Twisting Passage (TLD, #92)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Legolas of Darkwood

Legolas of Darkwood

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:53 PM

Situation: Twissting Passage is the active location and the heroes quest succesfully (won by 8 points), but fail the locate test forced by TP.

What happens (besides triggering all "Lost:" effects in play)?

A) Do you place 8 progress tokens on the quest card, or

B) do you place 3 progress tokens on the quest while the other five are lost to TD (because you failed the locate test), or

C) do you place no tokens at all (neither on TD nor the quest card) because the forced effect on TD says you don't place any on TD - and since it's the active location where tokens are to be placed first, all tokens are lost?

Ty in advance!

#2 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:33 PM

Legolas of Darkwood said:

Situation: Twissting Passage is the active location and the heroes quest succesfully (won by 8 points), but fail the locate test forced by TP.

What happens (besides triggering all "Lost:" effects in play)?

A) Do you place 8 progress tokens on the quest card, or

B) do you place 3 progress tokens on the quest while the other five are lost to TD (because you failed the locate test), or

C) do you place no tokens at all (neither on TD nor the quest card) because the forced effect on TD says you don't place any on TD - and since it's the active location where tokens are to be placed first, all tokens are lost?

Ty in advance!

C is right answer. Most of the time is very dangerous go to TP cose you can lost there!

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#3 starhawk77

starhawk77

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:51 AM

Glauring is correct. While there is an active location, progress tokens from questing MUST be placed on that location until it is explored (i.e., they CAN'T be placed on the quest card until the active location is explored, barring effects that specifically bypass the active location). If Twisting Passage is active and the locate test is failed, there is no place for the progress tokens to go. 

I usually just leave it in the staging area and use cards like Bombur to negate its threat. Making it active can really put you in a bind.

#4 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:59 AM

ive never failed a locate test yet- theyre a bit too easy in my opinion

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#5 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:48 PM

richsabre said:

ive never failed a locate test yet- theyre a bit too easy in my opinion

Long dark is quite easy with 1 or 2 players is true. But try it 3 or 4 players. You will see is one of the most difficult quest and also very interesting and cool with 3 or more players. Encounter deck start to play some really interesting combo and since you have many cards with lost effect in the game everything is going to be much more dangerous. This like completely other game. One of the best quest for coop 3 up players.

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#6 Legolas of Darkwood

Legolas of Darkwood

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:06 PM

Thank you for your answers. Actually it sounds very logic now, but I remember by the time I posted this question I considered answer "C" the most unlikely ;-))

On the locate tests: I think they are fine. During our first two games we passed all of them easily (often with the first card), but we must have been very lucky inded. Recently I failed them more often than not, even with 3-4 cards discarded.

I just checked the prepared encounter deck and discarded and counted the cards that would be necessary until you got the next "Pass": 5,7,3,1,1,6,6,4,1,7,3,9,1,2

I guess you will rarely be able (and willing) to discard more than 4 cards to a test (depending on the board oc).

#7 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:53 AM

Legolas of Darkwood said:

Thank you for your answers. Actually it sounds very logic now, but I remember by the time I posted this question I considered answer "C" the most unlikely ;-))

On the locate tests: I think they are fine. During our first two games we passed all of them easily (often with the first card), but we must have been very lucky inded. Recently I failed them more often than not, even with 3-4 cards discarded.

I just checked the prepared encounter deck and discarded and counted the cards that would be necessary until you got the next "Pass": 5,7,3,1,1,6,6,4,1,7,3,9,1,2

I guess you will rarely be able (and willing) to discard more than 4 cards to a test (depending on the board oc).

ive discarded 17 before!!! personally i always discard- no matter how many it takes….but thats just me, ive only lost LD once out of about 12 games, so i think you could get away with it

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#8 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,295 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:37 AM

Yeah, if you have any sort of Encounter deck scouting in your deck(s), Denethor, Henamarth or that Lore Event (gee, all Lore here), get them ready before you travel to TP. If you don't have any scouting, pucker up, bend over, kiss your ass and hope for the best. At times you have to just suck up the 3 threat (quest cards add +1 to locations in TLD, at least one of the stages) in the staging area and grind on.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#9 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:32 AM

I've only visited Twisting Passage once.

Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS