Jump to content



Photo

GenCon News - Update: It's now Competitive! (pic)


  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

    Member

  • Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:42 PM

word is folks setting up at GenCon have seen what appear to be demo decks for the SW:LCG! Let's hope it's true and for an update or two!



#2 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

    The Uncanny One

  • Members
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:27 PM

 Oh, I so wish I could be there!


"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku


#3 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

    Member

  • Members
  • 964 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:04 PM

 Wow, that's really good news. After the earlier debacle, I expected FFG to 'trickle out' info on the new version of the game. But if they're gonna demo it, they must be very close to a completed game… because doing the same thing to us again would be a reputation-killer (in my opinion).



#4 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

    Member

  • Members
  • 820 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:08 PM

 Oh man, just the thought of even demo decks for this game finally has me so freaking excited for this game. Can. Not. Wait. To get this.



#5 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

    Member

  • Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:14 AM

SW:LCG is now going to be competitive, has been verified by FFG employee, and will (hopefully) be on sale at the end of the year!



#6 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

    Member

  • Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:50 AM



#7 Grudunza

Grudunza

    Member

  • Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:04 AM

Dain Ironfoot said:

SW:LCG is now going to be competitive, has been verified by FFG employee.

 

Bummer. Well, one less game to buy, I guess.



#8 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

    Member

  • Members
  • 964 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:39 AM

 Completely different designer than the first iteration. Interesting.

Also, +1 bummed about the pvp.



#9 clique84

clique84

    Member

  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:54 AM

I for one am glad it is competitive.  It "feels" more LCG-y to me.  I was not going to pick it up when it was co-op, but now that it is not, I will be.  And remember, FFG has the license, so they can make any number of board and non-living card games that are co-op.  Just my $.03 (adjusted for inflation)



#10 spalanzani

spalanzani

    Member

  • Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:02 AM

 +1 bummed from me, too. Not that I'll let this stop me buying it, of course. These card pictures look really great!! Does "The Hand's Blessing" mean perhaps a definitive answer for the eu-inclusion, then? Hm.


www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.


#11 klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk

    Member

  • Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:07 AM

That's good news for me!

I'll buy this ASAP.



#12 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

    The Uncanny One

  • Members
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:45 AM

spalanzani said:

 

 +1 bummed from me, too. Not that I'll let this stop me buying it, of course. These card pictures look really great!! Does "The Hand's Blessing" mean perhaps a definitive answer for the eu-inclusion, then? Hm.

 

 

Well BGG has an image with the Jedi and Sith icons on the cards, so I'm saying "yes, it will probably have tons of EU." It reminds me of the Warhammer factions, but only vaguely. Too early to say anything but impressions.

I'm a little bummed as  well. I was ready for it to be PvP or cooperative and I was really excited for it, but these cards are not giving me that Star Wars high I was looking for. Just have to wait and hear more.

EDIT: And don't miss darksbane's recent summary of the new game at cardgame database.


"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku


#13 telengard

telengard

    Member

  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:15 AM

Welp, we had a feeling it would go this way, and tbh I'm pretty disappointed.  I was waiting for actual confirmation before continuing on my project to write up the rules etc for the game as demo'ed at last years' GenCon.  I'll be picking that up in earnest now.

~telengard



#14 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

    The Uncanny One

  • Members
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:18 AM

telengard said:

Welp, we had a feeling it would go this way, and tbh I'm pretty disappointed.  I was waiting for actual confirmation before continuing on my project to write up the rules etc for the game as demo'ed at last years' GenCon.  I'll be picking that up in earnest now.

~telengard

It'll be an exciting endeavor since I'm sure we'll have to create new cards to fill out the ones we don't know. Unless somebody inside or close to FFG can get us details to cards from the original demos. Boy, I think I'd pay a handsome sum to get my hands on one of those demos from last year.


"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku


#15 spalanzani

spalanzani

    Member

  • Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:24 AM

Budgernaut said:

spalanzani said:

 

 +1 bummed from me, too. Not that I'll let this stop me buying it, of course. These card pictures look really great!! Does "The Hand's Blessing" mean perhaps a definitive answer for the eu-inclusion, then? Hm.

 

 

Well BGG has an image with the Jedi and Sith icons on the cards, so I'm saying "yes, it will probably have tons of EU." It reminds me of the Warhammer factions, but only vaguely. Too early to say anything but impressions.

I'm a little bummed as  well. I was ready for it to be PvP or cooperative and I was really excited for it, but these cards are not giving me that Star Wars high I was looking for. Just have to wait and hear more.

EDIT: And don't miss darksbane's recent summary of the new game at cardgame database.

 

Good god, thanks for posting that link! My first thought was "Oh, so it's Call of Cthulhu with Star Wars added on?" The deckbuilding thing is pretty similar. It sounds interesting enough, and the fact that the light side has to destroy 3 dark side objectives, or the dark side has to reach 13 on their big gun, makes me wonder whether there will, in fact, be a variant rule to allow for co-op in this, as each side has separate objectives. Does anyone else think this is possible?


www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.


#16 spalanzani

spalanzani

    Member

  • Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:27 AM

Budgernaut said:

telengard said:

 

Welp, we had a feeling it would go this way, and tbh I'm pretty disappointed.  I was waiting for actual confirmation before continuing on my project to write up the rules etc for the game as demo'ed at last years' GenCon.  I'll be picking that up in earnest now.

~telengard

 

 

It'll be an exciting endeavor since I'm sure we'll have to create new cards to fill out the ones we don't know. Unless somebody inside or close to FFG can get us details to cards from the original demos. Boy, I think I'd pay a handsome sum to get my hands on one of those demos from last year.

Hm, me too. It looks different enough now that the initial game might still be released as a side-game of some sort. Hopefully. A desperate hope, anyway!


www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.


#17 spalanzani

spalanzani

    Member

  • Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:43 AM

I. J. Thompson said:

 Completely different designer than the first iteration. Interesting.

 

Just noticed this - the guy who brought us Warhammer: Invasion, among everything else! Interesting indeed!!


www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.


#18 spirit

spirit

    Member

  • Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:02 AM

Interesting deck building mechanic. Not sure what else to make of it at the moment. 



#19 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

    The Uncanny One

  • Members
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:11 PM

 Okay, quick rules question:

Are there separate zones for the starships, or can a spice runner defend against a star destroyer?

Please, help us out, GenCon-ites!


"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku


#20 dancingdanslc

dancingdanslc

    Member

  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:39 PM

I'm disappointed. I was really looking for a Single/Co-Op game. I guess it is one more game I will live without.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS