Folks, I've bored you logn enough with rambling posts on how I want my game to entertain. Time I put my money where my mouth is.
Now that my group and I have done some brainstorming and created characters, I'm working on a plan for the first session. I'm going to keep it as basic as possible so that we can all get a feel for how Deathwatch normally does things.
I'm also not going to plan this out like a regular adventure. I'll have objectives and starting points as well as some things I can throw at the characters if things slow down, but without trying to direct the players toward a pre-written resolution.
Here's what I have so far. It's point form as I want to turn it into a crib-sheet for the session. Any ideas / suggestions? Have I got the structure right?
FYI: My players are Fenriswolf (Gregarious Templars Omega Tactical Marine) Gav (Ambitious Ultramarine Apothecary), Will (Taciturn Storm Warden Assault Marine) and Pierre (Calculating Ultramarine Devastator).
An Imperial frigate carrying a cargo of Exterminatus-grade warheads crashed into a space hulk that appeared out of nowhere. The hulk has since reappeared in normal space; the frigate was able to keep ts Geller field active through the last trip through the warp and is broadcasting a distress signal.
- Primary: Locate crashed Imperial frigate and plant retrieval beacon. (Skilled)
- Secondary: Secure and retrieve Frigate's Navigator or deny him to the enemy (Skilled), inventory frigate's cargo (Novice).
- Tertiary: Scuttle frigate. (Novice)
- Primary Complication: One of my players suggested a major plot point of the Tau planning to create a firebreak in space to check Hive Fleet Dagon by destroying a planet in its path. Thanks to Water caste spies, the Tau knew about the frigate and are raiding the warheads as the players arrive.
- The Navigator is being stalked by Tyranids who have boarded the frigate from within the hulk (cue classic space hulk action).
- Time Limit: The space hulk's warp drive will start spinning up; the frigate's Geller field may not last until the hulk's next warp emergence.
- When the retrieval vessel arrives, there's only room for the remaining warheads; the Guardsmen have to remain behind with a failing Geller field. Fenriswolf is setting his character up as sympathetic to regular humans, so I'm hoping to put his character under some entertaining pressure.
- Another Kill-team is assigned to exploring hulk interior. Both teams know about each other; second team will taunt PC team about being in the rear with the gear, giving Gav the chance to be Ambitious.
- The team comes across evidence not just of Black Templars who hail from a lost Chapter Keep somewhere in the Reach (Gav's character is seeking the Keep out), but also of the last wielder of a legendary Thunder Hammer / Storm Shield set that Will's Marine is seeking. (Lightbulb: Maybe the other team finds Gav's evidence first and withholds it on the condition he lets them have the kudos for the mission!)
NPCs and Goals
- Imperial Guard: Hold the Tau off. Escape the Space Hulk alive.
- Chaos Marines: Set the hulk in the general direction of the target planet.
- Tau Commander: Procure the Imperial warheads for the Tau fire-break operation.
- Tyranids: Capture the Navigator and add his biomass to the Hive.
- Landing zone
- Frigate collision site
- Frigate bridge
- Tau convoy
- Tau landing area
- Imperial Guard holding point
- Warp drive chamber
NOTE: Most space hulk locations will feature a lot of debris and clutter, as well as pipes, vents, walkways and gantries.