. That gives him something like 7-11 DoS to Up his PR. Then cast telekinetic shield to get 13AP on whole body + 7 from power armour = 20 AP everywhere, plus force field, 5 toughness and true grit, 50 agility and dodge +10 or +20. Have fun. 

Anything short of autocannon, lascannon or meltagun doesn't even scratch him. 

#8 Volkomor

Volkomor

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

Amaimon said:

My fellow psyker in our group is casting boon of tzeentch first to boost his psy raiting when casting telekinetic shield. He has Mark of tzeentch so he's got something (WP 60+ 30 PR +15hood&focus= 105) so avarage 5 DoS +1 unnatural +1d5 infamy. That gives him something like 7-11 DoS to Up his PR. Then cast telekinetic shield to get 13AP on whole body + 7 from power armour = 20 AP everywhere, plus force field, 5 toughness and true grit, 50 agility and dodge +10 or +20. Have fun. 

Anything short of autocannon, lascannon or meltagun doesn't even scratch him. 

never thought about spending Infamy points to get it higher… hehehuahMUHHAHAHA! And BoT, of course. Oh my

#9 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

• Members
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:34 AM

AlphariusOmegon7 said:

Ok, the lasers are diffracted.  That kinda makes sense, but then wouldn't it be really hard to see stuff through the shielding as well?

A wizard did it.

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS