Jump to content



Photo

Immune to Player Card Effects


  • Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

    Member

  • Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:27 AM

This is probably a ridiculous question but what exactly does "immune to player card effects" mean?

this is close:

"Immune to Card Effects
The location East-gate has the text, “Immune to card
effects.” This means that East-gate cannot be selected as
the target of any card effect, and it ignores the effect of any
card that would directly interact with it. The only way to
place progress tokens on it is by questing, and once Eastgate
is the active location it remains the active location
until it is fully explored (even cards like Dreadful Gap or
Strider’s Path would not be able to move it to the staging
area)."

Since an upcoming hero has the text "Immune to Player Card Effects" this means we cannot heal the hero, correct? Or play any other effect on the hero? Can the hero have weapons or armor?



#2 muemakan

muemakan

    Member

  • Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:37 AM

 So then tell us more about this new Hero……

 

EDIT: just read it.

 



#3 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

    Member

  • Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:46 AM

muemakan said:

 So then tell us more about this new Hero……

didn't want to spoil anything, as it doesn't really relate to the question. check out the hobbit spoilers thread for more info. :)



#4 benhanses

benhanses

    Member

  • Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:54 AM

Dain Ironfoot said:

… Since an upcoming hero has the text "Immune to Player Card Effects" this means we cannot heal the hero, correct? Or play any other effect on the hero? Can the hero have weapons or armor?

 

As I read it, the answer to your questions would be "Correct.  No.  No."

Specifically, it mentions, "Cannot have attachments.  Immune to player card effects."

So unless there was some sort of ENCOUNTER card that allowed you to heal a hero (highly unlikely I would think… but possible- there have been locations that let you draw cards when explored, sooo….), then no healing is available for him.  And since off the top of my head all weapons/armor are currently attachments, then none of them are allowed either… But these are separate conditions.  Contrast this to the upcoming Bilbo hero that prevents gaining resources from player card effects, but has nor attachment restrictions.


"... but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend...."       -Faramir, The Lord of the Rings, Book IV, The Window of the West)

 

"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage."     - C.S. Lewis


#5 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

    Member

  • Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

benhanses said:

Dain Ironfoot said:

 

… Since an upcoming hero has the text "Immune to Player Card Effects" this means we cannot heal the hero, correct? Or play any other effect on the hero? Can the hero have weapons or armor?

 

 

 

As I read it, the answer to your questions would be "Correct.  No.  No."

Specifically, it mentions, "Cannot have attachments.  Immune to player card effects."

So unless there was some sort of ENCOUNTER card that allowed you to heal a hero (highly unlikely I would think… but possible- there have been locations that let you draw cards when explored, sooo….), then no healing is available for him.  And since off the top of my head all weapons/armor are currently attachments, then none of them are allowed either… But these are separate conditions.  Contrast this to the upcoming Bilbo hero that prevents gaining resources from player card effects, but has nor attachment restrictions.

that really limits his effectives, but with that many hit points, he should have a drawback. :)



#6 benhanses

benhanses

    Member

  • Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:08 AM

Dain Ironfoot said:

 

that really limits his effectives, but with that many hit points, he should have a drawback. :)

 

Yup, with his Sentinel keyword, 5  attack strength ( and 0 willpower), and "Does not exahust to defend" clause, it's pretty apparent what he's out there for…  defend then attack, defend then attack, defend… you get the idea.


"... but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend...."       -Faramir, The Lord of the Rings, Book IV, The Window of the West)

 

"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage."     - C.S. Lewis


#7 Hastur360

Hastur360

    Member

  • Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:02 PM

Just to throw this out there. This Term was under the Rules & New Terms in the pamphlet book that comes with the game.

 

Immune to Player Card Effects

Cards with the text "Immune to player card effects" ignore the effects of all player cards. Additionally, cards that are immune to player card effects cannot be chosen as targets of player card effects.



#8 richsabre

richsabre

    the REAL Gandalf.....

  • Members
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:40 PM

benhanses said:

Dain Ironfoot said:

 

 

that really limits his effectives, but with that many hit points, he should have a drawback. :)

 

 

 

Yup, with his Sentinel keyword, 5  attack strength ( and 0 willpower), and "Does not exahust to defend" clause, it's pretty apparent what he's out there for…  defend then attack, defend then attack, defend… you get the idea.

still 1 defense….im in the boat that think he's pretty useless (ok well not useless- he certainly an interesting character, just i limits his usefulness a real lot)


My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

 


#9 Dam

Dam

    Member

  • Members
  • 7,272 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:10 PM

Beorn might be a good host, but isn't all that good on taking care of himself, being immune to Beorn's Hospitality .


"A dirty mind is its own reward."


#10 richsabre

richsabre

    the REAL Gandalf.....

  • Members
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:37 AM

Dam said:

Beorn might be a good host, but isn't all that good on taking care of himself, being immune to Beorn's Hospitality .


My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

 


#11 Cunir

Cunir

    Member

  • Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:45 AM

it's an interesting effect to put on a card, but it doesnt really make any sense, flavour-wise. Can anyone work out a reason why a character would have it?



#12 Memetix

Memetix

    Member

  • Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:11 AM

I can see some rules problems coming up…..

Is the text on Beorn still active if he is in the discard pile?

If he is still immune then you can't play Fortune or Fate on him or use Landroval, annoying but understandable. The problem is what happens when he ends up in your deck (Lost and Alone). Can the stargazer see him? Can Berevor or Gleowine draw him? Can Zigil miner discard him?

Most other card games rule that the card is just a card unless it is in play. That gets around a lot of these problems and would imply that you can play Fortune or Fate on Beorn.

Thoughts anyone?



#13 richsabre

richsabre

    the REAL Gandalf.....

  • Members
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:31 AM

Cunir said:

it's an interesting effect to put on a card, but it doesnt really make any sense, flavour-wise. Can anyone work out a reason why a character would have it?

i dont particularly like it, but i guess you could say with him being his own master and as stubborn as a mule, no other cards would work on him (but as said before- even his own event!)


My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

 


#14 richsabre

richsabre

    the REAL Gandalf.....

  • Members
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:32 AM

Memetix said:

I can see some rules problems coming up…..

Is the text on Beorn still active if he is in the discard pile?

If he is still immune then you can't play Fortune or Fate on him or use Landroval, annoying but understandable. The problem is what happens when he ends up in your deck (Lost and Alone). Can the stargazer see him? Can Berevor or Gleowine draw him? Can Zigil miner discard him?

Most other card games rule that the card is just a card unless it is in play. That gets around a lot of these problems and would imply that you can play Fortune or Fate on Beorn.

Thoughts anyone?

well id say that he cant be brought back- im pretty sure of that at least

however as for stargazer im not sure….i mean you look at 5 cards and dont know he is there so that cant be helped, but tampering with him is after all an effect


My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

 


#15 Captain Poe

Captain Poe

    Member

  • Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:45 AM

Cinematically, the mechanic works well, I think. Beorn was very much a loner at  the time of the hobbit. A bit of a crazy old hermit. He didn't particularly work well with others, and didn't particularly want to. However, he hated orcs and wargs with a passion, and was willing to warm up some over the common enemy. However, as they were entering the woods, the dwarves started to give hint that they wanted to keep his poneys for the trek through mirkwood. Gandalf made it pretty clear that doing so would make an enemy of beorn. Even after they had befriended him, he was still mostly concerned with himself and his animals over the well being of the other free peoples.

 

It wasn't until later that he became something of a leader amongst the beornings.



#16 Angus Lee

Angus Lee

    Member

  • Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:18 AM

Memetix said:

I can see some rules problems coming up…..

Is the text on Beorn still active if he is in the discard pile?

If he is still immune then you can't play Fortune or Fate on him or use Landroval, annoying but understandable. The problem is what happens when he ends up in your deck (Lost and Alone). Can the stargazer see him? Can Berevor or Gleowine draw him? Can Zigil miner discard him?

Most other card games rule that the card is just a card unless it is in play. That gets around a lot of these problems and would imply that you can play Fortune or Fate on Beorn.

Thoughts anyone?

I would say his text will have no effect in discard pile or in the deck, both of which are in a "out of play state".  Card effects are effective only if the card is "in play", unless otherwise noted.  So I think he can be brought back by Fortune or Fate.  Just my 2 cents.


Once ... Always ...

My blog (in Simplified Chinese): http://blog.sina.com/b0ardgames

#17 Sprenger

Sprenger

    Member

  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:26 AM

Immune to Player Card Effects

 

Cards with the text "Immune to player card effects" ignore the effects of all player cards. Additionally, cards that are immune to player card effects cannot be chosen as targets of player card effects
 

 

 

 

It seems like in this case, that Beorn could not be targeted by Fate or Fortune even though he is in the discard pile. However abilities like Stargazer target the deck so it wouldn't apply.


Light Side: 4 X-Wings, 3 Y-Wings, 2 A-Wings, 2 Hwks, 1 Falcon & 1 B-Wing

Dark Side: 6 Fighters, 2 Advanced, 2 Interceptors, 2 Fire Sprays, 2 Bombers, 1 Shuttle


#18 Memetix

Memetix

    Member

  • Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:25 PM

Sprenger said:

Immune to Player Card Effects

Cards with the text "Immune to player card effects" ignore the effects of all player cards. Additionally, cards that are immune to player card effects cannot be chosen as targets of player card effects 

It seems like in this case, that Beorn could not be targeted by Fate or Fortune even though he is in the discard pile. However abilities like Stargazer target the deck so it wouldn't apply.

I'm tempted to agree with you since stargazer wouldn't target Beorn to look at the deck, but it most certainly would effect him during the "put back in an order" part. The same would need to hold true for Gandalf's search. How you resolve these effects, I don't know.



#19 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:17 AM

Angus Lee said:

Memetix said:

 

I can see some rules problems coming up…..

Is the text on Beorn still active if he is in the discard pile?

If he is still immune then you can't play Fortune or Fate on him or use Landroval, annoying but understandable. The problem is what happens when he ends up in your deck (Lost and Alone). Can the stargazer see him? Can Berevor or Gleowine draw him? Can Zigil miner discard him?

Most other card games rule that the card is just a card unless it is in play. That gets around a lot of these problems and would imply that you can play Fortune or Fate on Beorn.

Thoughts anyone?

 

 

I would say his text will have no effect in discard pile or in the deck, both of which are in a "out of play state".  Card effects are effective only if the card is "in play", unless otherwise noted.  So I think he can be brought back by Fortune or Fate.  Just my 2 cents.

I think you must be right. When it is in a discard pile, then Beorn's text cannot apply. Thus there is at least one card that combos well with Beorn, I feel. But I might ask about it to be sure.



#20 impaulm

impaulm

    Member

  • Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:41 AM

Maybe at some point FFG will make a "Turn into a big freaking Bear!" event or attachment card with text stating to ignore the immunity text on Beorn. That way only specific cards could be used on him. It seems messy though.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS