• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TallDwarf

TallDwarf

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:37 PM

First a bit of background. Scroll down to see the my solution:

After a few days of Dust Tactics figures being left on the shelves around the dining table, my wife made it clear that they needed to be put away somewhere. In this case I had to find a new somewhere in a crowded house. I managed to get one drawer in the second floor and I needed some way to get them up and down. After ordering more and more miniatures and trying out different boxes I came up with the following system. This may help some other people that need to move things around the house and not needing a fancy system to move to a friends.

The heavy walker box can hold 4 squad boxes perfectly with some room at the end for unit cards. Check out the following photos.

For each squad box, I cut off the back using a xacto blade and left a margin so they would stack easily and have more structural support.

Room for units cards at the end

Medium walkers to come.

#2 TallDwarf

TallDwarf

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:44 PM

For my light and medium walkers I used the Amazon boxes. I cut off the tops. I placed the long sections on the base of the box to make it relatively smooth and used the shorter edges for 2 dividing walls: one wall to hold the unit cards and the other separate my 2 light walkers from the medium walker. There is room to hold the different weapon configurations as well.

Axis walkers and unit cards

Allied Walkers and unit cards

#3 TallDwarf

TallDwarf

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:49 PM

Here is some what I have to carry up and down the stairs when I want to play. Fortunately my army has increased so there are a few boxes not shown here. It includes some of the great paper craft walls that I found over on BGG. They add so much to the game compared to the flat square tiles that become walls.

#4 TallDwarf

TallDwarf

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:52 PM

I don't have a good solution for the heavy walkers so if there are any home made solutions out there please let me know. The sizes of them don't really allow for elegant storage in boxes.

Good news: a few weeks ago we went looking for a nice piece of wooden furniture so they could stay downstairs close to the dining table. The only bad news is that good wooden furniture is expensive. My wife will go out looking again in the coming weeks. She's happy as long as they are out of sight and in a nice looking container. I'm happy having them close by to play with.

I hoped this helps any other players that were having some storage issues.

#5 Algesan

Algesan

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:33 AM

You know, you can build a nice storage bench using plywood and if SWMBO doesn't like it, you can panel it or stain it.  Just make sure you use a piano hinge if it is top loading.

#6 TallDwarf

TallDwarf

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:30 PM

Dear Algesan I had to look up SWMBO and then I laughed. I would consider building something back in Canada but here I don't have the time or access to materials. We will end up buying something with lots of shelves so I place in the units. For now I can quickly carry up and down the stairs.

We do have our painting works in progress on the main dining shelf. I am looking forward to the weekend so I have time to paint again.

#7 Algesan

Algesan

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:55 AM

If I could clear it off, I'd take some pictures.  I'm thinking more about something you could put your boxes or carry bags of minis in then shut the lid on it, which is what I thought you were looking for.  Display, ummm, a bit more complicated.

Hmmm, my wife used to have a couple of old trunks that she would put stuff in then cover with a bit of cloth to match her decor and use as a table for a phone & lamp.

#8 TallDwarf

TallDwarf

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

Oops, I meant lots of drawers, not lots of shelves. It will be a tall, skinny wooden furniture (Chinese style) with lots of little drawers. Great for hiding miniatures in plain sight.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS