Jump to content



Photo

Beta - Continuity


  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 NathanPButler

NathanPButler

    Member

  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:51 PM

For what it's worth, I've consulted on Star Wars publications like the Essential Atlas and have seen my comprehensive fandom timeline used by authors as a writing resource when working on Star Wars projects. I'll be reading through the beta rulebook with a particular eye toward continuity. It would be nice if we also had some other beta players heavily steeped in continuity that might join in this effort.  Any other heavy continuity folks planning on doing a continuity sweep through the beta?



#2 awayputurwpn

awayputurwpn

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:00 PM

NathanPButler said:

For what it's worth, I've consulted on Star Wars publications like the Essential Atlas and have seen my comprehensive fandom timeline used by authors as a writing resource when working on Star Wars projects. I'll be reading through the beta rulebook with a particular eye toward continuity. It would be nice if we also had some other beta players heavily steeped in continuity that might join in this effort.  Any other heavy continuity folks planning on doing a continuity sweep through the beta?

Aye!



#3 NathanPButler

NathanPButler

    Member

  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:05 PM

 "That's one!"

;)



#4 IronStar23

IronStar23

    Member

  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:14 PM

 I can't help but do that too… although I try to make certain that the other fan boys in my games know that they are MY games, which can be though for some. : )



#5 jordiver2

jordiver2

    Member

  • Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:15 PM

If I end up getting the beta, or more likely a friend gets a copy, I will absolutely join in on the Continuity Crusade.

Frankly, I'm more concerned with emulating the themes and mood of Star Wars through rules/illustrations/presentation in general. If the GM knows his canon and the players do as well, any session can be within canon. But if the products helps to simulate the setting's feel etc, that would go a long way in my book.



#6 Eddie1969

Eddie1969

    Member

  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:38 PM

Hey Nathan, I'm in as well!!!! (Got some very nice US connections to get me one of these Beta-thingies!!!!) I am quite excited about the return of the RPG!!!



#7 theDevilofWormwood

theDevilofWormwood

    Member

  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:57 PM

Not to be a downer, but FFG did state in the Beta's product description:

Eddie1969 said:

However, it is important to note that some of the elements in this beta are not representative of the final product. Much of the art and background material has been removed to provide a more concise playtesting experience.

So it doesn't look like there'll be much to do in the way of continuity proof-reading

A shame. Esp since I'm rather concerned about the art. High production value does not necessarily translate into art that gets the "feel" right. And so far I'm not impressed by the few samples we've seen. Technically fine, but missing that elusive Star Wars tone, at least to my eye. I for one am hoping either I've seen bad examples, or the art changes drastically between now and final product.



#8 theDevilofWormwood

theDevilofWormwood

    Member

  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:59 PM

[Apologies to Eddie1969 for the typo.  Can we still not edit posts on this forum?]



#9 Eddie1969

Eddie1969

    Member

  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:12 PM

theDevilofWormwood said:

[Apologies to Eddie1969 for the typo.  Can we still not edit posts on this forum?]

 

Hah, that's OK, don't worry about it… Anyway, I DID mention that on my website, so technically… you're right…  ;) 

 

 

 

 



#10 borithan

borithan

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:20 AM

If it was up to me there would be a continuity re-set. Unfortunately this RPG is presumably going to have to make reference to the non-sensical junk that has been created in the past 15 or so years.



#11 awayputurwpn

awayputurwpn

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:18 AM

borithan said:

If it was up to me there would be a continuity re-set. Unfortunately this RPG is presumably going to have to make reference to the non-sensical junk that has been created in the past 15 or so years.

To what nonsensical junk do you refer?



#12 BrashFink

BrashFink

    Member

  • Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:09 PM

You can use the the word "EDIT" in the white line above your post to edit.

I am in for checking, though I would probably notice anyway if something was fishy.

 



#13 borithan

borithan

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:56 AM

awayputurwpn said:

borithan said:

 

If it was up to me there would be a continuity re-set. Unfortunately this RPG is presumably going to have to make reference to the non-sensical junk that has been created in the past 15 or so years.

 

 

To what nonsensical junk do you refer?

Prequel trilogy. Clone Wars series. Almost all the novels linked to them. The Star Wars universe was irreparably damaged since the release of the Phantom Menace. Ok, I accept many like it, but when thinking about running a Star Wars game I am personally have decided I will be retconning the prequel trilogy out of existence.



#14 lupex

lupex

    Member

  • Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:44 AM

I've been a continuity nerd for a long, long time, having devoured the timelines and chronologies of some of the members here for hours on end  (thanks for keeping me busy ).  But I have got to say that over the past couple of years I have realised that continuity actually means less and less outside of the 6 films,  I have started thinking of the myriad of EU material tied to the star wars galaxy as parallels to the stories told of the Knights of the round table and the arthurian legends. 

We all pretty much agree that some things happened, the clone wars, the rise of the empire etc, but do the details actually matter, do they not change in the telling much like the tales of Arthur, Lancelot and the ever changeing Merlin?  

Surely an RPG is the best place to break the shackles of continuity and use the star wars galaxy to tell our own stories and make our own legends.



#15 awayputurwpn

awayputurwpn

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:19 AM

BrashFink said:

 

You can use the the word "EDIT" in the white line above your post to edit.

I am in for checking, though I would probably notice anyway if something was fishy.

 

 

 

I see no EDIT button…

 

OOOHH I see, it only appears if yours is the last post. So you gotta get in there quick



#16 awayputurwpn

awayputurwpn

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:25 AM

lupex said:

I've been a continuity nerd for a long, long time, having devoured the timelines and chronologies of some of the members here for hours on end  (thanks for keeping me busy ).  But I have got to say that over the past couple of years I have realised that continuity actually means less and less outside of the 6 films,  I have started thinking of the myriad of EU material tied to the star wars galaxy as parallels to the stories told of the Knights of the round table and the arthurian legends. 

We all pretty much agree that some things happened, the clone wars, the rise of the empire etc, but do the details actually matter, do they not change in the telling much like the tales of Arthur, Lancelot and the ever changeing Merlin?  

Surely an RPG is the best place to break the shackles of continuity and use the star wars galaxy to tell our own stories and make our own legends.

Ay-men, brotha'.



#17 BrashFink

BrashFink

    Member

  • Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:03 PM

awayputurwpn said:

 

I see no EDIT button…

 

OOOHH I see, it only appears if yours is the last post. So you gotta get in there quick

Oh wow… you're right. You cannot edit old ones… but that is fine, I mean usually when I edit it is something I missed right when I posted it.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS