Photo

There's an App for that! (Star Wars Dice App Coming Soon for X-Wing and RPG!)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 El_Tonio

El_Tonio

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:20 PM

Was just over at Bloomilk where someone posted something about the new FF Star Wars Roll Playing game (see link at end of this message).  About 1/3 of the way down it says: 

Alternatively, you can choose to download the Star Wars Dice app for your iOS or Android mobile device. This convenient die roller includes dice for the X-Wing™ Miniatures Game and the Star Wars RPG line, as well as seven common polyhedral dice for all your gaming needs. Keep checking back; apps for both platforms will be available soon.

Excited to hear about the RPG (they are looking for Beta testers if you are interested, but you have to pay $30 for the beta book -- see link for details).  Also excited to hear about the Star Wars Dice App!

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=218&esem=1

REBEL: 5 X-Wing  •  3 Y-Wing  •  2 A-Wing  •  3 YT-1300  •  4 B-Wing  •  1 HWK-290  •  7 Z-95 Headhunter  •  2 E-Wing

IMPERIAL: 8 TIE Fighter  •  2 TIE Advanced X1  •  5 TIE Interceptor  • 3 Firespray 31  •  6 TIE Bomber  •  2 Lambda Class Shuttle  •  2 TIE Phantom  •  2 TIE Defender

FIRST PLACE:  2012 Kessel Run (Amazing Discoveries, Tucson AZ); 2013 Regional (Amazing Discoveries, Tucson AZ); 2013 Regional (Imperial Outpost, Glendale AZ); 2014 Store Championship (Desert Sky Games, Gilbert AZ); 2014 Assault on Imdaar Alpha (Game Depot, Tempe AZ)

#2 vadersson

vadersson

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:50 PM

Sadly I read somewhere that the App will be $4.99.  Seems a bit much for a dice roller.  What is up with all the custom dice requirements that FFG has?  The new Star Wars RPG seems a bit overboard with it.

Thanks,

Duncan

Gold 109 (ret.)

Wesa need Gungans!

#3 drkjedi35

drkjedi35

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:27 AM

Even though I'm a big techy, there is nothing like having dice in my hand.  I don't see myself buying this app.

#4 GHenrikG

GHenrikG

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:41 PM

I agree. Instead of a dice app  I would prefer an app, which functions as artificial intelligence to steer other ships. That way, you could play solo games

#5 El_Tonio

El_Tonio

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:04 PM

I agree.  I would have gotten it for 99 cents, but $4.99 is crazy.  If few folks buy it, hopefully they'll lower it to a more reasonable price.  Check out Star Walk (amazing astronomy app).  That costs $4.99 and is infinitley more complex.  Can't believe they think a dice rolling app is worth anything near something like this. 

REBEL: 5 X-Wing  •  3 Y-Wing  •  2 A-Wing  •  3 YT-1300  •  4 B-Wing  •  1 HWK-290  •  7 Z-95 Headhunter  •  2 E-Wing

IMPERIAL: 8 TIE Fighter  •  2 TIE Advanced X1  •  5 TIE Interceptor  • 3 Firespray 31  •  6 TIE Bomber  •  2 Lambda Class Shuttle  •  2 TIE Phantom  •  2 TIE Defender

FIRST PLACE:  2012 Kessel Run (Amazing Discoveries, Tucson AZ); 2013 Regional (Amazing Discoveries, Tucson AZ); 2013 Regional (Imperial Outpost, Glendale AZ); 2014 Store Championship (Desert Sky Games, Gilbert AZ); 2014 Assault on Imdaar Alpha (Game Depot, Tempe AZ)

#6 drkjedi35

drkjedi35

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:14 PM

OK I'm a hypocrite!  I couldn't help myself and I bought it for $4.99.  My rationale is that the three red and three green that come in the starter are not enough.  There are times when I would need 4+ at one time.  However, it costs $7.95 to buy a die pack containing 3 red and 3 green.  However, using the app, I can roll as many as I want.  And the fact that is the official FFG app, makes me believe that I would be legal in tournament settings.  If this is the case, then the $4.99 I spent is worth the money.  Plus it looks amazing! 

Roy

#7 Stunami

Stunami

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:36 AM

Have to admit, I'm torn.

$4.99 is steep for an app that does dice rolling for only two games.  Drkjedi35 makes a good point that another pack of dice would be more, and in that line of thinking, the RPG dice is "free."  I still can't help but feel like I'm paying too much, though.

Vadersson: Custom dice has been a thing for FFG for a while now.  Admittedly, it's not a bad thing from their perspective, as they can still gets sales out of people in terms of accessories.  even if one player bought the rulebook for the RPG, it's not likely that the group would want to share all the dice.  Many players get superstitious about dice and such, and are likely to just buy their own set.  heck, the number of times I've seen people happy to lend books but not so happy to lend "their" dice are almost without number.  :)

#8 SteveSpikes

SteveSpikes

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:51 AM

There's already a thread for the Dice App: http://www.fantasyfl...=6&efidt=702874.  It is not only for iOS, but also Android devices, through Google Play, as well.

#9 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:42 AM

SteveSpikes said:

There's already a thread for the Dice App: http://www.fantasyfl...=6&efidt=702874.  It is not only for iOS, but also Android devices, through Google Play, as well.

This thread is several days older than the one you linked…

#10 El_Tonio

El_Tonio

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:03 AM

I think this on, which I started last week, was off the first page when the newer one was posted (so the other poster probably didn't see it).

Thanks for the info on the app.  I'm not excited about the price, but may change my mind about buying it at some point.  At  a minimum I'm going to wait until I get my game and/or hope the price comes down a bit at some point. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS