An Amber Wizard Q

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Armoks

Armoks

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:53 AM

My Player asked me if an Amber Wizard can use action cards with a "Melee weapon equipped" requirement while in the beastform. What do you think?

#2 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:06 AM

Armoks said:

My Player asked me if an Amber Wizard can use action cards with a "Melee weapon equipped" requirement while in the beastform. What do you think?

Technically the answer is no. But you can rule that his beast form has "natural weapons". Nevertheless, parrying a sword with the claws and the teeth is something I would really like to see.

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#3 Armoks

Armoks

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:11 AM

Yepesnopes said:

Technically the answer is no.

That's what I thought, too. The problem is, while being in a beastform an Amber Wizard can't do much in a battle as he just can't Channel Power (until rank 4) to fuel spells (with the beastform trait) that deal damage. He simply have to wait until his Power recharges, unable to make an attack.

Almost all melee action cards have a requirement for "melee weapon equipped", even basic Melee Strike. So I have been thinking about making a house rule that allows Amber Wizards to use a basic Melee Strike action card and, at the same time, to purchase NPCs action cards like e.g. Vicious Bite.

Cheers!

#4 gruntl

gruntl

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:19 AM

He can use Mighty Blow though, which will likely be the best possible action he can do. It has 0 recharge as well. But sure, I would also rule that his natural weapons counts as being armed for actions which fit the concept.

#5 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:52 AM

Personally, I disagree. Fighting in a beast form, using natural weapons, is going to use very different actions from those requiring a weapon.

I like the idea of allowing the PC to purchase NPC beast attack actions for use while in beast form. I *might* even allow the PC to purchase other PC actions that normally require a weapon … but it would require a separate xp purchase to be able to use it in beast form.

#6 Armoks

Armoks

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:57 AM

I got an answer to my question straight from FFG.

Here it is:

Depending on the beastform and the action card, there's no reason why a beast's natural weapons couldn't be considered "melee weapons" for the purpose of an action card. It might strain credibility for an Amber wizard in crow form to count as armed, but a bear's claws certainly seem equivalent to a hand weapon.

As always, your GM is the final arbiter of such matters.

I also asked and received answer to an another question concerning Amber Wizards.

Q: Can an Amber Wizard sleep while in a beastfrom in order to use beast's skills during recovery checks?

A: The "Form of the…" beastform cards all end their effect at the end of the act. Unless there is some reason for the act and/or encounter to continue through a period of sleeping (which may be possible if you're doing some very long-timeframe encounters like travelling), Amber wizards cannot sleep in beastform. Of course, the GM is the final arbiter of such things.

Enjoy the game!

~Dan Clark
Creative Content Developer
Fantasy Flight Games

Hope that helps.

#7 LoveSkylark

LoveSkylark

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:20 PM

In beast form I would give him any "basic" beast attack for free and allow him to buy any other beast attack for XP

#8 BJake

BJake

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:36 PM

I agree with LoveSkylark. Each beast should use a standard NPC action card, GM pick an appropriate one. Vicious bite, etc. Maybe 2 for the bear. Don't allow Melee weapon attacks, but when a card says give a FREE melee attack, replace this with the NPC action. Yeah and make others available for purchase- look closely though some NPC actions are intense and unbalanced for PCs.

#9 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:18 PM

May be for the bear form, allowing him to use Double Strike and Two Cuts would be something to represent the bear clawing and biting his enemies.

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS